GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No need to hear from the Leave the pets at home crowd!

I have two Small dogs and my wife hates leaving the girls at home (even with someone is taking them for walks etc) for more than a few days. we have done three weeks on the road and she calls twice a day (if not more) worried about the girls and quite frankly with the coyotes in the area many times I worry as well.

I've looked at the wags trailer but Im concerned on weight distribution. It appears most of the cargo weight runs forward of the axle. With a large dog this may not be an issue but with a total of 15 pounds in our case it is. Kennel costs quite a bit and Im not sure the SO would consider it. At 40 or so a day Im not keen on it either.

SO tell me for those of you that travel two up and have SMALL pets, what do you do to put your SO's and your mind at ease?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
We have two 6lb Papillons, my co-rider now passed would leash them as teather and hold the leash tight while both sat on her lap behind me. Highway or City, no matter. Gizmo would sometimes try to leap, but always teathered. Bijoux just lays in the lap quietly. We never considered putting them in a trailer, our kids just loved to be with us up front!

As for general safety, if one can learn how to handle a scraping peg shocking you, then you can handle a dog barking or trying to leap behind. Some people would roll down their windows and scold us as we travelled with the dogs up front, but they obviously don't think it through as we take the responsibility for our own human mortality as we ride, we also take that same responsibility for our furry kids who travel with us through life. They care more for our pets than us ... Most smile at the sight, and some even take pictures of us, so there is general acceptance.

When I am by myself, I can only take one dog in my marsupial bag tied to my front, internal teather and all. You may consider, if your dogs are somewhat unruly, to each have your own marsupial doggy bag and share in the carriage if my suggestion of just holding them in the co-rider's lap does not appeal to you.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
These are what I have looked at in the past, but the SO just holds "The ZIP" when he goes with us. These carriers are mostly for the Cruiser Type Machine.

http://www.road-hound.com/

http://www.tbags.com/Detail.aspx?ID=57&selectedcat=3

This is Zip a day or two after I got the Trike. Already took over the Primary Position.

"NO You get on the BACK" Now he Gears up like Dad, and has acquired an Attitude. His favorite tune is the Honda song. I want-a ride, I want-a ride, I want-a ride, I want-a ride.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think Maria could hold two dogs all day. The risk is just to great of something going wrong.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Joseph said:
I dont think Maria could hold two dogs all day. The risk is just to great of something going wrong.
Then get some marsupial bags like these
Pink one for Maria :)

You each can have one.

If that doesn't work, try velcro! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You didn't say how small your dogs are? Will both fit in a small pet carrier?

I've seen people secure a small pet carrier to the trunk rack with great success.

I don't think I could handle putting my pets in a trailer behind my vehicle. For me there would be no peace of mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Neosha trailer wood slats on top, mounted pet carrier to top of it plexiglassed front grate( protects dog from debri and wind) also installed turn down muffler tips just in case....Dog loves it and no problems!! Get plenty of onlookers!!..Wilpir

·
Registered
787 Posts
Joseph said:
No need to hear from the Leave the pets at home crowd!

I've looked at the wags trailer but Im concerned on weight distribution. It appears most of the cargo weight runs forward of the axle. With a large dog this may not be an issue but with a total of 15 pounds in our case it is.
Why not have a Wags built with the pet compartment in the front and cargo area toward the rear? :wink:

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
laen, In order to get the care I would want for my 2 pets at a reputable kennel I would be looking at more than what our hotel costs wll be on the road.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Diavalos... My dogs dont weigh much, my concern is no matter if the cargo is all in the front or rear it wont be distributed evenly. I was hoping there may be some wags owners who might chime in.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Joseph,

I have been pulling a Wags for almost two years with our 18lb Boston Terrier in tow. With our pet in the rear and a full load of cargo including a tongue mounted cooler, the tongue weight is 45lbs. By shifting the cargo to the rear compartment over the trailer wheels and our pet in the front, the tongue weight can be adjusted to 10-15% of the gross trailer weight.

Our Wags pulls as well as our 2002 color matched Escapade Elite which has been in storage since the Wags purchase.

I recommend that you contact Jeff or Carol at [email protected] for any questions or concerns. I'm sure they will give you referrals if you would like to contact other Wags owners. :wink:

Feel free to contact me by email or PM if you want more information.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diavalos. Thank you, info is greatly appreciated. I know I will have more questions. Ill send you a note after the holidays.

Merry Christmas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts