GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone hear know what the light means "oil/filter" on a 1984 gl1200 digital dash, is it a reminder or is it something bad, it went to yellow a few days ago and now it has went to red

thanks
david

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Does anyone hear know what the light means "oil/filter" on a 1984 gl1200 digital dash, is it a reminder or is it something bad, it went to yellow a few days ago and now it has went to red. thanks. David
David,

Glad you are looking for help.

First things first... Please stop running your engine until you get this figured out.

Check your oil level immediately. Put the bike on it's centerstand to check it. Do NOT screw the dip stick in when you check the level. It should be inserted up to the screw threads but NOT screwed in. You might just be dangerously low on oil.

The oil pressure light should come on briefly when you first start the bike up but should turn off shortly thereafter as the oil pressure comes up. Just takes a matter of seconds for the light to turn off. If it is ON with the bike running, that's a big problem.

That indicator light is the oil pressure warning light. By the colors you say it is displaying, I'd say either it's working and you have a serious oil pressure problem or you have a defective oil pressure warning switch that is not working properly and is sending a low pressure indication to the warning light in error.

Either way, I would not continue to ride until I figured this out. If you do in fact have low oil pressure, you are either really low on oil or your oil pump is failing and you could seriously damage your engine due to lack of lubrication.

Take a look at your oil pressure warning switch. It's located on the top of the right-hand side of your engine just in front of the two gas hoses that go into the fuel pump that sits on top the engine block on that side just behind the back of the two carburetors. The fuel pump is a chromed cylinder about 4" long and 2" in diameter. Make sure the the wire that's connected to the oil pressure warning switch is connected tightly and is not all corroded and making poor contact with the switch. The wire and switch should be covered by a rubber boot if it is still stock. Pull that boot off and look to see if it is not all corroded under there. If all looks good with the switch, look elsewhere.

This should get you started on troubleshooting.

Then go to GL1200GoldWings.com and get some help from the guys who are still riding GL1200s every day. You will be able to get plenty of help there.

http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/index.php

That's the forum I use for all my GL1200 needs. Good bunch on that site with lots of GL1200 specific knowledge, and it's fresher on their minds.

Get this straightened out before you damage your bike.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts