GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am playing with a Pirelli now.:excited: I love comparing tires . First thoughts 32psi it rides slightly rougher than Kumho. Sticks the same on dry pavement. I believe this tire must be a smidge heavier than Kumho as it feels slightly so coming out of hardcore corners. It also wonders more in uneven pavement than Kumho. It does corner better , I mean I can keep a better line with it than Kumho . Now I want to play with pressure tommorrow by lowering it 2-4 psi and see if wonders more or less and if it gest smoother. Will keep ya updated as I play. Well for a week or 2 than Dunnie wintersport goes on for Texas trip. Got a wore Kumho to replace thinking Michelin Alpine next. But really should mount up new Falken for mountain trip next year. Ah some many tires so little time ;)

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Rail. Anxious to see the final verdict.
I can't believe you and Murgie have not swapped tires yourselves to try this. This is why I am so excited because of you 2 both love your choices and you ride basically the same on the same roads . I personally know riders who love both and who hate both. Now I must know which one of you should switch:lol: I will not charge ya for this service. :thumbup: question for the both of you who gets better milage out of their choice you or Murgie ?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
my biggest complaint with the Pirelli is that "wandering".

...but it seems to get less about the the time the tire is half worn out..(call it broken in)

....if you are still playing with tire pressures after you get 4-6 thousand miles on it,
it will be hard to know if it's the tire pressure or the tire being broken in that is making it feel better.

Dennis

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I can't believe you and Murgie have not swapped tires yourselves to try this. This is why I am so excited because of you 2 both love your choices and you ride basically the same on the same roads . I personally know riders who love both and who hate both. Now I must know which one of you should switch:lol: I will not charge ya for this service. :thumbup: question for the both of you who gets better milage out of their choice you or Murgie ?

You might find this hard to believe, but we get almost the exact miles on our tires and when we fill up at the pumps, we are usually within 2/10ths of one another on gas; playing in the mountains yields approx. 32mpg.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Tire mileage, I get between 8 - 10,000 miles out of the Pirelli's. This year all 3 of my Pirelli's were getting 8,000. I played more this year in the mountains than last year.
Sounds about right. This year I am getting more mileage than that but have done several thousand slab miles.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

...but it seems to get less about the the time the tire is half worn out..(call it broken in)

....if you are still playing with tire pressures after you get 4-6 thousand miles on it,
it will be hard to know if it's the tire pressure or the tire being broken in that is making it feel better.

Dennis

I don't have anything to compare my pirelli to other than a MT but I find the same thing about "wandering". When the tire was almost new, I rolled up to Americade for a week with a loaded trailer and my wife and ran into about 5 miles of some newly grooved pavement in PA about to be repaired. The grooves were DEEP and curvy and I really had a to do a pucker check when the rear end started dancing back and forth about (what felt like) 12 inches and swinging the trailer. I am sure I wasn't in any danger but it it did scare my wife a bit. I have since had it happen a couple of other times on grated bridges. Seems to be better now that I have some miles on it. (about 3000) I run it at 34lbs.

It is off the bike right now because I just spent the last month at our camper in Maggie Valley and put my Cobra back on to play in the mountains. I still prefer my cobras for that kind of riding.

Anyway, there is definitely something to the Pirelli wandering over grooves...........

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Hello fellas, "Sunny" boy here.:lol::lol::lol: Thanks for the info!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Run the DOG SNOT out of it rail.:thumbup::twisted:

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Richard / Murgie thanks for reply! Interesting also very interesting. I played with pressure today. 32 is where it stays !! Followed a MT wing today at a good clip so really hammer coming out of corners as ne cleared the path for me from turkeys, bald eagle, and gave me signs of trouble ahead. Scalloped edges rather nicely on Pirrelli :thumbup: On way home I took some known roads and lit the fire and was right on the edge of my skill set. Pirelli ain't scared of nothing. Came into one corner way,way too hot i rode white line all the way around , breathed a little than thought man that handled great as I walked a fine line around there . One twitch and it would have been into stones and looking for good excuse to try to explain to wife :eek:4: Handling gets an A ++ today's grade. Wife rode with me after I got home and she commented it was smooth as Kumho when new. I do not agree(I feel its close ,but rougher a bit ) but I think she would be a better judge as a passenger over rear tire.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Wow Rail, sounds like you flogged the heck out of that Pirelli. Glad you liked it. Murgie hits it pretty hard on the Pirelli and he doesn't seem to have any complaints.:thumbup: It is a great tire.

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I will be couroius to find out if this happens also . Murgie thoughts ?? You notice this ? Does it feel better as it wears a bit? Do not get me wrong its just a bit more than other tires but noticeable more . federal junk I ran was way ,way worse that tire almost steered itself :nojoke:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Any CT will take everything you can throw at it and say, "Is that all you got?".:yes1:

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Any CT will take everything you can throw at it and say, "Is that all you got?".:yes1:
Alomst any that Federal was not right by any means ;) but I hear ya Paul :thumbup: they are all pretty close indeed with small differences . So why do I keep trying different ones? Probally just to see for myself. Or just bored ;)

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rail, you pegged that Pirelli correctly. A few more weekends of flogging that tire and the wandering feeling will go away. It is at it's peak when it gets about 2500 miles on it. :thumbup:
That's weird,, but I now do remember this conversation roughly when I first started . I can't wait maybe I will run it down to Texas :shrug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts