GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new guy here with a question. I have a '06 ABS and would like to install an accessory plug in the fairing pocket. I also would like to hardwire my Sirius satellite to the bike power on the left side (I would prefer a left mounted radio). Is there a harness on the market that would allow me to have both? One that would plug into the bike's harness and have two outlets - one for the radio and one for the accessory socket? I need the cigarette plug for running my little air compressor and charging my phone but don't want the radio power wiring run through the pocket door. Also, other than the mount what else would I need to put the radio on the bike? Remember, I am a rookie so please be as specific as you can. I will not leave it on the bike permanent but will move it back and forth to my truck.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
'06 White ABS

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Mike, I just did this. I put an outlet in the compartment and hooked another outlet to the back of that outlet. I then plugged in the DC power adapter of my XM radio into that outlet wrapped it in electrical tape and zip tied it to the harness under the compartment box. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't think the power socket in the left pocket will run a compressor . The wire is a bit small for that . This is what I have read anyway .

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The front AUX power socket will allow a 5 amp draw only before blowing the fuse. Most mini compressors (Walmart, etc.) draw up to 11 amps. Better to hard wire a socket back to the battery, or aux fuse block if you have one, (30 amp) for the compressor. I installed a second power socket in the left trunk, wired to my fuse block, to run my compressor. Most of my flats have been in the rear tire so the location is convenient. I used a waterproof (West Marine) socket.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I bought a small compressor and took the end of it off ( you know the part that plugs into your socket)..I put two ( a red and a black ) clips on it so that I can clamp it directly to my battery,,,no chance of it blowing fuses this way..I learned this from these forums, and it works great.

·
Registered
762 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
GWH3, that compressor looks like it is pretty compact and is nice looking. What kind is it and where did you purchase? Thank you for sharing the info and the photo. It is particularly helpful to a visually oriented dufus like me. :roll: :)

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
goldwinghen3 said:
WOW....... :shock:
Look how clean that area is :!:
New bike :?:
Have you been on it yet :?:

·
Registered
705 Posts
I went to Amazon or Ebay can't remember which and found a 3 port cigarette adapter with a 2 foot cord and a power light indicator on the female end so I can see if I am getting power from the bike. I think the price was 5.95 (has weather caps attached) plus a few buckets for shipping. Works super

Got a cigarette lighter adapter plug in for under the left pocket (Not Honda at $31.00) found this one for $14.95 someplace with the correct Gl1800 connector.I think this was the place http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail.php?pgroupid=64

Look under the tab for Universal pug in's a little down the page and you will find one for the Cowling and one for the trunk) can get both of these for the price of a Honda part

I then ran the 3 port adapter cord under the fairing plugged it into the socket under the pocket, a little elec tape to assure they didn't loosen up. A few cable ties and mounted it to my Texelent bar. Could have velcroed it to the side of the fairing.

Now run the Mp3 player if I want to, along with the GPS and have a power port left over.

Had a spare power cable for the GPS cut off the end and added a cigarette adapter end from radio shack so I didn't have the Garmin speaker on the end of the power cord.

Kennedy cell set to the aux and I am wired with no fuse blk, no cutting, no hard wiring.

Changed out my front speakers to J&M which are 3 ohm at 105W (designed for the wing system) for $69.00 a pair and am now waiting for spring

I didn't want to drill holes in pockets, cowling's or my head, didn't want a fuse block or want to cut into a cable to hard wire etc. Very simple and best part CHEAP POWER SOLUTION

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Jobber Jim said:
The front AUX power socket will allow a 5 amp draw only before blowing the fuse...
Not quite accurate - the ACC plug under the LH pocket gets its' power from the 15A ACC fuse (#19). This fuse also provides the power for the ACC terminals on the side of the fuse block which are protected by their own 5A fuse.

The ACC plug under the pocket shares its' power with many other circuits and you're better off trying to plug your compressor into a different location more suitable to that load.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My xp and 2 cents. For a general spare power usage, like the compressor, get a marine cigeratte plug unit. (boat sale place) Then just stick it in the truck with wire to battery. A marine jack has a quarter turn locking edge on it. Looks same as cigeratte plug but with two tabs to twist. Also if for any reason you use the trunk plug to operate or charge something on the road, the plug will not fall out. Like the other availabe trunk outlets sold. :roll:

·
Registered
667 Posts
If I am not mistaked the instructions stated to change the fuse from a 5 to a 20amp. I did this and everything works fine, even the compressor. I would like one in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I just use my GERBINGS connector which is wired directly to the battery with a fuse and a short adapter cord that I made that has a GERBINGS male on one end and a 12v female receptacle on the other end. The small air compressor then plugs in just fine and I can transfer it from bike to bike easily.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a Campbell Hausfeld compressor that I got from Wal Mart. I cut the wires below the cigarette lighter plug, and spliced in a connector from a Battery Tender. It now hooks direct to the Battery Tender plug off the battery, and it has an in-line fuse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts