GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why in the world does the GPS on the '09 1800 have to be so crappy? Every place I go it wants to take me the long way around.... usually adding 20% - 40% more to my trip... and my car GPS gets me there quicker? It'll get you there.... but heavens know by what means and route!!! :wrong:

I know there is an upgrade (for $100) but have been told it's no better.... c'mon.... it's a Garmin!!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
What do you have it set for, shortest or fastest route?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep it will do that. Does not matter how you set it, it will still find every pig trail around.

I use the factory one for a day ride of exploration, but if I want to go somewhere direct I turn the zumo on.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Why in the world does the GPS on the '09 1800 have to be so crappy? Every place I go it wants to take me the long way around.... usually adding 20% - 40% more to my trip... and my car GPS gets me there quicker? It'll get you there.... but heavens know by what means and route!!! :wrong:

I know there is an upgrade (for $100) but have been told it's no better.... c'mon.... it's a Garmin!!

I would like to know why Honda made the GPS useless for routing on XM bikes. You either get a too small to use map and only 3 turns, or you get a map you can use, but have no clue where the flip the turn is until you are nearly there. The only hint may be that it is 15 miles away. Oh, and you have to come to a complete stop for at least a minute or two to switch between the two display modes (Time includes "wait for it" time plus making your way through the menus). The non-XM bikes will let you see the next turn with much more notice and let you see the next 5 turns "In Motion" with a hold of the left zoom button pushed forward. That same screen when stopped will let you see an entire route turn list from Key West Florida to Prudhoe Bay Alaska if that were the current route.... again... only on non-XM bikes only. If I need to go someplace, my Zumo 660 does the routing.

I would really love to have a non-XM radio. XM is not going to get one red cent from me, ever! That company's attitude and dishonest practices make Enron look like the best and most honest company there ever was. I'm sorry, but I must always add my opinion of XM whenever I use those two letters next to each other.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Know the feeling one time mind put me in someone's drive
Once upon a time I bought a new 08. I led a ride to the Dragon. I had never came into 129 from the side we came in on and I was using the new Honda GPS.

I have never heard the end of it, we ended up on a dead end road , a gravel one and some guys hate gravel, then went around another road about four times to get to another one, and went into some trailer park with barking and chasing dogs, so now they tell me they are never going with me again because those hill billys have shotguns. :joke::joke:

Once I found 129 all was cool, just ignored the thing.

It is a good deal for a day ride, it will find every backroad there is.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Yes, the GPS system on my Wing is much less capable than my Zumo 665 on my former ST. However, I sure love the Wing's large screen, and built in look, rather than the Zumo stuck on the handlebars. Plus, the Zumo sound volume is way too low, where the Wing is outstanding.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
...XM...company's attitude and dishonest practices make Enron look like the best and most honest company there ever was.
hopefully you're just blowin' smoke cause you're pissed at Sirius...

Enron stands alone in the magnitude of dishonest and fraudulent management.

·
Registered
250 Posts
hopefully you're just blowin' smoke cause you're pissed at Sirius...

Enron stands alone in the magnitude of dishonest and fraudulent management.
.....of those that have been caught so far.....

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
Yep it will do that. Does not matter how you set it, it will still find every pig trail around.

I use the factory one for a day ride of exploration, but if I want to go somewhere direct I turn the zumo on.

Absolutely correct I have a Garmin mounted as well
Always asked why 2 GPS's
I use the Honda just for the overview of the area I'm in

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have to agree. I believe Sirius/XM is by far the worst company I personally have ever dealt with. Why there isn't/hasn't been a class action brought against them for numerous dirty dealings is beyond me.

I have 4 vehicles, each equipped with XM or Sirius and even when they were active under the 6 month free introductory, they worked poorly at best. Fuel prices were rarely accurate, traffic updates were ok but the re-routing would take you 30 miles out of your way. Not to mention the constant loss of signal during music playback.

Then try talking to those clowns about renewing and you get 20 kinds of runaround B.S. The prices they charge are a joke and god help you if you give them any kind of access to your credit card or bank account. It's a pain in the ass but I can get the same information on my iPhone for free.

I would like to know why Honda made the GPS useless for routing on XM bikes. You either get a too small to use map and only 3 turns, or you get a map you can use, but have no clue where the flip the turn is until you are nearly there. The only hint may be that it is 15 miles away. Oh, and you have to come to a complete stop for at least a minute or two to switch between the two display modes (Time includes "wait for it" time plus making your way through the menus). The non-XM bikes will let you see the next turn with much more notice and let you see the next 5 turns "In Motion" with a hold of the left zoom button pushed forward. That same screen when stopped will let you see an entire route turn list from Key West Florida to Prudhoe Bay Alaska if that were the current route.... again... only on non-XM bikes only. If I need to go someplace, my Zumo 660 does the routing.

I would really love to have a non-XM radio. XM is not going to get one red cent from me, ever! That company's attitude and dishonest practices make Enron look like the best and most honest company there ever was. I'm sorry, but I must always add my opinion of XM whenever I use those two letters next to each other.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts

Are you sure your avoidances are set correctly?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Xm zumo

I agree, I have two xm cars terrible cost and they just keep on going up, canceled all mine.

Don't have the nav for Goldwing, but have been using Zumo 550 for 5 years and has worked well, except when I set it up wrong.
:agree

1 - 13 of 13 Posts