GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out, then share your feedback.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Sorry, can't give any feedback because all I see is a blank black square. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Your hand will get sore pretty quick. I came from a road racing background as well and while 2 fingers works great for stopping a sport bike, our big girls require all 4 finger, a foot, and could probably use an anchor as well. If you pay attention when riding, one can decrease the initial orange section with greater benefit than covering with two fingers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I do this when riding aggressively. Almost necessary if trail braking then smoothly transitioning to throttle through twisties. But... I don't ride like that often. Most of the time I use three or four fingers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Your hand will get sore pretty quick. I came from a road racing background as well and while 2 fingers works great for stopping a sport bike, our big girls require all 4 finger, a foot, and could probably use an anchor as well.
+1 That's my experience, too. My R1200RT can be stopped with 2 fingers. My wing, no so much -- tiring for sure.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I've always used 2 fingers.

On my sport bike, I could get away with only using one as I could literally lock the wheel and go over the front with a single finger because the brakes are that good.

2 seems to be plenty for the wing and especially since you need to use the rear pedal as well due to the linked brake design. I've never felt like I needed more.

Come to think of it...I'm not sure I've EVER used 4 fingers to brake on any motorcycle at any time. At this point, I'd probably have no feel at all for how much brake pressure to give with 4 fingers....

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
After having taken the ERC from Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) several times, I use four fingers all the time. That's what they drum into your head.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have no choice, when I was 26 I injured my right hand with a saw (don't ask) I have full use of my right ring finger and pinkie on my right hand, no problem. I've been riding ever since I'm 62.

·
Registered
19,110 Posts
I do both. Do what is comfortable

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Usually three.....I will agree with their stance that covering the brakes is safer.

Time is distance....even if it only 2/10ths of a second.......at 60 MPH, 2/10ths of a second is 17 feet.......the width of nearly two driving lanes.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The video emphasizes that the point of two fingered "covered braking" is to reduce the reaction time of reaching for the brakes and engaging them. It is exactly what I was taught at a MSF Advanced Rider course I took this year. When in a high-threat environment, having those two fingers there to start the braking process will reduce your stopping distance--and possibly keep you from getting into an accident.

From David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well

"Remember, the bike doesn't slow at all during the time it takes to react, and reaction distance increases with speed. The lesson is to cover the brake lever and ease on a little brake when approaching hazardous situations."

BL--the two-finger technique is a way to "cover the brake lever" and is a valuable tool to add to our riding "toolbox".

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I get scolded at every ERC for using two fingers. The four finger lesson is probably good advice, and what I do is probably a bad habit, but.......

25 years ago I cut 4 fingers nearly completely off with a chain saw near my middle knuckles and a little Japanese surgeon saved them. A year of therapy made my hand stronger than it ever was, and being a piano player, I never lost that strength.

My levers are adjusted outward and full braking power is not even close to the grip. At non-freeway speeds, I always have two fingers covering the brake lever. They never come off. At those lower speeds, it doesn't take a lot of brake to do a serious panic stop, and I prefer to be able to cover the throttle and brake at the same time. On the freeway it's four fingers.

I have been this way for so long that I don't ever remember if the habit was intentional or not.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What are you going to do when your two finger squeeze pulls the brake lever tight against your other two fingers?
Is this a problem?
Hmm.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I always use 4 but, come to think of it, if a person uses the correct 2 they can still leave their "naughty" finger free for important hand signals/gestures in traffic. ;)

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
What are you going to do when your two finger squeeze pulls the brake lever tight against your other two fingers?
Is this a problem?
Hmm.
If you have your levers adjusted outward all the way, the lever won't hit your fingers. Even at the mid setting it barely hits my fingers at maximum pressure. Besides, at lower speeds, (under ~50mph), I would lock my brakes up if I used maximum braking force. And at those lower speeds, using two fingers gives you more feel than grabbing a fistful of brake would.

Of course, if you have fat fingers, aftermarket grips or levers, or if your brakes are less than optimal, or you have air in the lines, all bets are off on that one.

The GL1800 has pretty darned good brakes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've always used 1 or 2 finger braking for over 20 yrs. I've even had my motorcycle instructor give me a thumbs down for braking that way. But then I had the highest grade/score in the advance rider course. :shrug:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I use Three finger braking

The msf advanced course got all over me for using that method but I like the control of being able to twist the throttle and braking too. ( like when starting off from a hill) . I understood what they were talking about by smashing your brake lever against the two throttle fingers so I changed to using my thumb and first finger to throttle and my last 3 fingers to brake now.. My thumb and first finger clear the lever just fine, even at full braking, and I now have the power of three to stop. I know they have much more experience with safety than I but this works great for me and I'm not changing! No way, no how!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts