GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I got lured into a great deal 3/28 and bought a bright yellow '09 airbag model. I did not want the airbag, but wanted all the other goodies (ABS, stereo, etc). Yellow certainly wasn't my 1st choice, but my local deal made me a great offer...so I bit! I am having all sorts of extras added prior to pick up..I cannot wait. I had an '02 model for a while, but have recently been riding an '08 FJR. Did 5100 miles in 5 days earlier this month, including 45 hours coast to coast, and I am sure looking forward to the added comfort of the Goldwing. I hope that I can find a way to be able to use the Nav system while driving...I have been searching this forum and did come across a relatively painful remedy...I hope there is something easier to allow it to be used while driving.
I will post pix when I pick up the new ride.
Marc

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Congrats. You bought the only bike that tempts me to trade in my 2001 ABS. I'd love the extra visibility of a yellow bike and the extra safety of the Airbag.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There are some modifications to the wiring that allow you to operate the Nav features while driving. Pre 09 wiring mods are on the board and some are working on the 09 mods as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I took delivery of my 09 GL 1800 earlier this month.
I opted against the ABS primarily because you cannot add any accessories to the handle bars. Too many items needed (actually wanted) to maximize the GW benefits. (Radar, Zumo, etc).
I like the concept of air bag, but not sure they have it quite figured out to my satisfaction. But you will love the bike.
Get ready to think about the Traxxion suspension to replace the inferior OEM- that will set you back even further.

Have fun- ride safe

David
Miami

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Congratulations. Great bike!!!:congrats:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I took delivery of my 09 GL 1800 earlier this month.
I opted against the ABS primarily because you cannot add any accessories to the handle bars. Too many items needed (actually wanted) to maximize the GW benefits. (Radar, Zumo, etc).
I like the concept of air bag, but not sure they have it quite figured out to my satisfaction. But you will love the bike.
Get ready to think about the Traxxion suspension to replace the inferior OEM- that will set you back even further.

Have fun- ride safe

David
Miami
:?: I think you meant Airbag not ABS. ABS doesn't prevent any handlebar or front end attachments that the level 1 and 2 allow.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
great, i like the part about getting a great deal , even though its yellow

i could have gotten a white abs bike when i bought my new one for $1000 less, i passed

i cant put a number on how much less a yellow one would have to be

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hello all. I got lured into a great deal 3/28 and bought a bright yellow '09 airbag model. I did not want the airbag, but wanted all the other goodies (ABS, stereo, etc). Yellow certainly wasn't my 1st choice, but my local deal made me a great offer...so I bit! I am having all sorts of extras added prior to pick up..I cannot wait. I had an '02 model for a while, but have recently been riding an '08 FJR. Did 5100 miles in 5 days earlier this month, including 45 hours coast to coast, and I am sure looking forward to the added comfort of the Goldwing. I hope that I can find a way to be able to use the Nav system while driving...I have been searching this forum and did come across a relatively painful remedy...I hope there is something easier to allow it to be used while driving.
I will post pix when I pick up the new ride.
Marc
If you want to do complex routings quickly and switch various routes quickly, get an add-on GPS. The built in Navi has its limitations especially with complex routing.

For example, let's say you setup a route with a few vias. During the route, you pass by some of your vias and stop and get lunch. When you turn the bike back on, the Navi doesn't remember the vias that you've passed. The progress in your route is not stored so you have to manually delete the vias from the route or the Navi will route you back to the first vias you already went past. The system requires you to actively and constantly manage it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
:congrats: and good luck....:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A big WELCOME to the board Marc!
Congrats on the new ride.... with that long distance stuff......
You body will love you for it! :lol:

We don't have a lot of Air Bags on the board......

Bur a bunch of us are Wind Bags!:joke:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yellow Wing

Thanks all for the friendly intro to the board. I'm from sunny West Texas (Lubbock). It blows like the dickens here, but very little snow. We did have an unusual blizzard here last Friday, but it was already up to 80 yesterday. Today it is just blowing, big time. Dirty sky and all that!
Marc

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Congratulations! Excellent choice, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with decision.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
The best solution for the 'Nav edit while riding' is a Zumo...also gives MP3 capability...then you will be able to run the nav screens at 2 different magnifications..

:congrats:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts