GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am narrowing down my search for GPS's. There sure are a lot of things to think about. I have 2 things I need to figure out.

1. Is there a unit that has both nex-rad radar AND an MP3 player? I think the only choices for nex-rad are the 376c/378 or 478 but they don't have a MP3 player. Any other models that have nex-rad that I can look into? That looks like a cool feature to have.

2. What software do I need to sit at the computer and plan out a ride that takes specific roads and then upload that route into the GPS?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Rick,

I just went through a similar search and I am leaning heavily on the 478 due to the issue with manipulating maps on the 378. I feel the bigger, brighter screen is worth the sacrifice of the MP3 player. Besides, it has XM radio which I have become accustomed to. and I could always plug in my Ipod to the Aux if I really needed MP3.

As for the maps, you will want to pick up a copy of City Navigator V8. I happen to have a copy from my 276 and this software works well (although I prefer V7). I am told that people who have bought the 478 and contacted Garmin have had them send it to them free of charge but I can not speak from first hand experience. Otherwise, it is about $129.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays :xmas1:

BAT

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
RickM said:
2. What software do I need to sit at the computer and plan out a ride that takes specific roads and then upload that route into the GPS?
As the 478 comes with all maps pre-loaded, you'll have to order (or request) the MapSource DVD.

Once you have successfully copied the DVD to your computer and entered a valid unlock code, a simple USB cable connection is all that's required to download PC-generated routes. This cable is included with the 478.

Note...Garmin is currently offering a $100 rebate on the 478 until Dec 31st (http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/).

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
rooksd1 said:
dt where would you find the unlock code?
One came with the 478. I used it to unlock the MapSource DVD Garmin was kind enough to send me free of charge.

·
Registered
272 Posts
ok I have a 2730 I bought last spring and I just got around to ordering mapsource for my computer from garmin, they said I should get it in a couple days.
I used the 2730 sense May on the bike and in the cage. I would like to route some trips on the computer this winter for next spring. Thanks

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
BAT1800 said:
I just went through a similar search and I am leaning heavily on the 478 due to the issue with manipulating maps on the 378. I feel the bigger, brighter screen is worth the sacrifice of the MP3 player.
Before you jump on the 478, take a close look at the 376C. The 376C INCLUDES the GXM-30 antenna which IS the XM receiver. It is not included with the 478 and that stupid thing is expensive (another $200+).

Check out this site: http://www.garmin.com/automotive/compare.jsp and compare the two. I think you'll find there's not that much difference between the units, unless you're planning on using the GPS off shore a lot. Same screen size, same physical size and same button size.

Also, be aware that the scbscription for NEXRAD is about $30 per month in addition to your regualr XM subscription: http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/existing/wea ... on_pkg.pdf

Good luck. They're both GREAT units!

Bartman

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
rooksd1 said:
ok I have a 2730 I bought last spring and I just got around to ordering mapsource for my computer from garmin...
If you purchased the DVD, it should include an unlock code. If you got it for free, then the code that comes with your GPS should work.

Note: make sure the version on your GPS is the same as the one you're going to load on your PC. If they're different, you'll probably get the "maps don't match" error when you go to navigate from a downloaded route.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
Before you jump on the 478, take a close look at the 376C. The 376C INCLUDES the GXM-30 antenna which IS the XM receiver. It is not included with the 478 and that stupid thing is expensive (another $200+).
The 478 comes with all maps pre-loaded...the 376C would require additional data cards (not to mention downloading, carrying them, and changing them out) to match that capability. Maybe worth the trade-off and maybe not.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
DT said:
The 478 comes with all maps pre-loaded...the 376C would require additional data cards (not to mention downloading, carrying them, and changing them out) to match that capability. Maybe worth the trade-off and maybe not.
Not true. According to the "comparison" chart, the 376C comes with the standard America's Autoroute, just like the 26xx/27xx/28xx series units. The 478 just has more Marine maps and unless you're planning on doing a lot of offshore, the 376C would be a better choice.

One another note, I looked at the ZUMO maps and it indicates that it's has Americas Lite Routable, which has less detail than the Americas Autoroute. I thought this was interesting.

That comp0arison chart has a lot of very useful information.

Bartman

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bartman,
...the 376C comes with the standard America's Autoroute
This is not the same as having City Navigator NA 8 or even City Select -- this "base map" does not have small street-level detail or address-level capability...!

The 376 still needs CN NA 8 at ~$120-130 to have full detail for US, CN, AK, HI and PR.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
From the Cycle Gadgets Web Site:

Comparing the 376C with the 378/478: Since the new 378 and 478 GPS receivers have come out, we're getting a lot of questions on the similarities and differences between the 376C and these newer models. There are a lot of similarities - they share the same case, screen, and capabilities (road/marine use, XM audio & weather). The differences are:

GPSMap 376C

Road and Marine detail maps are not included with GPS, available as separate purchase. Memory card required for detail maps.
Automotive cradle, dash mount, and cigarette power cord are not included with GPS
Garmin GXM-30 XM Smart Antenna, which allows XM audio or XM Weather to be used (with appropriate subscriptions), is included with the 376C

GPSMap 378/478

Full North American US/Canada detail road maps are included with the 378/478, pre-installed in internal memory (no memory card needed)
Detail Marine Maps (inland lakes with 378; costal waters with 478) are included, pre-installed with no need for a memory card
Automotive cradle, dash mount, cigarette power cord are included
Garmin GXM-30 XM Smart Antenna is supported, but is not included and must be purchased separately if XM audio or weather features are desired

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
OK...I stand corrected. I was only basing my information on what was provided on Garmin's website.

Oh well...I have my 2730 and am VERY HAPPY with it.

Bartman

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
RickM said:
I am narrowing down my search for GPS's. There sure are a lot of things to think about. I have 2 things I need to figure out.

1. Is there a unit that has both nex-rad radar AND an MP3 player? I think the only choices for nex-rad are the 376c/378 or 478 but they don't have a MP3 player. Any other models that have nex-rad that I can look into? That looks like a cool feature to have.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Rick
How about this one...

Van

http://www.woot.com/

Whistler WGPX-550 GPS Navigation System
$249.99

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have the 376. When you buy one, order a Automotive kit. It comes with everything you need. Cradle, 2 power cords, data card, Nav 8, etc. The only thing I added was a larger 512mb card. It comes with a 128 card. You can load almost all of the Southeast on it. No need to change out the cards. I loaded the lower United States on the 512, I put it in when I am traveling across the country. I think someone did a price comparo agaisnt the 478 and the 376 came out a little cheaper.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Toyo: I have a couple questions for you:

1. Would I still need to order a RAM mount with the auto kit?

2. You said you loaded the southern half of the US on the 512 card. Would the card have taken all of the US if you wanted? So if I went for example from Georgia to North Dakota - I would just load the states that I needed for that trip if I couldn't load the whole US? The 512 card is the biggest one they have. And they are proprietary cards so you have to buy their cards.

I think the 128 meg one would be enough for me now with the southeastern US. But I am curious about my options in the future. Some day we will venture out of our 5 state area.

Rick

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
RickM said:
1. Would I still need to order a RAM mount with the auto kit?
The auto kit doesn't include any RAM hardware. The marine mount could theoretically be mounted directly to the fairing, windshield, etc. without RAM hardware, but I think most people use RAM hardware attached to the marine cradle.

RickM said:
2. You said you loaded the southern half of the US on the 512 card. Would the card have taken all of the US if you wanted? So if I went for example from Georgia to North Dakota - I would just load the states that I needed for that trip if I couldn't load the whole US?
No, the entire mapset for the US is about 1.6GB - you'll need multiple cards to hold them all.

The 512 card is the biggest one they have. And they are proprietary cards so you have to buy their cards.
Correct - that's why they have switched to the pre-loaded units for the newer models. They're coming out with a new GPSMap 500-series family next summer that include the satellite overlay images (like the Lowrance iWay 600c)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Rick, Like Jon said the card will not hold the entire US. What I do is put in the states I will be traveling thru. Works perfect. As you are picking the areas to download it tells you where you are at in regards to storage. So if your getting close to 512 you can make changes. I think the 128 will be just fine for you. I have the Southeast on my 128 and its not even full by any means.
I have the EK Mount. It works perfect and puts the Gps kinda down so its not sticking up like a sore thumb. I can still see it perfectly. Thier products are very well made and easy as pie to install. Do you remember seeing where mine is?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everybody. There are so many variables, I have created a spreadsheet to figure this out!

Steven - I checked out their site and their mount looks good. I will study yours more next time we meet.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
RickM said:
...1. Would I still need to order a RAM mount with the auto kit?...
Another option might be the dash-mount method. Jon produces one as does V&P (http://www.vpaccessories.com)...click on the GL1800 link then page down to the 26xx dash mount (this is what I use for my 478 - if you would like a picture of it mounted, let me know and I'll email one to you).

Hope that helps...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts