GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
I found a real mint 2001 goldwing on E-Bay, Is that the first year for the 1800cc ? and were there any issues with this year i should know about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230319057658&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=
There were several possible issues. Get the vin# and have your local dealer check to see if the ecm, frame check and whatever else might have needed done/checked was done. They should be able to do that with no problem. Mine is an 01 and had the overheating problem which was corrected. My frame was ok. The bike in question looks nice. Some one has some answers for you.Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.:beer3:

2,731 Posts
Canyon Dancer is an 01'

Maybe I've been lucky but have 58,000 on my 2001 and have not had any issues with it. The frame check is okay (I check all the other reported spots as well), never overheated but had the ECM changed out anyway, dealer put a new tire on because some came new with poor tire install, kill switch was replaced (recall). This has been a "trouble free" bike for me.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were several possible issues. Get the vin# and have your local dealer check to see if the ecm, frame check and whatever else might have needed done/checked was done. They should be able to do that with no problem. Mine is an 01 and had the overheating problem which was corrected. My frame was ok. The bike in question looks nice. Some one has some answers for you.Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.:beer3:

Thanks for the head's up!!:yes1:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I had the front fork seal blow in the middle of a 300 mile ride. (warranty)

Tachomoter melted (warranty)

Brakes make a buzzing/ chricket sound, dealer says normal, but sound was not there until the front brakes were replaced because of the fork oil. (warranty, but not fixed).

Never has over heated, but would get close. Better since ECM warrarty.

Frame recall, no problems.

Been fine since.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
There was a blue in 2001. It may not have been "Illusion Blue", but there was a blue. If I remember correctly there were 3 colors...Yellow, Illusion Red & Blue.:p
Yes there was..........it was Pearl blue............completely different than the Illusion Blue that came out in 2002, thus my comment. :thumbup:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bought mine the very end of Sept '08 and have no real problems, then again I only put 1000 kms on it before storage. By the way if you have never rode one of these bikes, then your in for a big surprise. The handling, ride, comfort is amazing.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hi all:

Like most others said, the 01's were pretty good. I have an 01 with 80K. Fork seals done twice under warranty then I disabled the anti dive and no issues since. The rear tire was replaced due to a bad batch but that would not be an issue now since the bike you are looking at has 19K. I did ECM but never had the overheat issues. Trunk release was done under warranty, tighten hose clamps and other coolant leaks done under warranty. But.. this is a short list, the bike has never let me down. I'd buy another. One caveat...I hate Honda and probably would not buy another one of their products since their warranty is always a battle. Still battling over steering head bearings and a bad radio. I've found this to be true with Acura as well so no it's not the dealer.

I did just buy its ultimate replacement and it is an FJR.

i looked at the listing and the blue is the Pearl Blue, same as mine. If interested and you buy it, I will have an Arai SZ/M in large with Chatterbox Headset installed for sale. Helmet in very good shape.

Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Seems like one heck of a deal to me.

Someone can get into the 1800 world on the cheap!
Yeah, if you could get it for the current bid...notice the "reserve not met" tag though. I'm sure the reserve is probably set at $10 or 11K. If the reserve isn't met, they don't have to sell. I personally hate the hidden reserve. It makes it a moot point to continue bidding and paying attention when the reserve may be WELL above what you are willing to pay. The only good way to bid on an item like this is to make it an automatic bid up to what you are willing to pay and wait for a "win" or "lose" e-mail.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had an '01 and it was troublefree for over 50K. It did blow a fork seal just before I sold it with 51K. The '01's had the best track record going up to about '05. I used to see all these problems other
years were having, but not so much on the '01's. Go figure.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Maybe I've been lucky but have 58,000 on my 2001 and have not had any issues with it. The frame check is okay (I check all the other reported spots as well), never overheated but had the ECM changed out anyway, dealer put a new tire on because some came new with poor tire install, kill switch was replaced (recall). This has been a "trouble free" bike for me.
+ 1:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts