GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the Chroming is set to begin tomorrow! :eek: I have the Kuryakyn Shark Gills, Air Intake Accents, small front fairing trim and fender tip accent scheduled to arrive tomorrow via UPS. Any words of wisdom or tips about installation I should be aware of before I start?:bow:
Thanks,
RoadKill

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
Well, the Chroming is set to begin tomorrow! :eek: I have the Kuryakyn Shark Gills, Air Intake Accents, small front fairing trim and fender tip accent scheduled to arrive tomorrow via UPS. Any words of wisdom or tips about installation I should be aware of before I start?:bow:
Thanks,
RoadKill
Yes most of the worthless chrome will pit and peel and fall off within the year

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have installed these on my wing as well. Most add-ons will be applied with the supplied 3-M two sided tape. Make sure you clean and these areas with a clean alcohol pad to remove any wax. Take your time and have fun!! :p

·
Registered
300 Posts
Follow directions well, measure twice...cut once--oh wait that one doesn't apply here. Clean surfaces really well for areas where any accent pieces will be secured with tape. keep your hands clean when working with adhesive backed pieces--you don't want to lose any tack due to contamination. MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFO: PAY LITTLE ATTENTION TO THOSE WHO ARE OVERLY CRITICAL OF ANY CHROME ADD-ONS. THE TRUTH IS SOMETIMES NOT IN THEM! There are, unfortunately a few vendors out there who have had some quality issues, but those have frequently been well discussed here.

As for falling off and pitting in a year...Take a look at bikes at any gathering and you'll see countless examples of good quality and good looking pieces that have stood the test of time well.

Don't forget the most import piece of information--you must post pictures of completed work and drive around and show it off at every available opportunity!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes most of the worthless chrome will pit and peel and fall off within the year
I believe I must take much better care of my ride. I have never had the problem on any bike I've owned and there have been several.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't forget the most import piece of information--you must post pictures of completed work and drive around and show it off at every available opportunity!
Thanks for the info. Don't think I'm going to have to worry with the pictures or showing it off. I am really enjoying this new ride and making it mine is going to be fun:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Stop the chroming nonsense and join the anti chroming group. We save all that money for gas and go on bigger and better rides
Less Is More Non Chrome Society

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks,
RoadKill
Ya got a long way to go before your done! UPS driver should know your address by heart very soon:congrats:! Mine did, he even commented once, "more motorcycle stuff?" Oh, congradulations on the ride.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Don't listen to Sonnybass! Upon arrival, check the bill of lading and the copy of the receipt which should be included. Once that is complete and all figure are matched and checked for correctness, either throw complete box with contents into the garbage can or you can sell them on E-bay for a profit. You will be much happier in the long run. You won't have to clean around all this gobbledy gook. You wont have to worry about cleaning these add ons with special rags so they shine like the reflected sun ( in the other rider's eyes) and you wont have to pick pieces of lint or rags out from under sharp corners and angles. JMHO:wrong:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stop the chorming nonsense and join the anti chroming group. We save all that money for gas and go on bigger and better rides
No thanks. I Chrome and ride 25k miles a year. To me that's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I see your in IL. clean the area good and warm both areas up with a hairdryer before sticking, there is mo moving it if it's wrong
most guys hate the shark grills after they put them on there was a post a few days ago about what you didn't like shark grills were number one, so think about it
they all said they brought to much heat to the driver??

·
Registered
406 Posts
Bought my 02 wing in Oct 2001....all chrome pieces still look great & have not fallen off....don't listen to the anti-chrome people....to each his own.

Ron
www.cowhidecovers.com

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Its good to read that you are stimulating the economy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts