GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever trailered 2 goldwings? If so, what size trailer did you use? I'm not sure a 7' wide will do it!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Patriot said:
Has anyone ever trailered 2 goldwings? If so, what size trailer did you use? I'm not sure a 7' wide will do it!
I also have a 7x16'. Like kurt said, they'll fit but they have to be staggard so the mirrors and handlebars don't interfere with one another. You might be able to get by with a 7x12' but that might be cutting it close. BTW, mine's enclosed. With an open trailer, you might be able to get by with 6' wide but the bikes would hang over each side a bit, but not any wider than the trailer's wheels. Again, they'd have to be staggard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had custom 7 X 12 trailor made in Florida. It fits my 06 Wing and son's 03 VTX 1300. WE also put 1000cc rice rocket across the back, Fits fine

·
Registered
57 Posts
7x14 will work fine. We have hauled both my buddy's and my Goldwings 1500 and 1800 to Florida and back.

As others have said, stagger them. I would think that a 12' trailer would work also. We have at least 2' in front of the forward bike in oiur trailer.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think everyone is right. I laid out a 7x16 yesterday on my driveway and we had both GWs inside the layout. I'm still going to the dealer and place them inside a trailer. I think I;m going to have trouble with my Aluma trailer. We will see.

Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Patriot,

I have an 8.5' by 16' trailer. It may look like 7' would be wide enough when layed out in the driveway, but add the walls and wheel wells and it could get tight. You need room to get off the bikes, after loading and getting around to strap them down.

The photo is with my VTX 1800 Retro and my Goldwing in the trailer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Patriot,

I don't know why the photo did not show up in the post, but if you click on it you should get there. Disregard this, I was shown the error of my ways by LaMont.

BigUgly

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's looks nice in an 8.5' trailer. Thanks for the photo.

What are you towing your trailer with?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Patriot,

If we take bikes in the trailer, we usually tow it with our motorhome. It is 36' long and has a Caterpillar 330 HP Turbo Diesel with a 6 speed Allison automatic transmission.

The trailer is also a tandem axle which I prefer over a single axle trailer. I think a tandem is more stable, rides smoother and if you get a flat or a blowout, there is still another tire on that side to get you stopped safely.

BigUgly

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BigUgly said:
Patriot,

If we take bikes in the trailer, we usually tow it with our motorhome. It is 36' long and has a Caterpillar 330 HP Turbo Diesel with a 6 speed Allison automatic transmission.

The trailer is also a tandem axle which I prefer over a single axle trailer. I think a tandem is more stable, rides smoother and if you get a flat or a blowout, there is still another tire on that side to get you stopped safely.

BigUgly
Nice rig. Always by something with more power than is needed. Struggling is not cool.

I will be towing the trailer with a Nissan Titan. Too bad it's not diesel. There is plenty of power in the Titan, just lousy gas miliage.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Patriot said:
This is an update and the big step I took today. I purchased an Amera by Forest River, an all alluminum 19' x 7'. This sucker better be able to take 2 Goldwings or it's for sale.

The "box" is 16' with a 3' for wedge. I believe I can get 2 GWs in. I was able to nail down a pretty good price because it's the end of the month. If anyone in the Twin Cities is looking for a trailer, I can direct you to the right guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts