GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 1800 CSC that intermittently stop charging without warning other than volt meter dropping to 11 volts before draining battery. Dealer has replaced battery, alternator, both handlebar switches, ECM and tested wires and connector. Problem still exist.
Have anyone experienced problem or have any ideas what to try. Bike will something kill battery in 20 ~30 miles and other times you can ride 200~300 mile without a problem

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
Does the cruise control work? Did the dealer check fuse #19? It will kill the charging circuit and cruise. Possibly a loose connection in that circuit?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Does your cruise control work? It's on the same circuit as the alternator and if fuse 19 blows both will stop working.
I always leave my cruise control main switch on so I can see the cruise indicator lit up on the dash. If that light goes out I will know to check fuse 19.
If the dealer replaced the hand controls a wire could have been pinched where it goes through the handlebar. It's happened to several riders on this forum.
Since your problem is intermittent it sounds like a pinched wire that occasionally grounds out.
Ralph Wenzl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Intermittent Charging

Earlier this year, my 2002 GL1800 suffered the same problem. The last time it died on me was 20 minutes after picking it up from the shop where the alternator was replaced. Have your service people check out the throttle cancel switch. Mine rubbed the wire raw. This would have been a pricey job if they had done it right the first time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts