GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the Villages we have a large motorcycle club called the Nomads. A group of about 25 bikes went for breakfast (I was not there, but was told by one of the injured).

As they were mounting up to return, an 1800 apparently started to wobble and too much throttle was used to straighten it out. He unfortunately smashed into the back of a parked 1997 1500 SE which had the rider on board. I understand he bounced off then came up the side and hit the right motor area. Both went down. Heavy damage to both bikes Superficial injuries to both riders who went down with the bikes. Nobody knows for sure how or why it happened, but God was looking out for both of them. I am told there were 10 or 15 people standing near-by and could have easily been the crash point.

As you might expect the 1800 rider feels awful. The 1500 rider, who is president of the club, is real sore.

I think we can all appreciate how easy it is to not know exactly how to react in an unexpected panic situation. I post this only as a thinking point for all of us. We are in a risky hobby, let's all plan every move, every time. It's soooooo easy to forget.

JLK

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Based on what you described, the 1800 rider might want to take up another sport.

May I assume he is over 60 and has ridden less than 20k miles in his life. And this is his 1st, maybe 2nd bike.

Not trying to be mean, just curious.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Rides

God was certainly with the entire group. I regularly ride with 15-25 club members and there are rare incidents occasionally. However, people "see" a group of riders much easier than the loan wolf, and that in itself is a safety feature.

Stay blessed.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
JAN,
"While mounting up to return a GL1800 started to wobble & too much throttle was used to straighten it out & ran into a parked GL1500".
With all due respect,since i wasn't there,this unfortunate scenario sounds like a routine case of pilot error to me. :oops:
The 1800 rider simply lost control of a motorcycle in a parking lot. Wobble? :roll:
Were Bloody Mary's imbibed @ breakfast? :D
Seen several riders wobble while mounting up,but never a motorcycle start wobbling on it's own while parked.
Merry Christmas to all,
the hobo

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Jan,
I remind myself every day when I get on my GL1800 of the potential dangers of our hobby.

Speaking of throttles, that's one of the first things the salesman told me and the first thing I notice when I rode my new GL1800 for the first time.
The throttle seems to be to sensitive on the bottom end.

I think it could have been made a little less responsive.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was absolutely no alcohol involved in the incident. The 1800 rider has logged over 100,000 miles. It does sound like human error. To error is human.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Re: heh

dangerdave said:
Sorry to hear that. It's why I don't do group rides of more than 2-3 buddies.
Well since it appears that there was only two bikes involved, riding with two or three you could still be at risk. I mean it's not like the other twenty three bikes caused the accident.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
And it started to wobble?

Yea, stuff happens. Remember, Orville was the only person that had zero chance of a mid-air. That went to pot when Wilber started to fly.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
There was absolutely no alcohol involved in the incident. The 1800 rider has logged over 100,000 miles. It does sound like human error. To error is human.
I'm glad the injuries were minor!

Please stop playing "The Villages" commercials here in Arizona. Ain't no way we're gonna pull up stakes to move to "Hurricain Alley". I swear, every hour or so we have another "Villages" commercial. Are you in the video?

Matt Caswell

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
Well, there yuh go. That answers the question.
Everyone knows there's gonna' be a problem if you get that many people together without alcohol. :lol:
Sure glad the worst injuries were to the :oops: Egos :oops:.
DC

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mattcaswell said:
Jan Kokochak said:
I'm glad the injuries were minor!

Please stop playing "The Villages" commercials here in Arizona. Ain't no way we're gonna pull up stakes to move to "Hurricain Alley". I swear, every hour or so we have another "Villages" commercial. Are you in the video?

Matt Caswell
Okay, I'll agree. The next time the Villages developer calls me and asks my opinion on where to run their commercials, I'll tell them to skip Arizona. In so far as "Hurricane Alley" goes, I lived in "tornado alley" in Iowa and Kansas, "Snow Alley" in New York and Pennsylvania" and "Earthquake Alley" in California. Ya gotta learn to live with what ya got. I believe I take a bigger chance everytime I get on my motorcycle. We are situated in the middle of the state, where it seems the Hurricanes are greatly reduced in strength when they arrive. NO, I am not in the commercial. They didn't pay enough for me to accept.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,472 Posts
I am happy to hear that your buddies received only minor injuries..

and while on the subject.. i don't ride with large groups... and i am very
familar with whom ever I ride with.... some folks I would ride across the parking lot with..

no flaming intended...

cosmic

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
IR Harry writes:

..."Orville was the only person that had zero chance of a mid-air. That went to pot when Wilber started to fly."

Now that's rich. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
I believe I take a bigger chance everytime I get on my motorcycle.
maybe not ...

according to the local and national news stations (but aw heck, who listens to those)
"The Villages" most dangerous activity is "dating" ...

it's fast becoming known as "SD alley"
:lol:

Dennis

village gossip

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The fact that the rider who erred had over 100,000 miles does not prove anything.

In 12 years of teaching the MSF ERC, I've come across two types of '20 years of experience':

1 - Rider learned something every year & kept improving skills.

2- Rider repeated the first year's experience 19 times.

The first thing any MSF course stresses is that the clutch is your safety valve. Squirrely situation? Pull in the clutch and regain control.

I've also observed that Wing riders were some of the worst at basic skills. Just observe how many of them ride into a parking lot at an event and cannot keep their feet on the pegs at low speeds.

Today, MC fatalities are up, and two groups are sharing this (not wanted) distinction:

The first are the young quids on crotch rockets.
The second is the boomers who now have a lot of disposable money and want to ride - starting with a large bike - Wing or HD.

The best comment I ever heard was from a friend who had ridden for over 20 years. When I suggested he take the ERC, his answer was that he 'knew everything about motorcycles'. Minutes later, he told me that he had two riding friends who had to 'lay the bike down to avoid an accident'. Well, when your bike goes down, what do you think you've just had?

In the words of Bill Engvall: 'Here's your sign!'

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Hmmmmm.
The Nomads are a one percenter club formed from discontented Hell's Angels. I've met a few of them and they play rough.
Perhaps your Happy Village associates should pick another monicker before somebody with a chip on their shoulder has some fun with them.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
Hmmmmm.
The Nomads are a one percenter club formed from discontented Hell's Angels. I've met a few of them and they play rough.
Perhaps your Happy Village associates should pick another monicker before somebody with a chip on their shoulder has some fun with them.
You definately don't want to mess with these guys!

·
Registered
498 Posts
dicepilot said:
Arn Butt Bill said:
Hmmmmm.
You definately don't want to mess with these guys!

That looks like one tough hombre! Wassup with his riding buddy? He looks like Tiny Tim :shock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts