GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CD changer jammed and after taking the cover off I was able to remove my discs. It looked as if it had over-extended itself on one corner. I realigned everything but now it won't let me load any discs. I've had it for 5 years and although it has had some problems, they were solved by turning the unit off and then back on again. This is the first time that it jammed completely.

Is it worth the expense of sending it off for repair or should I get a new unit? I also use an MP3 player but still like my CD changer.

Will the new changers fit my old attatchment unit?

Any idea where to send it and what it might cost?

I know I have lots of questions but am completely in the dark on this one.

Thanks very much for any help you may have to offer. Tom

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Sounds like you like the changer so it would probably be worth it to you. I'm guessing it could be repaired cheaper than the price of a new one - but I'm not sure. I think Sierra Electronics can fix them?

I like my CD changer too. 8)

·
Registered
973 Posts
My changer quit working three times. Twice I was able to take it apart and get it working again. The last time I just gave up. I use an MP3 player now. I too liked my CD changer but it was just getting to be too much hassle to keep it going. My vote is to just forget it and go with your MP3. You will be money and frustration ahead.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If you look at the way the changer works, which you msut have if you took it apart, inspect the trays that hold the disks, see the light lubricant that is on each one, if you replace that with a thicker lube such as lubriplate, the white or tan stuff and do not be stingy with it and try it again, I did this to mine after someone here told me about it and it had never done it again. be very careful not to get it anywhere but on those guides. Good luck, if you so not want to mess with it send it to me i will give you $100.00 bucks for it. Good Luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cd changer

I checked with Sierra Elec. and they don't sell or service these units. After struggling with the unit for awhile I found a small spring that seems to have come off from somewhere inside the unit (mangled of course). It is about 1/8" in diameter and about an inch long. It seems to have something to do with play of the 6th cd. If I only use 5 cd's the player works fine in every way. If I put the 6th cd in, and I go to it, the unit makes a faint repetitive clicking sound and then "mech error" comes up on the screen. I can remove the 6th cd and all is fine again. Guess I could just use the unit as a 5cd changer.

If anyone has an idea where that particular spring goes and where I could get a new spring, I would appreciate it. Guess I'm one of those nit-pickers that likes things to work the way they were meant to. work

I appreciate all the help and advice. Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
787 Posts
Tom,

I'm willing to bet the spring is your problem. You may find a replacement at an electronic repair shop if there are any left in our disposable society. You might also check the spring assortment at a large hardware store.

As far as its placement in the CD player, it probably goes from the rail on the top of the CD stack to the frame on the bottom of the stack. It has been a while since I've had my player opened up, but I seem to recall the same number of springs on each side of the stack.

Without a manual or another CD player for comparrison, it might be impossible to tell for sure where the spring actually belongs. Hopefully it will be obvious to you after careful observation.

Best of luck!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts