GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Happy Goldwinger :D
While on possible our final ride of the season in northwest Pa our friend's (Jeff and Sue Arnold ) 1988 Goldwing turned 200,000 miles. This had been a goal Jeff was determined to accomplish this year and definitely a picture perfect moment for all of us.
This bike has been in GWRRA Chapter Q of Warren Pa since new giving many smiles to three owners. Jeff plans to have a story in wingworld magazine in the near future.
Thanks
Ernie,Deb, Tom, Jeff and Sue
Click to see pic's
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/ridered1325/jeffsride/200000miles_001_001.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/ridered1325/jeffsride/jeffmileageride015.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/ridered1325/jeffsride/jeffmileageride020.jpg

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just goes to show changing the crush washer leads to a long life..... Wonder if his bike has a wobble...

Congrats on the 200K... Wonder if it will make 300,000

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is posts like this that have me looking at buying a GW. Congrats on the 200k, and heres to many more miles and smiles!

Longsnowsm

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
OK - get the break-in oil out, and go for a ride..... :lol:

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Way kewl,, mine will never see it, not without every piece of the bike being replaced at least twice. However maybe the next one will be up to that standard.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Congrats on the milestone and what appears to be a well maintained bike.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
always nice to see folks getting plenty of enjoyment from thier wings, congratulations !

my first wing was a 1992 1500, put 126,000 on it and enjoyed every smile

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting this Ernie. Dad is so excited that he managed to hit this mark this year. I wish we could have gone riding with you guys that day! Darn work anyways! LOL

Jami & Doug

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a GL1500 with 38,000 miles and placed it for sale.

Many people stated it just had to many miles on it. LOL

The guy that bought it sure wasn't afraid of it and neither was I.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
nuts4wings said:
Another Happy Goldwinger :D
While on possible our final ride of the season in northwest Pa our friend's (Jeff and Sue Arnold ) 1988 Goldwing turned 200,000 miles. This had been a goal Jeff was determined to accomplish this year and definitely a picture perfect moment for all of us.
This bike has been in GWRRA Chapter Q of Warren Pa since new giving many smiles to three owners. Jeff plans to have a story in wingworld magazine in the near future.
We did a piece a couple of years ago on a 1500 that had 400,000 miles on it and was still in the hands of the original owner. Congrats to Jeff, and I look forward to seeing his submission. But 200,000 on an 18 year old Wing isn't that big a story, especially since he's the third owner. Tell him to put some human-interest material in there.

Stu

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I hit a deer a couple of weeks ago on my 04 that had 113,000 on it and got my 93 Wing out to ride while it was being repaired.

My 93 Wing turned 255,000 a couple days ago. I bought it new in 1992, November. the valve covers have never been off. It has had a clutch, wheel drive spline, and alternator brushes.

I totaled my 01 at 90,286 miles. I had a 91 Wing that was Gold and bored me. I only put 27,000 on it. 15,000 more miles and I will have had a half million on six cylinder Wings. That is about 5 months.

I sold my four Beemers that I bought new. a 63 model had 104,000 on it and a 74 model had 170,000 on it. The others were 17,000 and 28,000.

Before that I had two Triumphs and two Square Fours, the last one of which I put 89,000 on. Remarkable for a British bike. Overhauled often, though.

have not heard from Dick Meyer for a while but would guess he may be close to 200,000 on his 01.

Sheila was her this morning and had 79,000 since March. She has 133,000 on an 04 newer than mine. All of my miles are pulling a trailer and most of hers are. I started pullin a trailer in 1957. My 04 Tailwind has 86,000 miles on it. Started pulling it at 28,000 on the 04. Pulled it 1,500 miles in the last few days with the 93.

Congratulations to Jeff for sticking with it. You have a long time in front of you to do a lot more.

Stu, what had the fellow with 400,000 done to his 1500 so far? My 93 still looks new and goes 8,000 miles without adding oil between changes. So does my 04.

Just got it back tonight after an encoutner with Bambi.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Tom

Dick Meyer has a over 280k on his, I talked with him on the internet a week or so ago.

I will see 300k on mine if I live a while longer :lol:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Tom Finch said:
Stu, what had the fellow with 400,000 done to his 1500 so far?
He claimed he'd done nothing other than scheduled maintenance and replacement of consumables. This was really funny, Tom. The guy sent us pics of his bike and the odometer just to brag on his Wing's reliability - no other reason. But after we ran the piece, my phone rang off the hook from guys wanting to know what oil he used. So I asked him, and the answer didn't go down well with the specialty oil crowd. He'd used nothing but Fleet & Farm branded 15W40 diesel oil since new - changed it every 3,000 miles.

Stu

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Tom,
Wonder if Dick is riding his FJR much.

Stu, I would think that would be good oil to use, especially changing it that often. My 93 has only had Mobil One in it, changed every 8,000 miles mostly but as long as 12,000 on trips.

There are more gears in the engine of this 1800, than lawyers in the Capital. I am not sure what is the best oil in that engine. I am using Amsoil in the 1800 but Mobil one motorcycle oil may be as good or better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts