GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys, I purchased an 01 with 22K miles, the bike sat for about 8 years without being on the road very much, most of the switch’s would not work, but I did get them functioning, i Got the cruise on and off working, but the cruise SET/DECEL button was a bugger, but eventually started to work as well, lately tho, I had to push the SET/DECEL several times to get it to engage, and finally it would catch, but now, no matter what I do, it will not work ,
I’ve tried switch cleaner with no luck , looking for ideas , or repairs that I can make.
I do have an old cluster from a friend that was replaced because the starter button was bad, so, I have a used part source if needed.
thanks for all responses

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
The nylon guide may have worn down and no longer catches. The switch needs to be disassembled (watch out for the tiny spring, rcmd using a zip lock bag to take apart in) and all the old grease cleaned out then a nice lubricant with Teflon (skip using grease) used for lubricant. NO WD-40 !

Anyhow, reassemble and try it. As an aside, most folks leave it in the on position. Doesn't hurt anything g and acts as an indication the charging system fuse is good (same circuit).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fred, my brake light from the foot pedal needed to be pressed really hard to get the light to go on, I sprayed both those contact switches, and got them so I could hear them click , also, I’ve watched a how to video to replace those switch’s , looks like getting to the wiring connection is the same place to replace the right hand handlebar switch’s , is there a way to test the brake/cruise cancel switch’s ?
thanks for any help !

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
610 Posts
As Fred said above it sounds as if one of the brake switches or the clutch switch is causing you problem. Also if you have aftermarket levers when trying to set the cruise push out on both levers with your fingers and see if the cruise will engage. I have had this problem on numerous bikes with aftermarket levers.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Just because the brake light comes one does not rule out the brake switches for not letting cruise to set. Both foot and lever are duel switches, one for brake the other for ECM/cruise. The clutch also has two switches, one early and one late switch. The early is for cruise, the other is start in gear. The miles should not have oval pivot bushings on the levers yet; but for sitting, switches are still likely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts