GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 06 Wing w/1200 miles on it. He is telling me that the s1t service is not due untill 4K?

Is that correct?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yup.

4k or 30 days which ever comes first.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
'01-'05 was 4,000 miles. For some reason they changed in '06 wanting the first service at 30 days or 4,000 miles.

I don't think anything changed on the bikes, just the manual. LOL....

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Red said:
'01-'05 was 4,000 miles. For some reason they changed in '06 wanting the first service at 30 days or 4,000 miles.

Wow 30 days, that is weird ? What if the bike has been sitting in your garage the whole time?

WOuld you think it would be OK if I just waited till the bike hit 4K before I bring it in?

John

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jbsmith78 said:
Oppsss. I guess I messed up... I haven't taken mine in yet at 10k; was going to take it in at 12k for all the service! Oh well! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think I will at least change the oil before winder hits Chicago. BTW how do you like the Titanium color ( the is the color of the bike I'm looking at)

Does it have any sparkle too it?

John

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
man am I in trouble 34,000 miles guess I better hurry and schedule my first service

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
JJR said:
Red said:

Wow 30 days, that is weird ? What if the bike has been sitting in your garage the whole time?
Who's going to leave their Wing sitting all that time after buying it? Not me. However, I was busy and my dealer is 2 hours away so I split the difference. It was 2 months and about 2,500 miles. I think their logic is that it's a good idea to give it quick check after a short period of riding. Makes sense to me.

Then every 8,000 miles after that - at least for oil changes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bought my 06 new this September. Service told me to bring it in when it hit 600 miles (give or take). They changed oil and filter. Reason was to get rid of the breakin oil, filings, etc.

Planning on future oil changes every 4,000 or so.

Ted

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
William Anzik said:
JJR said:
Red said:

Who's going to leave their Wing sitting all that time after buying it? Not me. However, I was busy and my dealer is 2 hours away so I split the difference. It was 2 months and about 2,500 miles. I think their logic is that it's a good idea to give it quick check after a short period of riding. Makes sense to me.

Then every 8,000 miles after that - at least for oil changes.
Im in Chicago and the riding season is just about over. Once the city dumps the salt on the streets that is it for riding till next season. I do not care how nice it is outside.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Ted Wenzka said:
Bought my 06 new this September. Service told me to bring it in when it hit 600 miles (give or take). They changed oil and filter. Reason was to get rid of the breakin oil, filings, etc.

Planning on future oil changes every 4,000 or so.

Ted
When I bought mine the sales guy told me if anybody tells me to bring it in at 600k, it is so the dealer can make an extra few bucks. Most guys read the manual and see 4k (this was on an 03) after they have brought it in for the 600 mile check and of course they bring it in again.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
What Ralph said. On some of the other honda's first is 600 miles, but not the wing. Take it back a 4 thousand and tell them they owe you one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The Titanium does have a heck of a lot of sparkle in the sun and it doesn't show dirt real bad. Glad I picked it.
I Changed my oil first time at 500 miles and every 3000 after, just like my cars. I change my own. It's pretty simple if you have 45 minutes and a bit of patience putting the cowl back on.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
dirt dr said:
The Titanium does have a heck of a lot of sparkle in the sun and it doesn't show dirt real bad. Glad I picked it.
I Changed my oil first time at 500 miles and every 3000 after, just like my cars. I change my own. It's pretty simple if you have 45 minutes and a bit of patience putting the cowl back on.

You don't have to remove the cowling :D

later..Randy

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
JJR said:
Im in Chicago and the riding season is just about over. Once the city dumps the salt on the streets that is it for riding till next season. I do n't care how nice it is outside.
Go BEARS!! 8)

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
INTHEWIND said:
dirt dr said:
You don't have to remove the cowling :D

later..Randy
You don't have to change oil every 3,000 miles either... :roll:

·
Registered
177 Posts
The cowling has to come off to change the filter doesn't it? And I change the oil at 3000 miles cause oil is cheap . :lol:

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
dirt dr said:
The cowling has to come off to change the filter doesn't it? And I change the oil at 3000 miles cause oil is cheap . :lol:
No, it doesn't. And what difference does the cost make? It's that kind of statement that's going to draw some to the conclusion that the only way to get people to quit wasting this non-renewable resource is to jack up the price until it starts hurting. I'd prefer to keep the price down and conserve at the same time. If the oil really needed to be changed that soon, fine - but it doesn't. Unless one rides only 3,000 miles every 6 months maybe... time is also a factor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts