GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my wife and I were out cruising, the clutch started slipping. It was a Saturday afternoon, so we just eased on over to the Honda dealer. As it turned out, the clutch regulator and/or some little o-ring in there someplace, failed so it was a warranty item. They replaced the entire clutch and while they were at it, they found a problem with the final drive and fixed it also. Total under warranty was over $2,000. Carl's Cycles in Boise, Idaho treated me great and the bike is back on the road and running strong. I believe clutch failures on any Gold Wing are rare occurrances. These things happen and when they do, it is good to have the warranty and a dealer that knows how to put one of these things together after being torn down extensively.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I like to hear about these great dealer stories......has to be a great peace of mind to know the friendly dealer down the street will be there for you. Also to have all repairs covered under warranty :)

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
stivison - sorry to hear of your problem(s), but great to hear how well you were treated and that Carl's Cycles did such a great job in fixing your initial problem plus discovering and fixing another. It's a good feeling to know you can get taken care of so well out there on the road.

I had a similar experience last year while traveling in Montana on a long trip. It was a Saturday night, the local dealership was closed for the weekend, I was able to track down the owner of the Honda dealership at a nearby gas station and he had his service manager come in on a Sunday morning at 6:00 am and install 2 new tires for me and get me back on my trip. I thought the people of Riverside Marine & Cycle in Miles City, Montana were my new best friends and they sure treated me as such too.

Some great dealers and people out there!

DaleC

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not trying to start anything.....

but did the dealership even once hint that they felt that it might be related to oil failure?
Next question: What type and weight of oil do you use?

Like I said just curious.

Glad to know that they fixed you up and that you are satified!

TIA!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Clutch Problem

It's nice to hear of a new problem. Besides the basic frame welding problems and ECM's. The GL1800 seems to be a pretty dam good motorcycle. I have 20,000 miles on a 2002 and would purchase the same bike again if given the option. I have been recalled for the WELDS and ECMS and sleep good at night because of the great warranty HONDA applies to the GOLDWINGS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
clutch

I had my clutch go at 36000 miles. One of the first things they asked was what kind of oil do you use? They looked in there records and saw that I buy honda oil from them. They installed a new clutch no charge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts