GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 3 FJR's. I've always anticipated at some point the Goldwing would be the next step at some point. I was excited when the 2018 was revealed, but disappointed in the luggage capacity and a little in the power output. Now, I have never ridden a Wing and it sounds like power is not an issue. With the 2021 redesign luggage capacity is on par with my FJR. I love my FJR, but it is a bit cramped, ESPECIALLY 2 up. I'm 6'3", and finally sitting on a black Wing this past weekend I felt a little cramped. I think I just need to get used to the new riding position? Are other tall people finding it comfortable? It's a big commitment for me at this price point, so I'm a little nervous about getting it right.

Now, I've found a 2022 Blue about 4 hours away which means trailering it home, and the local dealer has a 2023 red arriving any day now. I haven't seen either color in person. I'm usually a "red" guy, but that blue looks good and sounds like hard to get. Would like to buy locally if I can in case I need any warranty/service work done. I think I can get them both around the same price. They knocked $1,000 off the 2022 blue but then added $1,342 in freight, prep, and documentation fees. The 2023 red local dealer is "sharpening his pencil" and calling me later today. Probably no great deals these days, and I'm guessing both bikes will be close in price with the red one a current year model.

Any comments appreciated. Lot of money for something I've never ridden.

· Registered
1,361 Posts
All boils down to personal preference.
What I like you might not and vice versa.
That new blue is hard to beat!
You are lucky to find either color available. DCT or manual?

· Registered
10,029 Posts
I've had 3 FJR's. I've always anticipated at some point the Goldwing would be the next step at some point. I was excited when the 2018 was revealed, but disappointed in the luggage capacity and a little in the power output. Now, I have never ridden a Wing and it sounds like power is not an issue. With the 2021 redesign luggage capacity is on par with my FJR. I love my FJR, but it is a bit cramped, ESPECIALLY 2 up. I'm 6'3", and finally sitting on a black Wing this past weekend I felt a little cramped. I think I just need to get used to the new riding position? Are other tall people finding it comfortable? It's a big commitment for me at this price point, so I'm a little nervous about getting it right.

Now, I've found a 2022 Blue about 4 hours away which means trailering it home, and the local dealer has a 2023 red arriving any day now. I haven't seen either color in person. I'm usually a "red" guy, but that blue looks good and sounds like hard to get. Would like to buy locally if I can in case I need any warranty/service work done. I think I can get them both around the same price. They knocked $1,000 off the 2022 blue but then added $1,342 in freight, prep, and documentation fees. The 2023 red local dealer is "sharpening his pencil" and calling me later today. Probably no great deals these days, and I'm guessing both bikes will be close in price with the red one a current year model.

I was all set on buying a FJR until I sat on one, very uncomfortable with the laydown seating position.

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,174 Posts
I have the feeling that the Red will transform you to a HERO/Worrier. Ask me how I know? I have the Red/Black and I already pass that. I am in the angel stage now.

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,174 Posts
It's a shame that Honda has reduced the choice to one or two color options, depending on the model. Used to be 3-5 colors each year for all models.
The dealer by me, has now 3 x 23's. 2 blacks, one Red. To be honest, I think they disappoint a bit with this boring????? RED???? I can't explain. The Black is very NICE. .

· Registered
194 Posts
I have owned a 2005 and a 2013 FJR and now a 2018 DCT Tour in red. The wing has plenty of power in sport mode. There are some differences in the riding position but I find it minimal. I'm 6'1" and the wing has more room for you and especially the passenger. Stock seal sucks like most bikes. The only bike that really fit me was my Super Tenere but it lacked in comfort for my wife so a Wing it is.
Hope this helps
Scooper

· Registered
4,826 Posts
The dealer by me, has now 3 x 23's. 2 blacks, one Red. To be honest, I think they disappoint a bit with this boring????? RED???? I can't explain. The Black is very NICE. .
Yeah. Any color you want as long as it is RED or BLACK
Sounds like Henry Ford thing. When I bought my 2012 there were four colors available on all the models.

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,174 Posts
Yeah. Any color you want as long as it is RED or BLACK
Sounds like Henry Ford thing. When I bought my 2012 there were four colors available on all the models.
I wonder how they come up with all these colors, votes per model year. Yes, the Blue is a classic for sure, the Red/Black is sweet too. :geek: 🍷

· Registered
2018 GL1800 6sp
544 Posts
See if you can sit on one again. Maybe you were having an off day. I came from an FJR to a Wing and I don't find the Wing to be cramped, but it is a different seating position for sure. I'm not 6'3" however, so you're results may vary. Just wanted to add, you may notice the power difference between the FJR and the Wing, but honestly, IMO the Wing has enough to put a smile on my face and go faster than the speed limit.

· Registered
4,479 Posts
Are you going to keep the bike for many years? If so, resale value is a moot point, meaning the 2022 being 1 year older doesn't matter.

They are the same bike except for color.

IMO, the 2022 should be priced a bit lower than the 2023, but these are crazy times we're living in.

Will the "local guy" feel disrespected if you buy the other bike, then expect him to do warranty work on it?

· Registered
1,797 Posts
Your local stealership is just that, ripping you off with all those additional charges.

As for the bike, sit on both, test ride both then make an assessment as to which checks the most boxes for what you want.

· Registered
3,818 Posts
To me a color is just that. a color. If you can get a newer bike for the same price go for that!
Not sure I agree......
It's a color you may have to live with for many many years, might as well be something you really like.

There are certain color Goldwings I would never purchase, ever.......its still a Goldwing but color does matter IMHO.

· Registered
3,818 Posts

I'm biased......but I'll leave you with this....... :giggle:
Get 'em to knock the prep $$ off the price and go for the '22 UBM

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
223 Posts
I had a 2014 FJR. It was red, which wasn't my first color choice but that was the color of FJR's that year, and I always hated the color. So from my personal point of view, red is terrible, but I don't mind the looks of the 23 red and black Wing. There's enough not-red to make it nice.

Color is important for many reasons, many of them personal. My 22 Blue is a real conversation starter. The blue grabs the attention of others. People are constantly making comments about it in parking lots. That makes me think it grabs the attention of fellow motorists in motion, which I like to have them see me, if possible.

As far as comfort, I agree the FJR is cramped. I'm around 6' with long legs, and my knees were constantly bumping the fairing. No such problems on the Wing. I'm certain the Wing is way more roomy in the saddle than the FJR. And power with the Wing is substantial, and plenty. Just ride it natural without thinking about it and it will do everything you want.

As with the FJR, which comes with a hideous saddle, the stock Wing saddle is bad. Not AS bad, but bad. Only comfy for about an hour, for me. I've got my eye out for another saddle, but haven't made up my mind yet. Won't be doing many hour+ rides before March.

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,174 Posts
I'm biased......but I'll leave you with this....... :giggle:
Get 'em to knock the prep $$ off the price and go for the '22 UBM

View attachment 413381
Wow....I just saw a piece of Cheerios on the floor!!!!! Ok....Ok....no need to get a heart failure. I am joking. Anyhow, very sweet Wing. A D. A#$ question for you. Any concerns having moving all this weight and wear and tear on the DCT? + your weight and love one????? Ooooooh and the romantic picnic stuff in the back???? Boy, you are an H guy to the core. Mother needs to see your garage.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts