GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace my Falken and want to try a slightly taller tire. I am considering a 195/60R16 but not sure what tire to purchase. Any suggestions? I am in the Ozarks in Southern Missouri and ride my 2008 wing on both slab and rough blacktop.
Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 195/60R16 89H BSW
Michelin Energy Saver 195/60R16 89V BW
Hankook optimo H426 195/60R16, (has anyone tried this tire?)
Dunlop SP SPORT 5000 195/60R16 (Symmetrical or asymmetric tread?)
Thanks,
John
[email protected]

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think that only Dunlop and Bridgstone make the 195/60X16 tire. I like the Dunlop the best because I think the sidewall is built better. I am on my second one now. A little over 30,000 miles on the first and not completely wore out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I would think any of those would serve you well, you gust have to choose!:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Please keep us posted as to your decision and how it performs. I was also thinking about the 60 series and would also be interested if it makes the speedometer closer to GPS accuacy? :lol:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am on my first Dunlop SP SPORT 5000 195/60R16. So far the ride is very nice. I am currently on vacation and went up Pike's Peak with it yesterday. It handled the crappy condition of the 2-4 miles of ROUGH road construction quite well.

I would have no hesitation putting a second one on but, I may go with a RF for my next tire. The Dunlop SP SPORT 5000 195/60R16 is NOT a RF tire.

Andy

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
If you want to correct the speedo, you will need to go to a 195/65/16. I don't think you will like that tire if you ride over 75mph. I am going back to the Sport 5000 195/60/16. Better with the speedo error than a stock tire, but not gps accurate.

Please keep us posted as to your decision and how it performs. I was also thinking about the 60 series and would also be interested if it makes the speedometer closer to GPS accuacy? :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you want to correct the speedo, you will need to go to a 195/65/16. I don't think you will like that tire if you ride over 75mph. I am going back to the Sport 5000 195/60/16. Better with the speedo error than a stock tire, but not gps accurate.
I've got the Sport 5000 195/60/16. The speedo isn't right on but it's closer than with the stock tire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
New to the darkside but I am running the the GYTT 205/60/16 and the Bt45 on the front, just got back from Ark. 2023 Miles 2 up, Pulling a rolla home camper and love the way it handled and the way it rode.;)

PS
It got my speedo within 1.5 of the GP
S

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
New to the darkside but I am running the the GYTT 205/60/16 and the Bt45 on the front, just got back from Ark. 2023 Miles 2 up, Pulling a rolla home camper and love the way it handled and the way it rode.;)

PS
It got my speedo within 1.5 of the GP
S
Kewl... thanks for the info. I certainly do like the way that goodyear triple tread has been working for folks.
? tough.. what the heck is a BT45???

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
195/60R16 Hankook

Decided on Hankook optimo 195/60R16, partially because it was available from my local tire shop. Only had time for a short ride (about 75 miles), tire felt good on both slab and blacktop. If anyone has used this tire I would be interested in what tire pressure you preferred. Currently at 34 psi. Speedometer matched Garmin at 70 mph

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
All the available 195-60s will serve you well......unless you have a blowout. The non-run-flats will go right down to the roadway and you'll have your hands full.

You can see for yourself, by taking the valve core out with the bike on the sidestand. :eek:4:

Some of the motto tires actually support the bike better. :shrug: Granted they are more prone to other issues.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Trialsman, I could not find a ROF in a 195/60. I do understand the risks and am confident the Hankook will be fine.
John

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
All the available 195-60s will serve you well......unless you have a blowout. The non-run-flats will go right down to the roadway and you'll have your hands full.

You can see for yourself, by taking the valve core out with the bike on the sidestand. :eek:4:

Some of the motto tires actually support the bike better. :shrug: Granted they are more prone to other issues.

You are really starting to wear this thin. I understand your opinion and respect it but it is getting to a seemingly unhealthy obsesion. If nothing else it is losing the credibility it had.

Just sayin.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
You are really starting to wear this thin. I understand your opinion and respect it but it is getting to a seemingly unhealthy obsesion. If nothing else it is losing the credibility it had.

Just sayin.
I wholeheartedly respectfully disagree.
Anytime non-runflats are being recommended I think it is important for the point about the blowout shortcomings to be made.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You have that option and it is fine. Just don't forget about the gazillions of safe and long miles run on NRF tires, MC tires. I have no doubt the idea is a good one. Some are just getting a bit too zealous about the things. Seems like every post has a do as I tell you or else or somethign bad WILL happen to you. Since there haven't been any blow outs on a CT that I have heard of, it just seems overkill. The only tire failures reported on this board have been RF's. I whole heartedly agree that is was operator error, but come on.
Everyone has the right to voice it but this one seems to be long in the tooth and getting to be every post read from some indiviuals. Like I said, I agree with the intent, but too much of a good thing will turn a deaf ear, and even resentment over time.
That would be tragic in itself.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Going riding on the Hankook in a few minutes and expect to be riding most of the next couple of days. Will be interesting to see if by running a car tire I crash/burn first before my non-run-flat has a chance to explode.....either way...it's all good on a wing.
john

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Going riding on the Hankook in a few minutes and expect to be riding most of the next couple of days. Will be interesting to see if by running a car tire I crash/burn first before my non-run-flat has a chance to explode.....either way...it's all good on a wing.
john
While you're out there if the opportunity presents itself and if you are comfortable with it, take some nice high speed sweepers at 85+ mph and let me know if the bike tends to waddle. I been getting that with my Vanco II 195/65/16. I plan to go back to a 195/60/16 and hope that that issue doesn't re-appear. I don't remember ever having that when I had a Sport 5000 195/60/16.

·
Registered
154 Posts
john
Have fun. I see the dilemma though. Do you blame the crash and burn on the CT because it is a CT or because it was a NRF CT:roll:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts