GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 1800 for 3 yrs now. I have really enjoyed it, to say the least. Was contemplating putting the handle bar risers on. Does it really make a difference as far as comfort on long rides, and is the installation simple? Would like to hear from you if you've put them on, and which model you used? Also, anyone know if a vender will be at Americade and if they do installs. (I heard a horror store in one of my past GWRRA mags about an install that caused an electrical problem because the individual pinched a wire. Thanks for the help. [/img]

·
Registered
264 Posts
Chris, there are two mfg. of risers that I am aware of, VP and MBL. I have the VP risers installed now, very simple installation and they do help some. I have a set of the MBL that will go on the MC pretty soon. Many have reported the MBL's are even better, but I'll reserve judgement until I put them on and try them. Here are links to both of them.

http://www.mblinnovations.com/handlebar_adapter_kit.html

http://www.vpaccessories.com/1800.htm

Here's a link to the pictures of the MBL installation.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15540&highlight=#15540

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I was in much debate about putting in some risers. When I went to Daytona, I had MBLs put in and they make a world of difference. I am glad I did. I think these are little more involved installing that the ones from V&P. They had them installed in about 30 minutes. The 400 mile ride home was a good test for them and they passed with flying colors.

I just went to their homepage and they will be Americade. They will have their bike there so you can try it out.

·
Registered
788 Posts
MBL Risers!!!! Period!

I'm 5'7" and would get a sore back on my '02. With MBL Risers, no more backaches.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have installed both vp and mbl...one at a time...the mbl's are far superior in my opinion...both install easy..one is no more difficult to install than the other.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Have had both type of risers and the MBL IMHO are far superior in fit, finish and installation.

After the installation I took a 75 mile ride on one of my favorite loops and my shoulder and arms no longer ached as they did before. The biggest issue was that my elbows no longer locked straight and that the new position forced a bend at the elbow allowing for a much more relaxed position and ride.
Due to my size and weight 6'4" 275lbs the MBL was a worth while addition to my goodies. Next to make life and long rides easier comes a Russel all day custom saddle. Already set up the appointment for the saddle in mid April. I live in northern California so the 350 + mile ride each way will give me a real good comparison between Butt burn on the way up and hopefully comfort on the return trip.

Russels must be doing something right, riders from a far away as New York and Texas and all parts in between are showing up on their doorstep.

IMO the MBL kit and a custom seat are the ticket if you experience discomfort during riding.

One small addition in the installation is that I used " Low Strength " Locktite It comes out of the tube a creamy purple color. I have undone other installations and it really isn't an agressive locker just put it on because of the location and the fact that I had been in the area before installing the VP mini block riser .

Just my pennys worth

Buck Yellow Wing :lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1: :22yikes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Clearly I'm in the minority here, but I installed MBL risers and really, truly, deeply hate them. The installation is straightforward, the quality of the risers is excellent, but for me the new bar position is a constant irritation and I'm going to take them off this afternoon and do away with them.

The MBLs bring the bars up, which is what I wanted, but they also bring them back closer to the rider and narrow the spread, neither of which I like at all. For me, very uncomfortable. So I'm going back to the stock risers.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Spunky,

If you just want to raise the bars, use the V&P risers.

I know that we are all curious, but how tall are you? For us "vertically challenged" riders, the MBL's are a godsend. They raise the bars up, bring them back and closer together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bar Risers

Has anybody thought about the insurance implication? I'm sure they would view them as a modification and thus load the policy which will seriously limit renewal options.

Definitely thinking of fitting some though since only 5' 8" and always get pain between shoulder blades all the time.

Any tips on improving the look of the plastic cover after cutting the slot?

Tony M

·
Registered
78 Posts
Neil-In-Seattle,

I know that we are all curious, but how tall are you? For us "vertically challenged" riders, the MBL's are a godsend. They raise the bars up, bring them back and closer together.
I'm 5'11". I wanted the bars just a touch higher than stock. It was the back and closer that I found uncomfortable. Pulled the MBLs off today and put things back to stock.

Thanks for the recommendation on the V&P risers. I'll probably save up my lunch money (or hornswoggle somebody out of theirs) and give them a try.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Risers

tonym
Has anybody thought about the insurance implication? I'm sure they would view them as a modification and thus load the policy which will seriously limit renewal options.

Definitely thinking of fitting some though since only 5' 8" and always get pain between shoulder blades all the time.

Any tips on improving the look of the plastic cover after cutting the slot?

As far as insurance can't see where that would effect it. People have been using after market risers for years on all kinds of bikes.

As far as the MBL risers they really help alot for the short arm people. I can now sit back in my seat with no more neck pain.

And as far as the plastic cover goes. You can't see the cuts out slots when it installed back on the bike..

Hope this helps.

kat
2003 Candy Red

·
Registered
130 Posts
Spunky the Tuna

If you want I'll trade you my V P risers for your MBL's. What do you think?

Litnlennie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1800 risers

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the feedback! I think I'm going to go with the MBL risers. I guess it all depends on the riders size and riding position. I'm 5'8, 185. With the stock position, I would get a pain between the shoulder blades, and on long runs my elbows would seem like they were locking up. Thanks again for all the comments guys!

Chris
GWRRA #166412

·
Registered
56 Posts
risers

I bought them both and sold the MBL risers. I'm 6'2" 240lbs and seem like the MBLs pushed me too far back in seat and felt like my arms were too closer together. Good for smaller riders but not for me.. Just My Oppion.
Ken in Al

1 - 16 of 16 Posts