GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I would say yes if you looking for a single person camper. I have owned an Aspen and a Kwik Kamp. Aspen in larger but in my opinion the Kwik Kamp was a much better trailer. Just look it over well check all the zippers, screens and canvas especially at corners and where poles or cross poles rest when camper is set up

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
+1 on what Ghost Rider 2 said.

Reactions: jer166

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Hope to check it out Sat. One other question-can the top, with the tent section, be removed fairly easily? I'd consider making an alternate top and be able to convert the trailer for carrying our dogs. Not quite sure where I'd go with that design yet. I see a few commercial trailers built for them online. My budget doesn't allow that.

You mention a single person camper...is the bed adequate for two? I don't see doing much more than sleeping in it.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
bed ok for 2 ….. long as "your close " :wink2: I ride solo and its perfect !! issue with 2 is door in side of camper when laying in it. back person has to climb over other to get out. and pretty much a "flat fold " step ladder needed . ( mine came with one ) I don't even bring the small board/ cushion to make full bed .

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 95 KK. paid 900 and have around 1400 invested in it for repairs and new tires. I would say this is a good price if the body and axle are OK. It is a good camper with a queen bed. It would accommodate 2 easily, but I have only done it solo. I took the tent canvass off for cleaning and maintenance when I first purchased it. It is not so difficult to take the canvass off. I'm not sure if your mods would work or not. Here is a photo I have with the canvass removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
on second thought, after reading your OP again. it would take quite a bit of time to take the canvass and poles off each trip and put them back on when you camp. It would probably take at least an hour or more to remove and probably longer to replace. while the basement is pretty big it probably would not accommodate 2 dogs plus the canvass, poles and camping gear. You might be better off modifying a cargo trailer and packing a tent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
bed ok for 2 ….. long as "your close " :wink2: I ride solo and its perfect !! issue with 2 is door in side of camper when laying in it. back person has to climb over other to get out. and pretty much a "flat fold " step ladder needed . ( mine came with one ) I don't even bring the small board/ cushion to make full bed .

The Kwik Kamp door is at the rear of the camper. Sleeping is with either the feet or head facing the door w/o a need to go over anyone to get in or out.

Attachments

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
My bad. I. Have. Kompack Kamp. Door in back but sideways is longways

Reactions: jer166

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
on second thought, after reading your OP again. it would take quite a bit of time to take the canvass and poles off each trip and put them back on when you camp. It would probably take at least an hour or more to remove and probably longer to replace. while the basement is pretty big it probably would not accommodate 2 dogs plus the canvass, poles and camping gear. You might be better off modifying a cargo trailer and packing a tent.
Yeah, looking at that I suspect you're right. My thought depending on how the top assy with the canvas attached was to mount it with some quick-release hinges. That would (at least my by my thought process) let me take the whole tent-camping assembly off, and put on (using similar hinges) the "dog top version". Might be more trouble than it's worth. If I want to haul the dogs, a Northern Tool trailer might be the place to start. Will have to ponder that. We wouldn't take the pups and trailer at the same time. Hmm, unless...tandem trailers are legal in Idaho.... There is a thought with "bad idea" written all over it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 94 kwik-kamp and a 15 aspen classic. If you are by yourself the kk can be set up in 5 minutes and taken down in same. The aspen plan on 30-45 minutes. I will really like the kk for one night stays.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The KK had an optional hard top back in its day. Probably not much chance of finding one anymore. But you could make a fiberglass hardtop and add dog crates or design a carrier. Much easier than removing the tent. B.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts