GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one remedy that might be handy,so I am passing it along.The rubber gasket that goes around the inside of the 1800 trunk lid compresses to easy and does not seem to be enough to prevent rubbing of the inside of the lid with the trunk causing a lot of wear. I found that by inserting (windshield washer tubing) size 7/64 inside the gasket makes the lid fit alot better and greatly reduces the wear.:p

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I found one remedy that might be handy,so I am passing it along.The rubber gasket that goes around the inside of the 1800 trunk lid compresses to easy and does not seem to be enough to prevent rubbing of the inside of the lid with the trunk causing a lot of wear. I found that by inserting (windshield washer tubing) size 7/64 inside the gasket makes the lid fit alot better and greatly reduces the wear.:p
Before the flames start flying; welcome! You've got a lot to learn and you'll enjoy most of it.

B

·
0 Posts
Yea, Rick:

You'll find that remedy has been around for quite awhile but it doesn't completely remedy the problem. It tightens up the seal but the wear will still continue until, like most of us have done, use the soft side of velcro tape along the edges that wear. This seems to have stopped it for most of us. Welcome to the zoo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, Rick:

You'll find that remedy has been around for quite awhile but it doesn't completely remedy the problem. It tightens up the seal but the wear will still continue until, like most of us have done, use the soft side of velcro tape along the edges that wear. This seems to have stopped it for most of us. Welcome to the zoo.
Thanks I figured when I posted it might have been already known.I like the soft sided velcro idea and will be trying it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome aboard, Nasty.

Ride safe when you can put that thing on the road in a couple months.
Thanks ,already have ridden 5 times to various local destinations weather is good and improving.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome aboard, Nasty.

Ride safe when you can put that thing on the road in a couple months.

In a couple of months? Most of us in Southern Ontario should have been out already. The roads are actually pretty decent and most, if not all the salt/sand is gone.

The weather has been quite good here, with an early winter thaw. I've been riding since the middle of March. Not every day mind you. We've had some 30f days, which is a little chilly on a bike.

Now my relatives up north still have snow up until 2 weekends ago, and those roads that are clear of snow are FULL of sand. They haven't been out yet, and its probably a good thing. I rode my uncle's wing back for him and had to be SUPER careful.

Jason

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome Nasty..as noted your suggestion has been around for a while and it works to some degree (I have done it to my bike as well). It is worth you using the search feature on this board to find just about anything you're interested doing to or for maintaining your bike.

Ride safe...looks like we are going to get very good riding weather in the next couple of days...it's about time...I was getting very tired of winter!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
We had this problem also and solved it by splitting one end of the rubber gasket on thetrunk lid and feeding a piece of soft nylon rope through th gasket. This made the gasket a little stronger and kept it from rubbing on the bottom part but still making a good seal. Have had no problems so far and have done this fix on anumber of bikes

i am sure there are lots of other solutions that work just as well. Everyone paddles their own boat.

Safe riding

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I was getting a lot of wear on the inside corners of the trunk lid of my 2008. I just added the wingrider trunk support system. I like the idea of supporting the lid with rubber bumpers. I hope it works as advertised.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I was getting a lot of wear on the inside corners of the trunk lid of my 2008. I just added the wingrider trunk support system. I like the idea of supporting the lid with rubber bumpers. I hope it works as advertised.
:agree:

I just installed the Wingrider systems and I give it three :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Excellent engineering and the truck lid simply does not move anymore. They did supply felt "dots" to install on the lower case to help prevent the rubbing but since the top is now supported the suspect the rubbing will be minimal.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
:agree:With the Wingrider support. I installed it on my 06 and it feels like it will do the job..

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Rubber baby buggy bumpers!
Yup, got 'em but still noticed a tiny bit of rubbing on the corners that I placed velcro over to eliminate. Now happy with it. The corners didn't start until after I put the Trunk Rack on.

There was another guy here that recommended washers between the inner trunk lid and the outer lid. That would space the outer trunk lid up higher. I liked that idea, and might have tried it if I hadn't already got the RBBs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Welcome

Thanks everyone for the welcome.I,m sure I will get flamed at some point, but hopefully the burner will be on low.
The wingrider stuff sure looks like the answer to the trunk chaffing to bad cannot get it in Canada.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thanks everyone for the welcome.I,m sure I will get flamed at some point, but hopefully the burner will be on low.
The wingrider stuff sure looks like the answer to the trunk chaffing to bad cannot get it in Canada.:thumbup:
Did you call or email them? Not sure why you can't get it in Canada but I suppose they have their reasons. I've bought and sold parts into and out of Canada and it's a hassle but doable.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts