GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am in the Philopines for a month on Holidays Manila ,Bulacan, Clavaria just wondering if any Goldwings here, most are 150s and drive like there's no tomoroe , but they do it wel,

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Oh yes Subic Bay and Manila.

Are the streets all paved now, or still mud?

You might find a 500 cc of some kind under a three wheeled Jeep.....nee.

If there is a Wing around, best have it under lock and key and full time guard.

Do bands of roving revolutionists still walk the streets?

That is a perfect example of the extremely poor, and the extremely rich.

A hum-vee would be more likely to see, among the rich.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I spent 17 days in the Philippines a couple years ago.
3 days in Manila,the rest further north in Bauang,La Union

I never saw a Goldwing. I did see a couple Harleys.
There was a guy on this forum with a GL1800 a few years ago who lived in the PI,but I don't know what happened to him.

Didn't see any "bands of roving revolutionists"..

I'm thinking a a Goldwing would have a little too much protection and be too hot,and a Harley would throw off too much heat from the engine.

When we go back I want to find something like a 600cc dual sport

My wife was born in the Philippines and her family still has property and houses in Bauang. She recently re-aquired her Philippine citizenship,so now has dual citizenship.
As retirement gets closer,we hope to spend more time there,and with her dual citizenship we are not restricted to the amount of time we spend there. I want to do some touring on a mid size bike.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spent 17 days in the Philippines a couple years ago.
3 days in Manila,the rest further north in Bauang,La Union

I never saw a Goldwing. I did see a couple Harleys.
There was a guy on this forum with a GL1800 a few years ago who lived in the PI,but I don't know what happened to him.

Didn't see any "bands of roving revolutionists"..

I'm thinking a a Goldwing would have a little too much protection and be too hot,and a Harley would throw off too much heat from the engine.

When we go back I want to find something like a 600cc dual sport

My wife was born in the Philippines and her family still has property and houses in Bauang. She recently re-aquired her Philippine citizenship,so now has dual citizenship.
As retirement gets closer,we hope to spend more time there,and with her dual citizenship we are not restricted to the amount of time we spend there. I want to do some touring on a mid size bike.
my wife also is Phillipino and has property in Manila and Clavaria my first time here , love the weather and the people are so nice
yes Goldwing would be to big for here and one could never get it up to speed in Clavaria , all roads for the most part are paved here , sort of like that perfect paved country road that goes on forever, what would kill the wing is the road detours ... Sand ... No way on a wing ,a dual on off road 250 would be my choice
Beutiful country

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
my wife also is Phillipino and has property in Manila and Clavaria my first time here , love the weather and the people are so nice
yes Goldwing would be to big for here and one could never get it up to speed in Clavaria , all roads for the most part are paved here , sort of like that perfect paved country road that goes on forever, what would kill the wing is the road detours ... Sand ... No way on a wing ,a dual on off road 250 would be my choice
Beutiful country

Is Clavaria way up north on Luzon? I Googled it and that's what I found.
I want to get up that way.

I found that I did not like Manila at all,or any other place that catered to tourists.
But once I got away from those places I really liked the country and especially the people.
Away from the cities there is a lot of road to ride!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is Clavaria way up north on Luzon? I Googled it and that's what I found.
I want to get up that way.

I found that I did not like Manila at all,or any other place that catered to tourists.
But once I got away from those places I really liked the country and especially the people.
Away from the cities there is a lot of road to ride!
Yes Clavaria is up north on Luzon. On the coast ,Beutiful beach , only tourist I saw was me, stick out white guy , great place and most roads paved

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Yes Clavaria is up north on Luzon. On the coast ,Beutiful beach , only tourist I saw was me, stick out white guy , great place and most roads paved
My brother in law was there the same time I was.I'm 5'11" and about 260 and he probably 6'1" and about 260,so we stuck out like a couple sore thumbs!
If you drove up from Manila,you drove right past my wife's place in Bauang,as it is right on the main highway.

We got as far north as Vigan City in a car. Next time hope to have some kind of motorcycle and travel even more!

Enjoy your time in the PI!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ah the PI. Was there twice while in USAF. 1st time Jan 83 thru Jul 84 at Camp O'Donnell (30 miles north of Clark AFB). Second time was at Wallace AS (100 miles north of Clark AFB) Sep 86 thru Sep 87. Bought a used 81/82 Honda CM400 from my roommate. My 1st street bike. Off base around Clark was an interesting place to learn initial city street riding skills. Especially considering that at that time, the local Filipinos were not allowed to have bikes over 100cc (at least that was what we were told). Rabbit buses ruled the road because size == right of way.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My brother in law was there the same time I was.I'm 5'11" and about 260 and he probably 6'1" and about 260,so we stuck out like a couple sore thumbs!
If you drove up from Manila,you drove right past my wife's place in Bauang,as it is right on the main highway.

We got as far north as Vigan City in a car. Next time hope to have some kind of motorcycle and travel even more!

Enjoy your time in the PI!
Yes drove by your wife's house last night as we did an all nighter bus ride from Pisukin to Manila ,on the bus I was thinking at 3 in the morning this is a perfect motorcycle road ,temp mid 80s would love to be on a 250 .. There was very little traffic ..will be going by your wife's house again next week as my step daughter has a school reunion in Pisukin ...Manila.. Yikes!!!they drive like well organized crazy maniacs ..Manila not to my liking either

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Yes drove by your wife's house last night as we did an all nighter bus ride from Pisukin to Manila ,on the bus I was thinking at 3 in the morning this is a perfect motorcycle road ,temp mid 80s would love to be on a 250 .. There was very little traffic ..will be going by your wife's house again next week as my step daughter has a school reunion in Pisukin ...Manila.. Yikes!!!they drive like well organized crazy maniacs ..Manila not to my liking either
If you happen to be looking for it,as you drive through Bauang,one of the local landmarks is the "Mark-Theresa",often used as a bus stop.
It is a large motel with some apartments.It is right next door to my wife's family home.The famliy home is a "compound",completely fenced in and protected.

We hired a driver for our time in Manila,but I think I could get used to driving outside of Manila.

This conversation is making me want to go back now!

I just Googled "Galiano Island" and realized we don't live too far apart here at home!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you happen to be looking for it,as you drive through Bauang,one of the local landmarks is the "Mark-Theresa",often used as a bus stop.
It is a large motel with some apartments.It is right next door to my wife's family home.The famliy home is a "compound",completely fenced in and protected.

We hired a driver for our time in Manila,but I think I could get used to driving outside of Manila.

This conversation is making me want to go back now!

I just Googled "Galiano Island" and realized we don't live too far apart here at home!
Will take a look for the house when we go through ,we have had a driver and vehicle a number of times as one of my wife's relatives owns the Delta Star company here but for a lot of it ,tricycle ,Jeepnee or bus
Hard to say what is more hazardous in Manila , riding a motorcycle or walking crossing roads ,have ridden a bike outside of Manila but the odds of surviving in Manila for me are not good enough to attempt
Yes we don't live to far apart we have relatives on Whitbey Island we come down to see occasionally
will contact when we do
Larry/Trelly

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Will take a look for the house when we go through ,we have had a driver and vehicle a number of times as one of my wife's relatives owns the Delta Star company here but for a lot of it ,tricycle ,Jeepnee or bus
Hard to say what is more hazardous in Manila , riding a motorcycle or walking crossing roads ,have ridden a bike outside of Manila but the odds of surviving in Manila for me are not good enough to attempt
Yes we don't live to far apart we have relatives on Whitbey Island we come down to see occasionally
will contact when we do
Larry/Trelly
Picture of the wife's family home.
It's right on the highway on the east side,right next to the Mark-Theresa.

I know it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack,but I'm told the bus drivers all know where the Mark-Theresa is in Bauang

Attachments

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picture of the wife's family home.
It's right on the highway on the east side,right next to the Mark-Theresa.

I know it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack,but I'm told the bus drivers all know where the Mark-Theresa is in Bauang
Hi Jeff, your house is still there and looks good:) I didn't realise Bauang was so big. Further on down the road I was sitting up front in bus and noticed a motorcycle headed toward us in our lane swerving at the last minute and throwing a rock at the bus hitting right were the driver it almost penetrated and the driver got some glass in eye but was ok ..we stopped for 45 minutes and then proceded spider web window and all

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Hi Jeff, your house is still there and looks good:) I didn't realise Bauang was so big. Further on down the road I was sitting up front in bus and noticed a motorcycle headed toward us in our lane swerving at the last minute and throwing a rock at the bus hitting right were the driver it almost penetrated and the driver got some glass in eye but was ok ..we stopped for 45 minutes and then proceded spider web window and all
Wow, you actually found the place?! Cool!

Guess the biker wasn't happy with the way the buses crowd them on the roads?:shock:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, you actually found the place?! Cool!

Guess the biker wasn't happy with the way the buses crowd them on the roads?:shock:
Yea they sure do that don't they..I was told it could also be from the bus not stopping on previous trip
anyway it sure made for an exciting ride.. Gotta love the weather here 90 day but not as muggy as I thought it would be and high 70 low 80s at night

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Gotta love the weather here 90 day but not as muggy as I thought it would be and high 70 low 80s at night
That surprised me too. I was able to stay a lot more comfortable than I thought I would. I did spend a lot of time in the ocean and a couple of swimming pools.Even a river.
The worst time I had dealing with the heat was after I spent too much time in the ocean one afternoon and got a really bad sunburn!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts