GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2001 1800 late this summer. It has ~13000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from told me not to fill the tank too full or I would have problems. Unfortunately he was right. When I fill the tank anywhere near the neck (and I'm careful not to fil it any higher) the engine cuts out off and on til I go about 20 miles, then it lines out and runs just fine. While it is cutting out, I can accelerate like crazy and it doesn't miss a beat, but as soon as I back off to cruise it starts cutting out again. One person told me to tighten the cap til it clicks... I do that. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do about it?

·
Registered
979 Posts
OldSid said:
I purchased a used 2001 1800 late this summer. It has ~13000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from told me not to fill the tank too full or I would have problems. Unfortunately he was right. When I fill the tank anywhere near the neck (and I'm careful not to fil it any higher) the engine cuts out off and on til I go about 20 miles, then it lines out and runs just fine. While it is cutting out, I can accelerate like crazy and it doesn't miss a beat, but as soon as I back off to cruise it starts cutting out again. One person told me to tighten the cap til it clicks... I do that. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do about it?
:? Have you checked the emissions drain on the left side behind the chrome side cover to see if its full, they need to be drained every once in a while, just an idea my 1500 did that same thing before I knew about the drain it fills up with water and gets sucked up into the engine, another thing to check is the air filter for blockage caused by any little critters building a nest in there blocking air flow into the engine,had that happen once also. Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
300 Posts
cuts out

it would seem to me that there is something wrong with the evap purge control soleniod or the evap canister.. if one weere to make a habit of filling the tank to high{when the gas gets to the bottom of the filler neck and one were to fill it then wait till the level went down and continued to repeat this often}this would consequently fill the evap canister with gas and/or the purge valve so that raw gas would enter the throttle body instead of gas vapors like its ment to be doing....i have seen conditions where cage owners would constantly fill past the time when the automatic shut off of the gas pump kicks in, they repeatedly fill past the first few kick off's of the pump handle .in turn that would fill the canister with gas that would often dry up and plug the canister with varnish...if you would like ,send me your email address and i will email you the schematic of the evap system from the service manual.. [email protected] :lol: :eek: :D

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
A note on the Evap Can:
(this may or may not relate to the above problem)

The Purge Valve opens at 24 MPH +-1.
It will stay open untill you exceed over 1/4 throttle, drop to or below 23 MPH or when coasting with the throttle closed.

This is on my bike and may be reprisentative of all. However like most information from Honda that knowledge is Proprietary.

What the limits of operation mean to me is that when we are traveling on the CO/KS plains fighting strong head winds all day the Evap Can is filling up without the ability to Purge due to a throttle setting over 1/4.
Travel in the CO Mountains where the throttle setting is over 1/4 going up the hills and going down with the throttle closed in coasting mode.

By watching the condition of the Purge Valve via a simple LED on my dash I can minimize the Closed Evap Valve time and keep the Evap Can from Saturating which results in a Vapor filled garage which includes some dripping fuel from the "Drain" port on the bottom of the Can.

At no time with the Evap Can Saturated have I had the bike run pooly either at speed, low speed or coast mode. We just get the Fuel Vapor and Drip if it is allowed to operate outside of the narrow Purge Range.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
OldSid said:
When I fill the tank anywhere near the neck
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'neck'... but I want to make sure you know that you fill the tank to the bottom of the tube you see inside the tank. If you fill it higher than that you WILL have problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
When I say "neck" I am referring to the tube you see at the tank opening. I do not fill past the bottom of the tube and I still have the problem. Remember the four clues that I refer to.... #1, the cutting out occurs at any speed.. #2, the bike accelerates fine without missing a beat, but starts cutting out again as soon as I throttle back to cruise... #3, this happens every time I fill the tank ... #4, and after going about 20 miles after refueling, it settles down and runs just fine.

I agree over filling could be a problem as far as the evap canister goes and that could possibly cause rough running or cutting out and could still let the bike accelerate ok. But I don't agree that I am doing anything that should cause the evap canister to fill or be full.

I am still looking for some one person that has ever had the "same" problem and what the cure was if in fact there was one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
cuts out

i am thinking that the problem is from the prievous owners filling habits..i would check the drain that was mentioned by winger11 and see what comes out if anything ..if its not full of water or gas then the soleniod may be stuck open and allowing un metered air into the intake system and causing it to run to lean and stall ...i have the factory manual and can post or mail anything you might need from it ..and i understand your filling procedure and feel it is correct.but the prievous owner may not have followed the same course... :D :D

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Filling up

I've read many posts about overfilling the gas tank. I usually stop the gas at a round figure dollarwise, which means often way up the filler neck/tube. Never had any problems with performance, smell, or other. For what its worth. :blw1:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Gas Fill

:wink: Over filling up to the top of the filler will fill the evap drain tube and in due time the charcoal canister rendering it useless absorbing the fuel vapors, once it takes on a liquid it is basically done. :wink: :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Re: Gas Fill

Winger11 said:
:wink: Over filling up to the top of the filler will fill the evap drain tube and in due time the charcoal canister rendering it useless absorbing the fuel vapors, once it takes on a liquid it is basically done. :wink: :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:
That may have been the case in past instances but believe it or not Honda has placed a "overflow or drain tube" on the charcoal canister. I got a chuckle out of that.

I too have filled mine above the bottom of the filler neck and never had the first problem. The bikes getting liquid in the canister I believe do have a malfunction other than simply overfilling the tank.

Sorry I don't have any useful info for you OldSid. Usually drivability concerns which show up immediatly after refueling can be traced back to fuel contamination, but you have it happen every fillup so that suggestion is no good. ..... Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts