GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
# 2 mechanic here. I just finished telling what I THINK was a newbie on this site that there is no such thing as a dumb question. He seemed a bit concerned about it. Anyway, here's my 'dumb' question.

The bike is up and balanced on a lift. I take off either tire. Isn't the bike going to fall over ??

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
When I remove tires on a lift I first put the Wing on its center stand. I then strap it to lift so that it becomes secure.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The bike is up and balanced on a lift. I take off either tire. Isn't the bike going to fall over ??
You have the bike on a lift sitting on both tires? How do you remove a tire if the bike is balanced on them?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I also have a J&S jack. Removing the wheels is not a problem. And despite what the J&S videos show about no need to strap the bike down, I do.

The best spot is with the left jack arm about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way from the pivot of the center stand. About 2" to 3" seems about right.

Looking at another site has the weight distribution at 40/60 front/rear. With a 67" wheelbase puts the CG about 40" back. That is pretty much in a line with the back edge of the right side cover.
Had it up on the stand last week for a fork removal. Set the jack a little too far back to where the left lift arm was about 1/2" from the pivot. I think that put the bike a little too far forward. There was just a minor touch of tippyness.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So I actually went through this experience recently when I took off the front and rear wheels on my 2015 GL 1800.

I have one of those jacks that I think you can get at Harbor Freight, mine was purchased from a private party so I'm not entirely sure what the brand is right now, but where you can actually lift the bike with this kind of a jack is by putting the pivot point of the center stand on one of the two lateral arms.

There doesn't really seem to be any other place to put the jack. I did lift it up fairly high and I felt it was a little unstable so I used ratchet straps on the front and rear crash bars attached to the lift to secure the whole thing.

I did have to spend some time underneath the rear wheel to wrestle it into place and I made sure not to jostle the bike too much. All in all it seems relatively stable but I wasn't about to rock It violently to find out just how stable it really was.

I will say that the most difficult part was putting the rear wheel back in place because you have to lift it up and line up the lug nuts with the holes which in my case proved to be more difficult than I anticipated. Part of the problem is you have limited Mobility underneath the bike and the wheel is not that light. I think I may experiment with lowering the lift down some more, but I was afraid that if I did that while the wheel was not secure I might do some damage, because my lift is a little touchy when you press the release lever and it's hard to get it to go down gently.

When I remove the front wheel I lowered the lift so that the wheel was just barely off the ground. that's really all the clearance you need to roll the front wheel out and it felt safer to me that way

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
I use a Pitbull lift and have removed either the front or rear tire with no problems. I've been doing this for 12 - 13 years and I
never tie the bike down. I usually leave the lift in the air and raise the new tire and wheel up while laying on my side. It's a little struggle,
but I'm 77 years old.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You have the bike on a lift sitting on both tires? How do you remove a tire if the bike is balanced on them?
If you are using the common type of bike jack;
Center the lift as best you can. Stabilize the lift with (usually) equipped stabilizers - they either screw down to floor surface, or have outriggers that swing out. They are not b.s.- they really do help. Jack bike to desired level, IF it raises stably, IF NOT, realign lift. Once it starts to raise, install a tie strap from bike to lift. If you strap over the saddle, be aware the strap tightens as you lift, so adjust as you go. One thing I like to do, is place "just in case" blocks or items to catch the bike if lift fails. Most lifts have some sort of safety catch on them to do this, also. BUT: remember any catches or blocks you put in the way of the lift, so you don't destabilize it when you go to lower. Sometimes, there is a balancing act, as you remove one wheel or the other. Should be okay, if you just use proper caution. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I made a silly post on off topic called, "Help - Downside not working!". The post included a picture of my last tire replacement, utilizing my jack in this manner. (Of course, disregard truck tires in picture!)

I should note: on my F6B, I use the center stand on the floor to remove the rear wheel. I put the rear back on, and use my jack to raise and do the front.
Maybe a little more time consuming, but much safer with these heavy bikes.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It is SOOOO Easy to loosen the lug-nuts, gently lay the bike on its right side crash-bars, fully deploy the center-stand, remove the lug-nuts and remove the rear tire horizontally. Reverse the procedure before torquing the nuts.
Of course the front is another story, that requires the center-stand and a small jack under the engine.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Where did you get THAT from ?? " .............. sitting on both tires." I never said that and re-reading my post, I never even implied it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big thanks to all of you !!! Obviously, there are MANY methods and I much appreciate all of your answers/experiences.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
\
/
Where did you get THAT from ?? " .............. sitting on both tires." I never said that and re-reading my post, I never even implied it.
I was asking a question because you gave, IMO, a vague description. You wrote "The bike is up and balanced on a lift. I take off either tire. Isn't the bike going to fall over ?? "

You didn't say how it was balanced. You didn't say what kid of lift. You didn't say why you thought the bike might fall over.

I have had several bikes on an HF lift (not at the same time, of course) and removed one or both tires. Never in all those operations has the thought of the bike falling over entered my mind. There is plenty of surface area for the bike to sit steadily.

As long as you're comfortable with how you get the bike up and secured, that is what really matters. Like you said, there are different ways to do it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
\
/
I was asking a question because you gave, IMO, a vague description. You wrote "The bike is up and balanced on a lift. I take off either tire. Isn't the bike going to fall over ?? "

You didn't say how it was balanced. You didn't say what kid of lift. You didn't say why you thought the bike might fall over.

I have had several bikes on an HF lift (not at the same time, of course) and removed one or both tires. Never in all those operations has the thought of the bike falling over entered my mind. There is plenty of surface area for the bike to sit steadily.

As long as you're comfortable with how you get the bike up and secured, that is what really matters. Like you said, there are different ways to do it.
Okaaaay.................. I just couldn't let this part go..................... " You didn't say why you thought the bike might fall over. "

.................because taking any weight off of either side and you don't have a 50/50 balance anymore. Hello !!! Physics 101. Even a # 2 mechanic knows that, right ?? Yes.

Anyway, Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Okaaaay.................. I just couldn't let this part go..................... " You didn't say why you thought the bike might fall over. "

.................because taking any weight off of either side and you don't have a 50/50 balance anymore. Hello !!! Physics 101. Even a # 2 mechanic knows that, right ?? Yes.

Anyway, Thanks for your responses.
You have to remember the bike is not balancing on a single point, like a seesaw. There are at least 2 points of contact with the lift, right?

Another avenue you may or may not use when working on your bike is Youtube. I know there are vids of Wings (and other bikes) on lifts. I used it a week or so ago when researching a turbo problem on my truck. Yes, you sometimes have to sift thru some chaff.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It is SOOOO Easy to loosen the lug-nuts, gently lay the bike on its right side crash-bars, fully deploy the center-stand, remove the lug-nuts and remove the rear tire horizontally. Reverse the procedure before torquing the nuts.
Of course the front is another story, that requires the center-stand and a small jack under the engine.
Easiest way to do it... and I have a wonderful lift where the back part can be pulled out to drop the tire. Lifting the tire back up and in isn't to easy. Tilting the bike down on it's right side allows easy access and easy replacement. Just be sure to put some rubber mats or old soft carpet squares under the tip over bars. This method also gives you practice to get your bike up if it ever tips over!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
# 2 mechanic here. I just finished telling what I THINK was a newbie on this site that there is no such thing as a dumb question. He seemed a bit concerned about it. Anyway, here's my 'dumb' question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a chain lift loosely connected to the bars as a safety any time I have a bike in the air. A rope or strap or anything connected to the ceiling will work. Just a precaution especially if you work alone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts