GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 10 days ago on another post, I'd mentioned that my Honda parts guy had said something about getting a 200-mph speeding ticket. I said WHAT WHERE YOU RIDING ??? He said "a Busa." I said did you tell the cop yours could go faster. He replied "I did, and mine could have gone faster because I had the restrictor plate removed." Then he said that the cop was not impressed.

So that was the end of that until I got home and told my gf about it when she asked "why did he pull over." Witched turned into a discussion about "I thought that's a felony and they can immediately impound the bike ???"

So here is the rest of the story. It occurred in 2005 on the Causeway which is one of 4 bridges that crosses TampaBay. Apparently there is a 3mile westbound desirable stretch for such stuff. Anyway, John had made an eastbound pass looking for cops. It was 3:00am, all looked good, no cars at all, except for that one traveling west all by itself. But apparently when he did his u-turn to head west at 200-mph, he hadn't spotted that "that one" was taking position ... it was an unmarked Trooper who had just pulled over and was setting up his radar. As he passed the lights came on. John, being experience at such stuff, knew that most will flick their lights and immediately cancel the pursuit. But not this time. He also knew that his Busa was faster than the choppers. In either case, he pulled over and received several tickets. The worst of which was a reckless driving ticket.

So he goes to court, and his case is called by the judge but the Trooper had not showed up. However, the Trooper's Sargent was there who got the brunt of one pissed off judge who wanted to throw the book at John, knew that he couldn't, so he took it all out on the Sargent. Not only was the judge infuriated with the missing Trooper but also because the ticket was not written as a felony. After 10 hours, John walked out of the court room as if nothing ever happed :)

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Google says the fastest speeding ticket issued in the USA is 242mph.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Of all the tickets I have ever gotten, I have never gotten a break. I've been polite, compliant and apologetic. All tickets have been for little stuff, i.e. 10 over. Maybe next time I should just get off the bike and take up an assault stance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hopefully he learned that 200 MPH is just a little too fast to be riding a bike safely.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Perhaps this story was valid in 2005, however a few items are questionable: ( I am not an officer or a lawyer so anyone wanting to correct this go ahead).

1. Court dates are set so that an officer will attend court about once a month and handle all the tickets he/she has issued that are being disputed. It is unlikely you are the only one with a ticket from that officer and it is highly unlikely they don't show up for a scheduled court date. If the officer has a valid excuse (sickness etc) then the court date is simply rescheduled to the officers next court date.

2. Prior to the court being in session the Sargent meets with court clerk and informs then Trooper X is absent today due to "illness" and the clerk informs the judge. No drama. If the judge wanted to "throw the book at John" all the judge had to do is reschedule the court date.

3. Judges go through this scenario every week so unlikely to become "pissed off" about a traffic violation.

4. The ticket could not be written as a felony since no bodily injury (unless more than 3 reckless driving violations.) In any case that is not the judges option.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Things are different in every state and country. No telling how it would play out depending on where it occurred.
Things might be exactly as you describe where you live, not so much where I live.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
There are very few Courts in the world that accept " hearsay evidence ".
Without the Officer attending and giving his evidence there is no evidence that the Prosecutor could present to the Court.
The Judge was quite right to dismiss the charge for lack of any evidence whatsoever.

I guess it would have proceed where Machete Justice prevails.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Of all the tickets I have ever gotten, I have never gotten a break. I've been polite, compliant and apologetic. All tickets have been for little stuff, i.e. 10 over. Maybe next time I should just get off the bike and take up an assault stance.
How many have added points to your record? I got stopped once for doing 79 in a 65. Deputy wrote it for 69 in a 65. Small fine, but no points. Yes, he gave me a BIG break. 4 points would have haunted my insurance rates for several years. The $175 fine wouldn't have bothered me as much as the 4 points.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Perhaps this story was valid in 2005, however a few items are questionable: ( I am not an officer or a lawyer so anyone wanting to correct this go ahead).

1. Court dates are set so that an officer will attend court about once a month and handle all the tickets he/she has issued that are being disputed. It is unlikely you are the only one with a ticket from that officer and it is highly unlikely they don't show up for a scheduled court date. If the officer has a valid excuse (sickness etc) then the court date is simply rescheduled to the officers next court date. In some jurisdictions traffic tickets can be read by an officer who was not the issuing officer.

2. Prior to the court being in session the Sargent meets with court clerk and informs then Trooper X is absent today due to "illness" and the clerk informs the judge. No drama. If the judge wanted to "throw the book at John" all the judge had to do is reschedule the court date.

3. Judges go through this scenario every week so unlikely to become "pissed off" about a traffic violation.

4. The ticket could not be written as a felony since no bodily injury (unless more than 3 reckless driving violations.) In any case that is not the judges option.
I had a similar experience in San Francisco in the early 70s. A motor cop ticketed me for speeding--40 in a 30--on a street near Twin Peaks. I appeared in court, the judge asked how I wanted to plead, and I said not guilty. The deputy city attorney said, "Your honor, the officer could not appear today." The judge asked if I had anything to say, and I said, "No sir." He said, "Smart boy. Case dismissed."

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Perhaps I'm better at being nice. 😇 Never have paid for a traffic ticket, two warnings issued while the rest verbal. This includes:

• USMC MPs at 29 Palms, I was driving my parents home (they had a couple beers), MPs said I was doing 53 in a 45, I was just nice (I think their speedometer said 53 as the approached my bumper)
  • CHP on a freeway offramp, not speeding but making a aggressive maneuver (I was in an unfamiliar situation and realized that I needed to go South instead of North a the last minute on a surface street
  • San Bernardino Sheriff, pulled me over around midnight after I went through Condor Curves over the speed limit, this was in full view of the MPs at the 29 Palms MCB main gate but in a strange twist of fate the Sheriff knew my dad, plus I was sober and nice
  • Texas Highway Patrol, doing 60 something in a 55 zone that is now a 70 mph zone (warning ticket)
  • USAF SPs in Panama said I didn't come to a complete stop (although I see them not stop all the time, I intentionally didn't stop since I had a stickshift and it was on a hill)
  • New Jersey State Police near McGuire AFB, I pulled into a left turn lane and then moved right again, it was about 2:00 AM and I was a designated driver but it was someone else car who was in the back (warning ticket)
Actually I haven't even been pulled over in 20 years now, just another old guy on a Goldwing. I always try to be the second most interesting thing on the road.

Anyone else so lucky as to get pulled over six times and no ticket?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I had an 05 Busa (the ones restricted to 186mph). Probably one of the best engineered bikes I have ever owned. I bought it with the intent to top it out, even bought the "speed hump" Hayabusa jacket that helps turn the rider into part of the bikes aerodynamics. There is a LONG strait road just over Wilkerson Pass, heading toward Harstel Colorado....you can see any oncoming traffic for miles, and no good place for an officer to park. I got there early (7:30am) sun not yet over the mountains at my back. I hit 150 in NO time....bike was glass smooth, and created a calm air pocked for the rider. Scared the crap out of me how fast it got there. I decided to be rational and backed off, and just enjoyed the rest of the day riding the mountain passes. I got 57 mpg on that ride too. Sold it a few weeks later.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've received one ticket while riding. I'd bought a new 1989 GL1500 and shortly after had a CB installed. I was head southbound on i5 towards northern California to pick up my custom-ordered new Bushtec. I'd guess I was in the Centralia, WA area. It was mid afternoon, a beautiful day and the weather was blue skies and sunshine.

I was on CH-19 listening to all the CB chatter, and trying to adjust to the CB lingo. The truckers where making sure everyone knew about a speed trap that I thought was about 5-miles ahead. There with a bear-in-the-air clocking everyone from above. I was well aware of the upcoming speed trap, but didn't understand the mile marker warnings being express. I think I got a 87 in a 65.

The fastest I've ever rode on my Wings was maybe 110 and that was plenty fast for me. Over the years I've really slowed down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts