GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving out of Pensacola may 14th. East to jacksonville then north. Altogether 7 states. Anyone wants to join let me know. So far there are two guys that have already done the 1000 mile and me.

I will post the whole route in the next two weeks. Total mileage is 2108 I beleive.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Are you talking about the SS2000, 2k in 48 hours?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
This sounds dumb and dangerous! Why???? Because you "think" you can?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
wingman57 said:
Wingman, or should I call you Mr. Hijacker, do you have reading comprehension problems? The post originator asked if anyone wanted to join him on a ride and not for anyone else's opinions on how he intended to do it. I suggest that if you want to discuss the aspects on ironbutt rides, perhaps you ought to start your own thread. :x

·
Registered
552 Posts
wingman57 said:
Another one for the winger hall of fame...

The guy wants to go for a little ride and some dumb ass winger thinks it's "too dangerous" because it isn't a dinner ride, or a 5 mile ride to the DQ for a bananna split :roll:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
TO WINGMAN

mind your own business,dont be a pain in the a$%,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
For those like wingman57, that kind of riding would be dumb and dangerous as they typically don't have the skill, experience, ability, or discipline to ride under those conditions.

Unfortunately, they also assume no other riders have those traits either.

So, thank him for his concern then have a great ride!!!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
It could be "dumb and dangerous" for some "Goldwing Owners" but to a few of us "Goldwing Riders" it's fun and easy. :D

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
lonr rides

i have done many 1000 to 1300 mile days and have enjoyed them all.i have no problem with them and i stop when i become drowsy,some of us are just in better physical shape then others,whats safe for us may not be for another,but dont bash us for our goodD condition.OLE YELLER MBG PA.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Some folks are just not tough enough to do an "Iron Butt" .. they should just ride to the local Dairy Queen and then go home.. and brag about their accomplishments...

cosmic

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
RIDE DISTANCE

and short rides are ok also,we should all ride to our abilitys and do as we desire,just dont bash others for there riding style,THATS JUST WRONG !!!! :twisted: OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
682 Posts
iridealot,

Thanks for the offer, but I am one of those who could not physically handle that milage yet. Last year the longest ride we took was about 300 miles. I do agree with some of the above posters, you do have to be in the right type of condition to be able to ride longer rides. I have been motivated this winter to go to the YMCA 3x per week because this riding season I want to be in better conditon. I am sure I will be safer if I am physically stronger and have better stamina, etc....

And like DT said, there is "skill, experience, ability, and discipline" involved. You guys inspire me to keep at this fitness thing so those long cross country rides, camping, sight seeing trips etc... become possible for us. You are my heros, keep up the good work.

Bill in da U.P.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
It is really amazing -- you can tell that the winter weather is kicking in across the country. Folks seem to be getting short-tempered in many posts: Negative responses to negative responses to negative responses to various posts (negative and positive).

PMS for sure!!!!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
in shape

my wife purchased a treadmill 5 years ago,i thought she was nuts,then i started walking on it,now i jog on the dang thing a full hour at least 5 days a week,its the best thing i have ever done for myself,i feel great after my run and really miss it on the days i cannot find the time,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
939 Posts
wingman57 said:
Sounds like a good time. I have done a saddlesore 1000, bun burner and a bun burner gold. Each time I left with the attitude that if it ain't working, fatigue or whatever, just call it off and do it another day. With proper rest before leaving, quick energy snacks to eat, plenty to drink it shouldn't be a problem. Just don't be afraid to say "hay guys, it ain't working out for me today." Then call it off and let them go on. There is always next time.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
iridealot said:
Leaving out of Pensacola may 14th. East to jacksonville then north. Altogether 7 states. Anyone wants to join let me know. So far there are two guys that have already done the 1000 mile and me.
Back to the original post...

I won't be able to ride the entire thing with you but if you want someone to join you for a while around DC, I can. More likely, if you need a witness or any mechanical services, let me know. I can try to coordinate with the local shop that is just a couple of miles from the freeway.

Do you have a planned route or timetable?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Iridealot, let me be the first to congradulate you and the others on both the attempt and accomplishment (when you guys finish) of fullfilling a goal that you have set for yourselves.

Ride Smart, Ride Safe, Ride Often!

KCButch

·
Registered
261 Posts
Time for a dumb question.

When you do a 2000 mile run in 48 hours how do you calculate the time you ride vs the time you rest/nap/sleep? I suspect there isn't a set rule but I'd like to know the thought process. I am sure that if you're really tired you stop. I made it from DC to NH in about 10 hours thank God for capuccino's.

FF

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
What is the whole route? Are you coming down I-65 to finish?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts