GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have detailed instructions for replacing the drive shaft on a csc trike? I am looking for instructions for the replacement that a gentleman sell from 1 of the Carolinas. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Contact Mountain Trikes http://www.mountaintrikes.com/ they don't show it on their website but they have a replacement driveshaft.
I went with the new CSC gen III driveshaft, it replaces the transfer case and is a solid driveshaft with u-joints at both ends. Either option is about the same $ wise. Both require a lot of work.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I looked but did not find. It surely cannot be hard, a few bolts at each coupling, maybe take a support out of the way or add one.

Jack that thing up and put some safety ramps under it and unbolt whatever and put on whatever. Cannot be too difficult.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Is your shaft welded now? There should be 4 bolts at the rearend that need to be taken out. Then it should pull out of the back of transmission. If your shaft is welded you may have to cut it in 2. The new one will slide back into the transmission and bolt back to the rearend.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Wheels,

Good information if his driveshaft has not been welded as per the CSC bulletin, but it doesn't cover getting a new Mountain Trikes or CSC gen III shaft installed. For either one of the new shafts the body needs to come off and the rear end unbolted and moved back a bit. When they did my conversion to the CSC gen III driveshaft they completely removed the rear end. That's per CSC's installation instructions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2010 CSC conversion on a 2003 GW. This is an older version of the current model sold by CSC. It has their in-line drive shaft with a transfer case to couple to the rear end. I replaced the driveshaft two years ago with the unit sold by Mountain Trikes.

If you have not welded the shaft per the CSC bulletin, you can install the new system without complications. First of all,the body DOES NOT come off and the rear end does not have to be moved back, but you have to get the trike up high enough to work comfortably underneath it. I have a professional trike lift, but most people don't. You are going to do a lot of work under there and SAFETY is critical. Stan, the owner of Mountain Trikes, includes directions, but this is NOT a beginners project. If you are not comfortable working with CV joints, their associated hardware and proper torqueing technique, take it to a professional mechanic.

The new driveshaft is wonderful and I cannot say enough good about it. However, the preparation and installation were a lot of work and attention to detail is important. I have pictures of what I did. Send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will correspond.

Good Luck,
Ken

·
Registered
131 Posts
Took my 02 Wing with 06 CSC trike conversion to Mountain Trikes in September. Stan replaced my GEN I setup with the CSC GEN III drive shaft. Took him and his helper a day and a half WITHOUT removing the rear portion of the body. He could have done it quicker but had a few problems due to the way my kit was originally put on. Cost was WAY less than what the factory wanted. Rides great. Much smoother and I can roll it much easier in the garage. Gas mileage went up over 10%.:thumbup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CSC trike drive shaft replacement instructions

To everyone who replied to my question about the replacement drive shaft. First my drive shaft is welded by my dealer who is a CSC dealer. I did talk to Stan at Mountain Trikes about price and instructions. I really would like to be able to study these directions before deciding if I can do the job or not. So I was hoping for a set of the instructions to read over. My email is [email protected]. Thanks to all who have replied

·
Vendor
17,355 Posts
I too would like to hear any current info on how they are holding up.

Thank You
[email protected]
You probably know that the this tread is 2 years old.

Regarding CSC's drive shafts. I think Gen III is where the drive shaft is more inline with the output shaft from the motor. If so, it probably corrects their drive shaft issue.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Me too. It frustrates me when someone requests help then leaves everyone hanging. Many of us search for topics that are of interest to us and when you come across one then left hanging it sticks. It's just consideration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts