GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled off my first one today, so thought I would share my thoughts.
There are so many variables from rider to rider that determine the mileage we each get from a tire that just giving the mileage wouldn’t be very helpful. I will try to share enough information that anyone who might be interested can form an opinion of how the tire would work in their situation.
I think of tire pressure and when the tire is changed as the two greatest variables. Some prefer lower pressures, some higher. Lower tends to increase wear, higher tends to increase mileage. I run 42 and check it every day that I ride, so the pressure that I use is about as consistent as I can get it from day to day and tire to tire.
As for when the tire is changed, I’m sure that a lot of factors determine that for each of us. Some change tires that I consider about half worn out while others are happy as long as they don’t see cords showing. On a scale of 1-10 with 5 being about half worn out and 10 having cords showing, I change around a 9, depending on my situation at the time. Don’t like to waste good rubber but don’t care to push them to their absolute limit.
I first started ridung trikes full time in 2009 and had been running Dunlop Elite 3 at the time so I continued running them for a while. I usually got around 12-13,000 miles out of them.
When I heard that some were running Bridgestone and Michelin rear tires on the front of their trikes, I decided to try them. Having had some problems in the past with Michelin motorcycle tires, I went with the Stone BT-45. They provided better mileage, but everyone that I used cracked. One cracked so badly inside the tread at about 7,000 miles that I pulled it off. Luckily, I was able to get a replacement. I ran several of these and the best mileage I got was about 25,000 miles.
When Avon came out with the Cobra TRIKE tire, I started running them. Ran several of them and thought they were a good tire for a trike. With them, I was getting between 16 and 18,000 miles.
My current ride is a 2017 NAV/XM model that I purchased new in February 2018 with MT Razor kit already installed by the Honda dealer.
It came with the Bridgestone front tire that Honda used on some of the 1800’s. It was toast at 5,789 miles.
Having heard that many were getting good miles on two wheels with the Dunlop E-4 I decided to try one of them on a trike. It only lasted for 9,879 miles.
My third tire was a Cobra Trike tire. It went for 17,867 miles which was the most that I had gotten out of any of them.
My fourth was the Cobra Chrome Trike tire that I just pulled off. It had 35,115 miles. It still had a few miles left, but with that kind of mileage I figured why push it any farther. It handles well and is the best mileage that I have gotten out of any motorcycle tire on two wheels or three. At 22,000 miles I started close inspections after every ride expecting it to begin wearing much faster as many seem to do, but it never did. In my opinion, it is the best overall front tire that I have tried to date on a trike.
I hope I presented this in such a way that anyone who is interested in this tire can in some way use the info to determine how it would work for them.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I forgot to mention in the original post is that I have been using Centramatic balances on all wheels since switching to trikes full time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts