GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had rigged up my 1500 so with the flip of a double throw, triple pole switch I could go from using my CB to my 2 meter rig using the helmet mic and speakers. I've studied the service manual for the GL1800 but having trouble determining which is the PPT line, receive, and audio (mic) lines.

Has anyone else rigged up an 1800 for 2 meter operation this way? If so, give me a little clue where the splices need to be placed.

Thanks,
Doug, N3AIA

·
Registered
94 Posts
2 meter rig

I have a 2 meter mobile (Kenwood) rig and love it. The problem is, I can never find anyone on two meters to talk to. We have a few local hams who get on a net once a week, but have very little to say. If you rode with a bunch of buddies who were hams, it would be great. I have my 2 meter rig on the shelf and can't find much use for it. Do you find other hams on the road using 2 meters?
Curt Fesler N6WZE

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had a similar setup on my 1500 wing for my 706 with a screwdriver and a 2 mtr 1/4 wave antenna. With a flip of the switch I could go from cb to ham. With my 1800 I just use a HT with the ear/mic and a PTT switch. It's easy and allows me to work local repeaters here in Mobile.

Good luck, if you find much, post it for all of us.

ken H

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 2 meter rig

Curt Fesler said:
I have a 2 meter mobile (Kenwood) rig and love it. The problem is, I can never find anyone on two meters to talk to. We have a few local hams who get on a net once a week, but have very little to say. If you rode with a bunch of buddies who were hams, it would be great. I have my 2 meter rig on the shelf and can't find much use for it. Do you find other hams on the road using 2 meters?
Curt Fesler N6WZE
We have 2 members in our chapter that are hams and on a trip up the Blue Ridge Parkwy. this past Summer, 2 of us used 2 meters to stay in touch. When we each took a side trip we used a repeater to stay in touch and obviously, were able to stay in touch even though we were 30 miles apart at times. However, there are not a whole bunch of hams on Gold Wings.

·
Registered
567 Posts
We have had lots of good response from people using our FRSets and PTT interfaces to hook Kenwoods into the 1800's audio system. You do need to have the intercom turned on for it to work, but othere than that there's no splicing and cutting. It all just plugs together.

Jon
www.cellset.com

·
Registered
79 Posts
Knwd TM 742 on 1800

I use the Kennedy set with my 1800 and Kenwood TM742 tri-bander. It works so well, and so easy to set up. Here in the Los Angeles area all 3 bands (2, 440 and 220) are busy at times. I use the 440 for MARC events and chatting with MARC buddies. Still use 220 quite a bit as well. I have the Kury rack on truck with 220 ant on one corner and 2/440 on the other. Next comes the Kennedy set up for GPS and telephone. Not sure I will ever MAKE a call from bike while moving, but will be able to answer calls from the SO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
HAM rig

I just installed a 2m/70cm setup on my 1800. I'm using the Kennedy FR set with my I-COM W32A Handheld and a 2m/70cm antenna (Maldol)mounted on my Luggage rack. Antenna folds down just like the CB and radio antennas and using my cover is no problem. With the Kennedy FR set no splicing or cutting etc.. :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
A simple/budget way to operate is with a HT and spk/mic. I don't have a CB installed and never will. You can connect to the grip PTT switch and run a remote line out to a modified spk/mic. This permits remote keying. The spk/mic is velcroed to the chin of my full helmet. My Alincos and FRS use the same mic plugs. I will soon modify a CB HT to use for those chapter rides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts