GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate thoughts and insights into a problem that recently developed with my 2007 GW's battery, which I purchased new in August 2007 and was delivered to the dealer in March 2007. The bike is always connected to a Extreme Charger (maintenance charger) when parked.
Yesterday, I unplugged the charger from the battery (ponytail makes hook ups quick). At that time the charger showed the battery at 100% of capacity. I rode for 200 miles with the seat warmer and heated grips at maximum warmth. These are the OEM seats and grips. I have the comfort, Nav, ABS package. I also had the OEM LED fog lights on and my Ipod (battery powered) playing. After riding 200 miles and about 3.5 hours, I returned home. For the first time ever, upon connecting the maintenance charger to the battery, it showed 50%. Normally, it will briefly show 75% of capacity and within 5 minutes display 100%. However, this time the charger displayed 75% with a few minutes, but 18 hours later, it still has not reached 100%. Is it time to replace the battery. Why would the battery drain at all while riding. Shouldn't the alternator be supplying the energy required by the heated seats and hand grips? Any help would be appreciated. (I checked the battery terminals and they seem secure.) Thanks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You could have a defective battery, but for your piece of mind you should check your charging system. It should be putting out around 14-14.5V across the terminals with the rpms up. I'd also check the voltage while turning on your accessories one at a time to see if one of them is drawing a heavy load.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 08 Premium Audio. The battery went dead after 3 months and 1400 miles. The dealer tried to say it wasn't under warranty, and after raising all kinds of ugly hell in the place, Honda was called, and they told the dealer to replace it, which they did. The dealer wrote on the receipt that this new battery was only warranted for 1 year. I later called Honda and was informed that what ever time remained on my original 3 yr warranty covers the replaced battery as well.
Don't take what the dealer tells you as last word!!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Check out Rider magazine. There is an article in the maintenance/repair section on the correct method of installing a battery and what can happen if it is completed incorrectly. Sorter battery life and shorted plates come to mind. The article was in one of the last couple issues which I just read a couple days ago.
I would also do as stated earlier and check the charging system, is something else on the draw?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I have all my bikes on their individual Battery Tender. I notice, on rare occasions, the green light flashing, which means the battery has reached 80% of its charging capacity. But, I've also noticed that this flashing condition last for a long time.

When I tried momentarily disconnecting the power source from the Battery Tender and replugging it in the outlet, the green light then comes on and stays that way. Is it a glitch in the Battery Tender? I don't know. But this condition doesn't happen all the time which, in my mind, rules out a defective charger.

You may try this test to see if your battery maintainer is acting the same way.

Mike

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke to technical support at Extreme Charger. They told me not to worry. They said it sounds like the charger is giving the battery a very deep charge, which is preferred. Seems strange to me that its never taken this long before. If the charger determines that the battery can not reach a full charge, the dead battery light will come on. I'll monitor the situation a little longer before taking the bike to the dealer. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I spoke to technical support at Extreme Charger. They told me not to worry. They said it sounds like the charger is giving the battery a very deep charge, which is preferred. Seems strange to me that its never taken this long before. If the charger determines that the battery can not reach a full charge, the dead battery light will come on. I'll monitor the situation a little longer before taking the bike to the dealer. Thanks for the advice.
Update on February 22:

My battery is still charging and has not reached 100% of capacity yet. Its been continuously connected to the Xtreme charger for 7 days. Has anyone else used this charger and experienced a battery not reaching 100% after several days of charging. I spoke to Xtreme's technical support. They said as long as the dead battery indicator light does not come on, all is well. Its simply doing its job of giving the battery a deep charge. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated. The dead battery light has not come on. Its seems to be operating as normal. Its just taking longer than I thought it would. Thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Stallion, On my Battery Tender Plus, if I disconnect it from the bike at the bike, when I plug it back in at the bike, the green light keeps flashing until I unplug the Tender from the wall and plug it back in. If I remember, the operating directions, says the same thing.

I don't know if the new Tender Plus' are the same way (mine is probably 5 or more yrs old) but I don't like that detail.

The other Battery Tender's I have are not that way.

Dan Moore
St Charles, MO

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have all my bikes on their individual Battery Tender. I notice, on rare occasions, the green light flashing, which means the battery has reached 80% of its charging capacity. But, I've also noticed that this flashing condition last for a long time.

When I tried momentarily disconnecting the power source from the Battery Tender and replugging it in the outlet, the green light then comes on and stays that way. Is it a glitch in the Battery Tender? I don't know. But this condition doesn't happen all the time which, in my mind, rules out a defective charger.

You may try this test to see if your battery maintainer is acting the same way.

Mike
I tried disconnecting and reconnecting after the first couple of hours but it made no difference. I'll contact technical support in another few days, if the battery still has not reached 100%.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
could it be the charger?
I think so, but it seems to be operating. All of the right lights are flashing. If it has not reached a full charge or given me the dead battery indicator after another week, I'll call the company and discuss fixing my charger. It has a 5 yr warranty.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How long did you leave it idling with all of that drain? The alternator does not put out full current until it gets up to around 2000 RPM as I remember.
I rode the bike for about 3.5 hours , 200 miles doing between 60 to 65 miles per hour. I stopped for gas twice. I made the mistake of restartiing the bike after gassing up both times with the heated grips, seat, and fog lights on. I should have shut them off before restarting the bike, but that was just a split second. No idling.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts