GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sears lift (I know it's not the best).
I have a belly pan installed. Where (how) is the best way to position the lift on the bike?
My second question: when installing accessories that require you to remove plastic, trunk, etc. how important is a torque wrench? I have the Honda manual and it shows torque settings for everything.

thanks, mike

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Stapler,put your lift under the bike with about 1 inch of the front of the center stand on the on the rear pad of the lift. Raise it up a little ways , just enough to hold the bike up,and check to see if everything is ok, should be. Then go a head and lift it up.
Most accessories dont require torqueing. Stuff like a fork brace, or a trailer hitch would. But a torque wrench is always a handy thing to have around.
**** :) :yw1:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ****.
If I understand correctly, the front pad of the lift will be directly on the belly pan I installed. Is this correct?
Also, I see that the Sears lift will not slide under the bike on the side stand. Should I start the lift with the bike on the center stand or should I elevate the bike on boards before lifting?

Thanks, mike

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Not on center stand

...Hope, cannot have it on the center stand as the rear lift point is the front part of the center stand (when it is folded up). Put the bike on the side stand and stard sliding the lift under the bike from the opposite side. It should go under the front (sorta point down) parts of the center stand and on the belly pan/case. While working the lift, bring the bike back up to the upright position and easily jack up the lift to take up the tension/weight. Check under the bike to ensure that all is positioned properly and then bring it on up. Will want to ensure that the lift is sorta forward on the center stand point so that the both the front and rear tires come off the ground and the bike is balanaced.

To lower the bike let it come down slow to where the tires are touching the floor. Be sure and hold on to the bike well. With the side stand down, slowly bring down the lift and let the bike lean towards the side stand. Might want to have an extra hand around the first time, but after that you'll get the feeling for it.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mike - with your lift you never want to have your bike on the center stand, the rear arm of the lift should be lifting against the center stand.
Set your preload adjustment to 25 and have your bike on the side stand. When sliding your lift under the bike from the right side you may find it helpful to either have the front wheel on a 2 X 4 or holding your bike so it is more upright and perpendicular to the ground level. Once the lift is securely under the bike then you can start pumping the bike up to the level desired.

DaleC

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
....and use the tie downs to secure the bike to the lift.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds so simple! Thanks for the input.
mike

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
SentraSR20 said:
Is the belly pan required to use the Sears lift? Thanks!
No... Since he happens to have one he was concerned that the lift might damage it. From what I understand, if you have one it can be left on when lifting the bike with the jack.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sears Lift

I don't know if all the responders have the Sear's lift, but everyone seemed to miss the complete method that I've run into with the Sear's lift, as well as about four of my friends who all have it.

The only way to work the lift, we've found, is to put a 2x4 (I use a 2x6 actually) under the rear tire. The preload is not as important, but it does help to run it up high. The 2x4 is critical.

With the bike on the 2x4, run the lift in from the opposite side from the center stand with the left lift support under the center stand, as far forward as you can.

Once you get the bike a few inches up, you'll know if it's balanced right. If not, the front wheel won't lift.

When the bike's up, tie it down to the lift and then turn the stabilizing supports on the main side of the lift. Those are those thumb screw type things that push against the ground as they will really help to stablize the bike on the lift and reduce any wobble. Don't forget to lock the lift in place and lock the wheels.

I don't know if I'd sit on the bike like Bulldog lifts do, no reason to, but I'm very comfortable with the Craftsman lift and it's worked like a charm for me.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Tie Downs

I wrapped one set around the front engine guard and brought that to the rear tie down on the Sears lift. I then ran from the rear engine guard to the front of the Sears lift.

G

·
Even though I am returned the Sears lift and getting a Pit Bull, here are the steps I used.
To Raise 1800:
1. Raise the suspension to 25
2. Place bike on the side stand with stand on 2x4
3. Insure wheel is turned toward side stand
4. Slide lift under bike
5. Place the left lift Pad under the pivot point for the center stand.
6. Push slightly on handlebar (toward side stand) with right hand
7. Using jack handle, slide lift under bike until centered. There will be some resistance
8. Hold right handle bar while raising
9. Raise until slight tire contact & front fork straight
10. Check jack positioning
11. Raise to one of three stop position
12. Insure safety lock is in place.
13. Stap bike to jack D-rings using tie-downs (optional)

To Lower:
1. Remove tie downs
2. Disengage safety lock
3. Lower jack until 2 inchs before tire contact.
4. Check to insure 2x4 is properly positioned under side stand.
5. Continue to lower jack all the way down while gently pushing right handle bar turning wheel toward side jack
6. Verify 2x4 okay
7. Holding right handlebar pointing wheel into sidestand, pull jack out with handle.
Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts