GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having two problems with my 2610.I don't know if they are related or not.
1) The screen will change to the same view as if zooming in.The speed,direction etc readouts disappear and the back arrow appears in the upper left corner,but it does not zoom in. Usually,touching the back arrow will restore it momentarily,then it happens again.Sometimes it has to be restarted Turn directions still pop up normally.
Seems like it happens more often within the first few minutes of starting up. Then it will work normally for a while except for problem #2

2) Sometimes,when using a route,it will show the current position incorrectly and recalculate the route.The incorrect position is usually what looks like a couple blocks off. Additionally,it seems like it loses the satellite connection more often than it used to.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
1) The screen will change to the same view as if zooming in.The speed,direction etc readouts disappear and the back arrow appears in the upper left corner,but it does not zoom in. Usually,touching the back arrow will restore it momentarily,then it happens again.Sometimes it has to be restarted Turn directions still pop up normally.
Seems like it happens more often within the first few minutes of starting up. Then it will work normally for a while except for problem
This sounds like dirt trapped between the screen and bezel. I've had success using a brush from an electric razor. I hold the edge I'm working on up, so any dirt will fall out, not in.

2) Sometimes,when using a route,it will show the current position incorrectly and recalculate the route.The incorrect position is usually what looks like a couple blocks off.
This usually happens when you loose the satellite connection. I've found myself in the lake according to the GPS when this has happened. :p

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I am having two problems with my 2610.I don't know if they are related or not.
Seems like it happens more often within the first few minutes of starting up. Then it will work normally for a while except for problem #2

2) Sometimes,when using a route,it will show the current position incorrectly and recalculate the route.The incorrect position is usually what looks like a couple blocks off. Additionally,it seems like it loses the satellite connection more often than it used to.

Any ideas?
Jeff,
My 2610 screen does some goofy stuff and will even lock up had have to be turned off and restarted to get it back to normal.

I initially thought it was the IR port picking up interference and screwing up the display. I covered the port with duct tape, but still had the problem.

After lots of hair pulling and four letter words, I finally figured out that one of the internal components was heat sensitive and breaking down. When on the bike I try to keep a good air flow across the GPS. When on the dash in the car I keep the defroster on so that the cool air will old the temp down. This may or may not help your unit, but maybe worth a try.

For less than the $200 Garmin repair fee you can get a good refurb unit from several Internet resellers or even from ebay. :cool:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a lot of searching of message boards,I think I have the problem fixed.

I tried disabling the remote.I found the screen for recalibrating the touchscreen.I tried cleaning the screen and bezel,reseating the memory card,and found the reboot procedure,all no luck.
FYI To reboot,you hold the PAGE and MENU buttons down,then turn the power on. You will lose all your waypoints and routes,and all your settings go back to presets.

I also learned that if you press the MENU and FIND buttons and then powering up a diagnostic screen comes up.While in that diagnostic mode,if you press PAGE,it goes through a series of diagnostics.During this,the recalibration screen came up and I recalibrated again while in the diagnostic mode.

I played around with it on my desk for over an hour,and it's working as normal.
Then I took it with me for a short trip to the mall,and all seems to be back to normal.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Jeff, I just replaced the bezel on a 2610 and found a lot of scale built up between the gasket and screen, as well as between the gasket and the bezel itself.

Yours is old enough that you might have some deposits as well, causing the screen to experience 'phantom presses'.

(Just something to keep in mind if it comes back again)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff, I just replaced the bezel on a 2610 and found a lot of scale built up between the gasket and screen, as well as between the gasket and the bezel itself.

Yours is old enough that you might have some deposits as well, causing the screen to experience 'phantom presses'.

(Just something to keep in mind if it comes back again)
Thanks Jon,
If it happens again, is it a simple procedure to remove the bezel?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I also had a similar problem as to accuracy and then all of a sudden it wouldn't read my maps. Garmin told me it was a card reader error that couldn't be fixed. I opened it up and cleaned it and still no go. Just playing around I disconnected and then reconnected the two ribbon connectors. Problem solved.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
It's pretty easy to get to the display, Jeff. If you don't disconnect the remote antenna connector from the back, it makes it a little more awkward, but you don't have to disconnect any of the ribbon cables to get to the display.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Jon if you were referring to my post I didn't mean to imply that removing ribbon cables was necessary, just that it fixed my problem They were not loose or particularly dirty looking. However once I removed them, wiped and replaced my card reading error was corrected. Since I'm not an expert I can't say why, just that it did. Frankly I'm not even sure what the ribbon connectors do.:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
NP - I actually wasn't even referring to your post, but once you crack the back and see all those cables and connectors, you could get intimidated.

I can't remember now if there's a connector to disconnect the front panel pushbuttons or not, but that may be one connector that will need to be released.

I should've taken some pictures of the process, but I was in a hurry to get Ken his GPS back...

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's pretty easy to get to the display, Jeff. If you don't disconnect the remote antenna connector from the back, it makes it a little more awkward, but you don't have to disconnect any of the ribbon cables to get to the display.
Well...if I have an issue I still have your sell number saved...:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts