GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading down to Vancouver, WA from Sandpoint, ID this Saturday to pick up a bike. Doing a one-way dropoff with a rental car, will ride the bike back. I'm going to blow down '84 on the way down, but am looking for something nicer on the way back that is still fairly quick and direct. I see hwy 14 on the N. side of the Columbia river. Anyone taken it? Is it a nice road...or one better avoided if I need to make time. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have not tried that one yet, but let’s see if @CAWing sees this. He is from that area and may be able to give you some info. It looks like a great alternative to I-84. Make sure you post your comments about it if you do ride it.

We just got back from our annual 2 week stay in the Sandpoint area last week (Blanchard). Trailered the Wing and bicycles (and all kinds of stuff...). Last year we had lunch at a little diner in Sagle on Hwy 95. Love the area! ?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Was in Vancouver in May and came east on I 84, looking at hwy 14 across the river they run parallel to each other. Watched tractor trailer on the other side and was keeping pace with the traffic on I 84. I turned off at the exit for Walla walla so no more info.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I can't directly compare as we have taken 14 several times but have never used I84. 14 is a nice quiet highway with minimal traffic and in a good state of repair. We do, however, tend to avoid interstates and large cities whenever practical.

·
Registered
785 Posts
In July I rode Hwy 14 from White Salmon eastbound, and I-84. This was my maiden voyage on my new '19 DCT Tour.

Both are scenic highways (s shown on AAA maps.). Both are beautiful.

Hwy 14 is more enjoyable just because you don't have the volume of traffic as I-84 does, and you're not navigating among the numerous 18-wheelers on the interstate.

Take Hwy 14 if at all possible; you won't be disappointed.

Tim

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I have not tried that one yet, but let’s see if @CAWing sees this. He is from that area and may be able to give you some info. It looks like a great alternative to I-84. Make sure you post your comments about it if you do ride it.

We just got back from our annual 2 week stay in the Sandpoint area last week (Blanchard). Trailered the Wing and bicycles (and all kinds of stuff...). Last year we had lunch at a little diner in Sagle on Hwy 95. Love the area! ��
Stay off I84 if at all possible as the truck traffic is a pain in the a$$ and lately their have been lots of truck accidents and when that happens you will sit there for hrs while they are clearing the road. Hwy 14 is a good road for motorcycle travel. Make sure you stop at the Stonehenge Replica in Maryhill WA overlooking the Columbia River
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryhill_Stonehenge

Sam Hill's Stonehenge

Address:
Stonehenge Dr., Maryhill, WADirections:I-84 exit 104 in Oregon. Cross the river into Washington on Hwy 97 and drive 2.5 miles until it dead-ends at Lewis and Clark Hwy/Hwy 14. Turn right, drive one mile, then turn right onto Stonehenge Drive. Drive three-quarters of a mile; Stonehenge on right.Phone:509-773-3733RA Rates:https://www.roadsideamerica.com/about/ratings
Major Fun

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
A few years ago we rode part of it while travelling east to west. Definitely enjoyed the section we rode.

I think we crossed to the south at White Salmon/Hood River and then took I84 for a while. Probably could have stayed on 14 til the next bridge to the west (Bridge of Gods) and I don't know why we didn't. Regardless, don't miss the "Historic Columbia River Highway" on the south side.

Lots of places to stop for view/photos on both 14 and on the 'historic' highway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies-I thought I responded yesterday but for some reason it didn't post. So, after some more research, my plan is to cross over to the Portland side and run 84 to Multnomah Falls. I've read of it many times, always wanted to go and see it. 600 foot waterfall should be pretty cool. We'll head east and cross over at White Salmon and hit 14.Might be a fairly short ride before we're ready to get a room-I'm thinking around the Dalles. Then pick up 14 again the next morning and swing in and look at Stonehenge. I understand that admission is $12...might just admire it from the road. Then run it to I-82 and up through Kennewick.

Any good (but not to expensive) local restaurants in The Dalles?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Thanks for all the replies-I thought I responded yesterday but for some reason it didn't post. So, after some more research, my plan is to cross over to the Portland side and run 84 to Multnomah Falls. I've read of it many times, always wanted to go and see it. 600 foot waterfall should be pretty cool. We'll head east and cross over at White Salmon and hit 14.Might be a fairly short ride before we're ready to get a room-I'm thinking around the Dalles. Then pick up 14 again the next morning and swing in and look at Stonehenge. I understand that admission is $12...might just admire it from the road. Then run it to I-82 and up through Kennewick.

Any good (but not to expensive) local restaurants in The Dalles?
Good luck with trying to get a parking spot in the parking lot for Multnomah Falls. Being such a popular tourist site the parking lot fills up fast and they close it off but maybe you can squeeze a motorcycle in someplace. Also the tourist season is winding down so maybe it won't be so crowded. It's definitely worth stopping there. Safe travels on your journey home.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
353 Posts
I understand that admission is $12...might just admire it from the road.
No, there isn't an admission fee to Stonehenge. There is a fee at the Maryhill Museum. See their website here.

If you're set on seeing Multnomah Falls, then I suggest that you consider taking old US30, The Columbia River Highway, from Troutdale to its re intersection with I-84 near Ainsworth State Park. https://goo.gl/maps/b1StMwFoEjtXxQaUA It's worth the ride.

Also, be aware, that crossing the Columbia River (WA to or from OR) will incur a bridge toll ($1 for motorcycles; if pulling a trailer -$2) unless you're crossing on a US Federal Highway or Interstate.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have taken SR-14 from Vancouver, WA to its intersection with I-82, in both directions. It's a more relaxed ride at a generally slower pace than I-84. It's two lanes all the way. The speed limit is 55mph from Vancouver to Bingen, where is will rise to 60mph. It will rise to 65mph from its intersection with US97 until I-82.

Also, be aware, that Bingen has the last fuel stop on SR-14 eastbound. (There is a fuel station in Paterson, WA, but it is a members only fuel station).

SR-14 is a very nice road to ride on. There is some construction, but not much, going on. Check here for updates.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, there isn't an admission fee to Stonehenge. There is a fee at the Maryhill Museum. See their website here.

If you're set on seeing Multnomah Falls, then I suggest that you consider taking old US30, The Columbia River Highway, from Troutdale to its re intersection with I-84 near Ainsworth State Park. https://goo.gl/maps/b1StMwFoEjtXxQaUA It's worth the ride.

Also, be aware, that crossing the Columbia River (WA to or from OR) will incur a bridge toll ($1 for motorcycles; if pulling a trailer -$2) unless you're crossing on a US Federal Highway or Interstate.
That route looks a whole lot nicer than I-84, thank you! Yeah, I saw the toll, was figuring on crossing Bridge of the Gods. Looks like a long, open steel grating bridge-not my favorite thing (I have this thing about heights), but gets me where I want to go.

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Food in the Dalles

I would recommend eating at Cousins restaurant in the Dalles good family restaurant. Prices are decent and it’s locally owned. The chicken fried steak is amazing. Highway 14 is well worth the drive. The only issue is there are many places without a shoulder so pulling off can be a challenge. Mary hill is also worth stopping at if you have time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, we rode the bike home. Old Hwy 30 from Portland to Multnomah Falls, 84 over to The Dalles for the night (due to time) then 14 to Stonehenge, then Kennewick and slabbed it from there (also due to time). Had a good ride and enjoyed the trip. We had dinner at the Rivertap Pub (a little overpriced and slow service, but good food, beer and nice patio). Empowered, I didn't see your post in time, Cousin's would have been closer to our motel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts