GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted about this before but now I decided to throw it out for discussion again. I know there are plenty of very knowledgeable and experienced folks that frequent this forum.

I have an 01 1800 that has had this intermittent problem for years. Every once in a while, like every 6 months, it would light the FI light and blink one long blink with the side stand down of course. But recently it has been doing it every couple of days.

I'm just throwing this out for discussion because in the past I've removed the shelter, cleaned the contacts on both the baro sensor and the ECU and that would hold for 6 months like I said. I did again just a few weeks ago and now it is pretty persistent. Seems like every other day but certainly the FI light is on more than it is off now.

I guess what I'm asking is has anyone heard of this with the early GL1800's? I think my only recourse is to get a new sensor. My thinking is that the sensor is marginal at best and I've noticed my mileage goes way down if I ride with the FI light. But a new sensor is about $130 and before I spend my money I'd like a second opinion.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,548 Posts
I would first, do the sensor test in the service manual, then if that passes, check the continuity on the individual wires between the ECM and the sensor while moving the harness around to see if there's a possible connection issue. I would also pull it off and check the condition of it's o-ring, if it has turned hard from heat and age it could make the sensor read wrong. If all of that checked good, then I would replace the sensor. There is a remote chance that it's the ECM, but without having a known good one to try, your only option is to change the cheaper part. HDL has it for $90.

http://www.hdlparts.com/ecbasket.as...CLES&sid=05866358X7K31K2011J8I29I59JAMQ2291R0

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks techdude. I have yet to pull the sensor and check for O-rings glad you mentioned it.

I know it sounds crazy but I was thinking for about a year now that it was related to my getting the bike wet. Either washing it or riding in the rain. Let my explain. About a year ago I was on a 3000 mile trip and about 600 miles from home I washed it then it got rained on hard overnight on the last night out. On the way home it came on and rode it in about 30 miles. Then last Sept I took it on another 2000 mile trip and when I got home I washed it and within 1 day it came on again. Now fast forward to this spring. Washed it again and yep the second day it came on. I took the shelter off and cleaned the connectors again. Applied some dielectric grease and it was fine. Then 2 weeks ago we did a 2200 mile trip to the Gulf. On the way home I got caught in 2 rain storms in AL. sure enough the next day the light came on and I rode it in about 120 miles. But, and there is always a "but", I haven't washed it or had it rained on in 2 weeks but the light comes on every day now.

Now I don't power wash and the rain, on all of these occasions I mentioned, I was not riding. I just sat in the Motel and let it rain. When the rain stopped we took off. It may be coincidence but it would get wet and the next day, maybe two days, the light would come on.

Does that ring any bells?

FYI techdude that part number you gave me is the MAP sensor on the Throttle Body. The sensor I'm talking about is on the air cleaner cover and is also called a MAP sensor in the parts fiche (control unit section) but referred to as the BARO sensor in the manual. Of course HDL has the Baro sensor for $103, I couldn't have the cheaper part fail.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,548 Posts
Sorry, I'm getting old these days. You're right, I wasn't paying attention again. There's not alot to that sensor and circuit. Make sure you aren't mixing it up with the IAT sensor that is mounted in the middle of the airbox.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes is it one long blink and that is a 10. Also thanks for the picture techdude. The baro sensor in the picture is the one I'm talking about. I'll pull the shelter sometime this week and take a few measurements to compare to the manual test procedure. If it's close to the edges I will probably just buy a new new one. I have a suspicion that my baro sensor is marginal and probably reads right on the ragged edge of spec.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I for one would appreciate followup after you get the final problem figured out. Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update. I ordered a baro sensor from a breaker on eBay for $15. He shipped it very fast and I had a chance to install and test it today. No FI light and a 30 mile test ride showed no problems. I can't tell if it made a difference in my mileage or performance but it does run good. Of course it always ran good when the FI light was not lighted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts