GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's a question for you Darkside guys...
Why do some ride with 195's and some go with 205's? Is there any load handling advantage? Does it do anything to the speedometer? My speedo already reads about 7% high anyway, I don't need to do anything that would add to the error.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Okay, here's a question for you Darkside guys...
Why do some ride with 195's and some go with 205's? Is there any load handling advantage? Does it do anything to the speedometer? My speedo already reads about 7% high anyway, I don't need to do anything that would add to the error.
I have not personally ran a 205 but here are some of the common things I have read. The 205/55 is a taller tire and will remove some of the error from your speedo. Many of the 205 tires do carry a higher load rating. Some of the 205 tires will have a rubbing issue.

Most use the 195/55-16 simply because it fits well and is very close to the size of the original moto tire.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I have not personally ran a 205 but here are some of the common things I have read. The 205/55 is a taller tire and will remove some of the error from your speedo. Many of the 205 tires do carry a higher load rating. Some of the 205 tires will have a rubbing issue.

Most use the 195/55-16 simply because it fits well and is very close to the size of the original moto tire.

Good luck.
:agree:

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have run both and find that there isn't nickel's worth of difference in feel between a 195 and a 205. I like the 205's because they are in general a little taller. It does reduce the speedometer error and slightly reduces engine RPM's but more importantly it increases cornering clearance without cranking up the pre-load on the rear suspension.

I can also run a (slightly) lower pressure in a 205 than a 195 and benefit from a (slightly) softer ride.
MM

·
Registered
267 Posts
Like the 205/60-16 Goodyear Tripletred Best

I also have run three -- the 195/55-16 KUMHO RF -- 195/60-16 Dunlop SP5000 NRF -- 205/60-16 Goodyear TripleTred NRF.

Both the Dunlop and Goodyear correct the Speedometer Error within .5MPH by GPS & Veypor and give better Gas Mileage (Accurate) as I take my Odometer Reading off the Front Wheel as I use the Veypor Annalyzer which is computer controlled giving perfectly accurate Speed and Mileage reading amongst many other benefits.

I only run 34PSI in the Goodyear as it has a real stiff Sidewall and expect to get 40,000 to 45,000 Miles on it before replacing it. Also it sticks like glue in the Rain & taking curves.

Also run a POTENZA Car Tire 165/65-14 on my super Duper 650 Burgman Executive Scooter with great results.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I run the 205/55 and it does all the above...But one of the main reasons
is if I do have a problem on the road.. I can find a 205 anywhere..... :yes1:

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
have run a 195 khumo, a 195 dunnie a 205/60TT and now a 205/60 khumo. My favorite has been the triple tred BY FAR! The stiffer sidewall and bigger size on the TT let me run the pressure about 32psi for a non RF, yet when i lost a valve stem, it still held the bike up (2up) to safely stop and then get to the next exit. The lower pressure and softer sidewall (from a RF)) make the ride much softer for the wife and yet with a few extra pounds of pressure, firms up nicely for the Dragon-style riding I love to do. The 41k miles I got from my TT before the wear bars was also a plus as I like to ride, not work on the bike and change tires. I had no rubbing issue with my TT on the '01, but many have reported such..??? I did have a minor rub at 90+mph with the Khumo 205. The Khumo 205 (NRF) has much softer sidewalls and requires higher pressures (44-46) which I don't like.

The 205's (esp. the TT) hunt for flat spots worse than the 195's but for me the tradeoff is in ride, longevity, wet road stickiness and stability.

YMMV Every tire/size has it's own personality... Kinda like dating a future wife, Ya gotta find one you can live with...

·
Registered
2,549 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have the GYTT 205-60-16 and love it. I did have some rubbing early on and when I enter triple digits speeds. It has all but made the speedo perfect. I think it's off 1/2 mph.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A great healer?

I have the GYTT 205-60-16 and love it. I did have some rubbing early on and when I enter triple digits speeds. It has all but made the speedo perfect. I think it's off 1/2 mph.

" Early on" would have one believing that you did sometime to fix the rubbing... or did it heal itself:?: And why 60 Series instead of 55:?:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
After 20 miles it stopped rubbing on the right side from the swingarm. I'm still experimenting with the amount of air to keep in it. 2 lbs can make a big difference in the ride.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'm not sure if it comes in a 55 but the 60 was in stock. I really appreciate the better accuracy of the speedo. It's within a mile of correct readings according to my Garmin.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
the 55 series leaves the speedo two miles off. The 60 series corrects it to withing a half mph(new). It also gives you a bit more ground clearance if you are an aggressive rider who needs a bit more lean angle. (so i've HEARD) The 55 series with 3/4-1" less diameter has less potential of rubbing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts