GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After failing to "nurse" back into service a ailing TomTom Rider GPS - I bought a Zumo 550 & installed it today. I liked the TomTom (when it worked..... support from TomTom was non-existant).......

I mated/bluetoothed the Zumo to my phone w/o any problem..... I called myself from another phone & saw the Caller ID display the incoming call....

What I did NOT see on the Zumo was the indication my headset/intercom was mated....

My 2 Q's : #1 - what steps are necessary to mate zumo to the wing headset/intercom system &

#2 - do I REALLY WANT to mate the zumo to my headset/intercom ??? By that, I mean, can you talk "on the fly" & is the conversation clear ????

(I have a blue ant telephone thingie on/in my helmet that's mated to my Motorola Razr phone & I use that to talk on the fly - all the time, completely hands-free). In my line of work, I'm "on-call" 24-7-365 & have been since '73 - so, don't tell me I don't need to be able to communicate -or- save it for when I get off the road...... Whether I'm driving -or- piloting something, I'm required to "stay in touch."

I carry 2 phones w/me - the Razr & another newer, smartphone. My thought is to mate the smartphone w/the wing, while my Razr stays mated, via the blue ant.

In a nutshell - any Zumo 550 users - if you use your phone to talk thru your wing intercom system - how'd ya do it ?

TIA / Dave - Missoureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Registered
229 Posts
There is a "Add Headset" option in the bluetooth menu. It goes thru the same steps as you would to sync a headset to your phone.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DUH ! Figures it'd be that simple ! THANKS !

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Knew it sounded too easy...... nothing's easy for me !

I'm on the bike; key ON ACC; Zumo ON; Phone ON.

On the Zumo I select the wrench symbol to go to the "sync" menu. I select "Add" that's opposite "Connect Headset"

The next screen I see advises to: Please set your Bluetooth Device to Find Me/Discoverable mode. My options there are to Cancel -or- OK

When I select OK, the next screen "Bluetooth Headset Audio" gives me 2 options: Navigation; MP3, Phone -or- Phone Only

1st time I selected "Phone Only" - which is what I want...... I only want to bluetooth my phone to my headset........ The Zumo works for a few seconds & then displays a screen "No Device Found" ?????

2nd time I select: Navigation; MP3; Phone....... The Zumo again works for a few seconds & then displays the same screen "No Device Found"

I browsed the Zumo Manual, ditto for my wing manual...... I don't see anything to guide me along.

I know -or- at least think I'm close to synching my headset to the phone....... Can someone bail me out here ????

Dave

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I think you also have to have your phone into a "discover me" mode . . .

·
Registered
229 Posts
Same problem. My headset will not sync. My new LG phone does the same thing. Will occasionally sync then immediately disconnect. Nothing on the Garmin site's FAQ's

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Knight-Rider...... your message came thru while I was sitting astride my bike in the garage - listening to fireworks going off all around me.

Before I read your reply, I removed my phone synch that I'd previously did & started from scratch - 1st re-synching the phone.... while the phone was still in "discovery" mode & "bluetooth" mode, I selected the "add headset"...... the zumo & phone both grumbled some & then eventually got a message advising the headset synching "failed" I repeated the same steps a couple times - ditto for the "failure" message.

I'm good -or- at least better off than I was previously as my Zumo screen "announces a incoming call & shows caller ID" If I can't get the headset/intercom synch to work, at least I have a visual cue as to a incoming phone call. I can then either ignore it -or- find a place to pull off & return the call...

Dave

·
Registered
229 Posts
wondering if you ever managed to sync your Zumo and phone. I rode to Knoxville last Sunday. At one of my stops I removed the sync to my Ford automobile Sync system. Would you believe that the phone connected to the Zumo and the Zumo to my headset automatically after that all week. I guess my phone had a problem with the additional connection.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My phone is fairly new (to me). The only thing I've synched it to thus far is a earbud. I'll try un-synching it to the earbud & see if that helps..... The earbuds' always OFF when I've tried previously w/my wing.....

I emailed Garmin support several days ago - before - I posted here to this forum. I rec'd a auto reply advising they answer all support emails within 1 -or- 2 biz days...... yeah, right !

thanks for your input & suggestion..... I'll try that !

Dave

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have nothing plugged in -or- connected - so, you might be on to something..... I went by the Zumo manual & my Wing manual.

Since mine is pre-12 ('09) - my wing is obviously not "bluetoothed." Had Garmin svc/tech support emailed me back several days ago I might have learned this that way. Thanks for your input. I'm at work - my wing is resting in my garage at home - so, will try & make some time sometime Monday to make some sense out of your email & link.

Thanks - Dave

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
edset order out.... thanks for the tip...... I've pulled the 4 pins before to partially remove the left storage pocket to gain access to something I was doing..... I've never removed that box completely out.....

Any tricks to completely removing that black plastic storage bin all the way so I can access the connectors ??????

Dave

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
edset order out.... thanks for the tip...... I've pulled the 4 pins before to partially remove the left storage pocket to gain access to something I was doing..... I've never removed that box completely out.....

Any tricks to completely removing that black plastic storage bin all the way so I can access the connectors ??????

Dave
Once you have all four pins out, all you have to do is lift the pocket out, lid and all... Disconnect any wires and route them back through the hole in the pocket as needed. (You may not have any) There maybe a AUX connector for an MP3 headphone style connector and/or a cigarette lighter style 12v outlet if it has been added.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks again....... 2-3 hrs after I ordered I've already gotten notice it's been shipped ! holy moly !

never did hear from Zumo/Garmin re: my original tech support email/query....

105 on my truck temp thingie driving home while ago... that's hot enuf - especially with the humidity & dew point in the 70's

For any pilots eyeballing this our MSL is 965' Density alt. being reported now is just shy of 4000' Glad I'm staying on terra firma today.....

Dave - Missoureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
to PShivers....... I have the cig ltr plug & MP3 male plug jack in the pocket....

I'll find out soon enuf, as I expect the edset here anyday - but...... when this is installed - can both rider & passenger hear/talk on phone calls -or- is there something in the wing wiring that limits usage to the person connected to the front intercom cord ?????

I've had a similar setup in my plane in a combo AM/FM/CD player w/digital recorder w/my phone patched in..... that limited "participation" to the pilot only, unless a inline switch was thrown opening up the circuit to a max of 4 headsets.....

Anxious for this gizmo to get here; get installed & then get a chance to field test it on a end of the month special PGR/HOTH "Honor Tour" mission coming up in Wisconsin.

TIA - Dave

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I'll find out soon enuf, as I expect the edset here anyday - but...... when this is installed - can both rider & passenger hear/talk on phone calls -or- is there something in the wing wiring that limits usage to the person connected to the front intercom cord ?????
The EdSets device plugs into the Intercom/CB circuit, it will act as just another connected input device to the system, Both Rider and Passenger will be able to talk and listen on the cell phone.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I installed them last nite -or- attempted to. Not too bad a process - the plug wasn't anywhere close to being where the manual/directions advises, but, traced the intercom cable & found the sucker waaaaaaaay down low, wiretied to the frame, under the headlight panel - no way visible once the storage pocket was removed.... Sucker was absolutely as far away as my fingers could reach !

I installed it; attempted to "mate" the phone & never got past 1st base...... I am "in the circuit" as when I pwr up the Zumo I immediately hear a interference noise, almost like a little fan running. Not loud - but, a nuisance in your headset.

I spent nearly an hr trying to mate the phone (Motorola 3-G Blur) & quit when it started getting dark.

My edset came w/a ground wire - I grounded that to a ground cable already in use grounding another gizmo.

I will try a little more & if I don't succeed will ask for help. We're covered up at work & it will more than likely be several days before I even see my bike again - much less get a chance to work on it...

Dave / Sunny'n'hot Missourahhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shoot..... it's MONDAY here in paradise......

I said I have a Motorola 3-G "Blur"...... what I have - for any geeks that previously scratched their heads is a Motorola 3-G "Bravo" (Blur is the media pkg from Motorola.)

shoot......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts