GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam going to replace my front wheel bearings. Is there an easy way to remove the bearings without the special Honda tool? I watched Freds Videos he did not have much luck without the tool. Thanks for any suggestions. Bob

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was able to do it without much of a problem. I used a socket extension (about 10" long). With the tire/rim lying flat on the ground, put the female end of the extension through the center of the bearing closest to you, and get the edge of the extension onto the edge of the lower bearing. There isn't much of an edge, but it is certainly doable. Give the male end of the extension a couple of taps with a hammer. Once the bearing moves a little, move the extension around the perimeter of the bearing while tapping it with the hammer. Once that bearing is out, turn the wheel over to get at the other one. The second one will be easier than the first.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Iam going to replace my front wheel bearings. Is there an easy way to remove the bearings without the special Honda tool? I watched Freds Videos he did not have much luck without the tool. Thanks for any suggestions. Bob
REDEYE can offer up some comment on this, I don't remember the details... I use a Harbor Freight blind hole bearing puller and a BFH. At our last work party at Quickdraw's place we ran into a really stubborn wheel bearing removal. All I remember is it required a BFH, heat gun and a lot of sweating on my part.

Once you get the bearings out, notch the spacer so that you can get a normal size punch inside to drive those baby's out. You only need a pair of notches on one end. Sometimes you can get lucky with a concrete anchor, but all I did is mangle the hell out of it. So I went with the blind hole puller.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I used a four dollar concrete anchor, the kind that has a cone wedge that is pulled into the end with a bolt, it worked great but you do want to pull only one bearing from a side at a time.
Jakec

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Are the so far gone that you can't pop the dust covers out, use a dental pick, I got them at harbor freight. repack the bearing and replace. no need to pull the bearing out of the wheel that way.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Why are you changing them??
Issues or preventative maintenance?
How many miles on them?

·
Registered
73 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bearings

I am going to replace brake rotors,so as long as I have the wheel off I thought I would replace bearings as preventive maintaince. I have 55k and it is an 02.

·
Registered
154 Posts
These are double bearings , two on each side. Pulling the cover off and regreasing them you can only do the outside bearing on each side and the inside bearing will get nothing.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just swing by your local AutoZone Auto Parts store and borrow their internal bearing puller set. They may require a refundable deposit but there is no charge to borrow their tools.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I am going to replace brake rotors,so as long as I have the wheel off I thought I would replace bearings as preventive maintaince. I have 55k and it is an 02.

[email protected]!!! i THOUGHT I was hard on brakes!! 55K the bearings are still good!!! they are good untill about 100K why are you changing your rotors???

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am changing the rotors because I have 1 that has a slight pulsation when braking hard. They both look good but 1 has a slight warp, I could live with them but want to replace them anyway. I think the warped 1 happened at the last tire change. I had a tire put on and then left for West Virgina, I noticed the pulsation at that time when riding the twisty curves. I dont want to take a chance on my brakes.The bearings are probley still good but as long as Iam taking everything apart I will change them also. Bob

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the harbor freight tool and turned it into scrap trying to get a really stuborn set of bearings out. Now I have a brass drift just smaller than the axle. I cut a slot about an inch long into one end. it works like honda's special tool , just alot cheaper

greg

·
Registered
80 Posts
I spot welded little knobs on the inside of the bearing and punched them out from the other side. Repeated the process for all the others. Worked great and no damage. Replaced bearings with All Balls and what a difference. Wow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts