GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new and may have missed an earlier post. If so, forgive me. I've seen photos of 1800's that are converted to police bikes. Anyone on the Board use one or looked one over. What changes are there from a regular wing?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
If you do a search, there have been a couple of posts with photos of GL1800 police bikes. Some have had the trunk removed and a radio unit and solo seat mounted. You might also try a google search. I believe Fort Wayne, IN and San Antonio, TX are a couple of PDs that have a few of the GL1800s.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I got my first ticked in nearly half million miles last month by a Sherrif's deputy on a Wing.

He wanted to give a ticket to a Wing rider, since the pickup in front of me was going faster and pulling away. He could not have gotten me behnd the truck and I was going 71, not 78. Also, I have a candy red bike not a maroon bike as he listed.

The paint scheme that Bexar County chose for the deputies bikes is really attractive.

It will be a kangaroo court setup, so.....

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Yes, any LEO on a Wing would have to keep in mind that he can't judge speed based on the Wing's speedometer... Perhaps a sticker on the inside of the windshield should serve as a reminder. Maybe we could print some up and donate them to police departments. Something like, "Objects up ahead are slower than your speedometer indicates."

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hoover, Alabama (kind of a suburb of Birmingham) has Wings, too. Sorry I don't have any pics.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
bluewing05 said:
The ones they're testing here in Jacksonville look very similar to this. No trunk and a chopped off seat. One of these days, I'll have my camera with me and get some shots.

Bartman

·
Registered
135 Posts
All this talk about cops riding wings got me thinking about the radio and cb interface. Do you think they have a mobile unit on the bike in addition to their hand held? And if so, do you think honda specifically made an interface for them to use the built in CB controls to access their police radio so it will work as integrated? If so, that would certinly prove that it is possible to use something other than honda's very overpriced cb in the bike. The trick would be just getting the interface.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If you go up and look at the link from MOTORDEPUTY's post I think you can see... It looks like everything is bolt on type equipment.
They have controller heads for all the different equipment mounted somewhere... It doesn't even look to me like they use the standard intercom interface... (I could be wrong on that.)

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
talk about Lucky Leo's!!!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Skagit County WA is using ST 1300 nice bikes !!!!!!!!
Don't ask me how I know 8) 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts