GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked and adjusted the valves today at 24K miles. Without having to change intake shims which requires removing the cams, the job is pretty easy. All the intake valves were within spec as expected. Both #5 exhaust valves were out with one being tight and the other loose which I adjusted. The rest of the exhausts were within spec. The Honda tool for releasing the tensioner worked fine on the r/s where it goes in from the top but using it from the bottom on the l/s is a joke. You can hardly even get your fingers in there. I ended up using a medium length screwdriver with the handle resting on the front belly pan which held it in position. Worked perfect. I attached a picture of the screwdriver in place.

Overall, pretty uneventful for a first try :grin2:

Marc

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Hopefully you set them to center spec. That way as wear to the cam journals and valve seats occur, they will not drop out of spec during the next 24,000 mile interval. With 5th gens, valves adjusted to center spec is very noticeable to most rider, my guess would be even more on 6th gens, since they have twice as many valves.

On most 5th gens, I could even feel a slight power band once adjusted.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Greg I hate you avatars. dang it ! hahahaha sigh

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Reactions: anotherone

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Question....Sorry for the stupidity in this question....but I have put on 125,000+ miles on two other Goldwings and have never had to do a valve adjustment...maybe I should have but I didn't....

So the question is....why are the valves out of spec with only 24,000 miles....should not the valves last at least to 100,000 miles....

Curious minds are wondering...?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Question....Sorry for the stupidity in this question....but I have put on 125,000+ miles on two other Goldwings and have never had to do a valve adjustment...maybe I should have but I didn't....

So the question is....why are the valves out of spec with only 24,000 miles....should not the valves last at least to 100,000 miles....

Curious minds are wondering...?
The 1833 engine uses a very different valve train than did the 1832.
The 1832 uses a 2 valve SOHC arrangement.
All the valves line up horizontally on the same plane of the cylinder head.
If you were to take a ruler or yardstick and place it on the cylinder head from front to back, the intake and exhaust valves would line up with the ruler.
Valve clearance is maintained by bucket and shim for all valves.
Bucket and shim valve adjustment on the 1832 may never require re-adjustment over the life of the motor, depending on the amount of recession of the valves into the valve seats.
Many automotive engines use this method (Subaru and some Ford engines come to mind). I'm sure there's more.

Now fast forward to the 1833.
It still uses a SOHC, but is now 4 valves/cylinder.
The intakes are on the top part of the cylinder head above the spark plug, the exhausts are on the lower part of the cylinder head below the spark plugs.
So how can a single camshaft operate 2 rows of valves that are offset from each other?
Enter the Unicam, which uses direct action (bucket & shim) for the upper intake valves, and indirect action (rocker arm with screw and locknut adjustment) for the lower exhaust valves.
The reason for the difference in mileage requirement for the 1833 adjustment is that screw and locknut goes out of adjustment much sooner than bucket and shim.
You will likely see the intake valves rarely, if at all, requiring any adjustment, but the exhausts will be a different story.
Valve recession into the valve seat is usually the only reason a bucket/shim valve needs any adjustment.
The exhausts will have valve recession plus more moving parts that expand and contract, which will likely necessitate more frequent adjustment.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't now. My previous bike VFR1200F had 100000 km and no valve adjustments needed. This bike had the same valve train Unicam. I will take a look at the valves at 24000 km because it's easy to get to the valves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts