GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.................What can you tell me about a 1982 HONDA CB 900 Custom? I have located one I am interested in. Now I just got done rebuilding a 1982 Gold Wing (5 year project) so I have some knowledge on working on 25 year old Hondas. This is one of those 5 speeds with a hi/low transmission. My question is more about the bike itself than rebuilding it. If you had one how was it to ride? I belong to VJMC so that will help. This is not about speed, but more to restore another Honda. Do not plan to sell it if I do restore it. (Winter project.. (PMS). Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had one for many years. It was a good bike for the most part. It was a tad faster then my wing. I had to have it tuned up once a year to keep it running as max performance. The air shocks lifted the bike to much under hard torque, but that’s a drive compared against a chain.
One problem I had was with was those spark plug coils. Never were in stock and had to wait weeks at times to find a replacement. I guess with only three model years there wasn’t much demand.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had an 83 CB1000 which is very similar to the CB900. My problem with the bike is that it was very tempermental in starting when the engine was cold. Meaning unless I started it twice a week it would be hard to get it going. The choke also was hard to set. Other than that it ran great and had plenty of zip.

Mike
03ILB

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a CB 900 my second street bike I believe mine was a 1981 color was two tone blue. Loved it took me to yellowstone and back. Good smooth ride put lots of Smiles on it. Not to mention all the memories of my wife and myself going places.

The one time it scared me was a group of friends were coming back from riding in NC and SC,, we came up 129 not then known as the dragon and the center stand hit in a curve I decided quickly that it was not worth keeping up with my friends kz1000. No Wreck just a good pucker factor as the rear wheel skipped a couple of times.
Such a memorable experience at the time i did not know where we were at "just riding following the guy ahead" that 20 some years later riding the dragon on the wing I realized that this was the same road that i hit the center stand on.

So just don't lean hard to the left.

Sold it to by a new GW in 1987.

It is in the category of just of very few items I wish I would not of sold.

Thanks for bringing back memories.

·
Registered
99 Posts
CB 900

I had an 83 model. Great bike. I put a vetter fairing, etc. on it and had many happy miles. The two speed transfer box was a plus. Hi range solo and low range two up in the city. My only problem was the windshield snapped off at the top of the fairing at 110 MPH and caused a little :roll: bruse in the chest area. Not a Honda fault. I think you will love it.
Robby

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had an '82. I don't know what the problem was with the carbs or engine, but there just wasn't the same "kick" at a particular RPM level that my '81 CB650 Custom had.
Also, beware that they're known for marking their spot (dripping minimal amounts of oil) from a crack that forms between the engine and transmission cases. Expensive to fix (cases have to be split).

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I had one a 2 tone Maroon 1982 CB900 the first yr with a black engine,
typical in line 4, air cooled , carburated, 4 exhaust pipes with with the dual trans, air suspension and riveted rims were kind of flexible at high speeds... fun bike took it everywhere even had the engine split apart on a work bench when I slammed 3 rd gr and it kind of rattled until i replaced it..

Damn that was 25 yrs ago? ..... :shock:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had an '82 CB750-C. I got hit by a car when it had 186,000 miles on it.
Only used 2 chains that entire time, 2 sets of brake pads/shoes, and replaced the fork seals once. I'd clean the carbs every 10,000 miles, change the oil every 3K, lube the chain once a week.
Dependable like a pet rock.
The 900 is a bigger version with much of the same character.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I would love to have an older CB550-900...any of them...guess I'll have to settle for my triked Wing and my VTX for now...get it and enjoy! Sounds like a great project and a great ride!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I own/run the CB900C CB1000C Custom Club at http://www.honda10speed.org

If you have any questions on these bikes please feel free to join the forum (It's is free of course).

The forum is very active and is geared toward keeping these bikes on the road. At last count we had just under 2,000 members worldwide.

This is my 1980 CB900C that I have owned for about 15 years now. It was my full time ride till I bought my 1800 in May 2005.

She sits in the garage most of the time now, but it sure is fun to take her out and wind her up to 10,000+ rpm in the first 3 gears (Low range) every once in awhile :!: :shock:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a red 1982 that I bought new in the spring of 83. It is a great bike I have put 44000 miles on it with only one problem. I had to have the stator replaced once. They have a reputation for being a little weak(Stator). The high low range transmission is a definite plus. The gas tank is a little small and will only go about 150 miles before you have to gas up. I am going to sell it since I bought a new wing 3 weeks ago dark red of course. Some things to watch out for are the fuel petcock is expensive $150 and the 80,81 don't work on the 82's . Also make sure you keep good gromets on the tabs that hold the side covers or you will lose them, the voice of experience. The reason I upgraded to a Goldwing was to do distance more comfortablly for myself and my wife.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts