GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I own a VTX1300 which I have for sale. There is a guy in RI selling a 2001 with 13000 miles for $10500.

I know this was the first year of production for this bike. Is this somthing I should buy. Did the 2001 have problems. I heard from some one that they had over hearting issues.

Help out a fellow honda riders and let me know as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

I bought my 01 used, had 35K on it, now has 56K and had NO problems. Frame was checked but did not need welding. Bike was bought new and serviced by the dealership my son works for and its never had any warranty work done on it. Only thing it does have the dreaded alternator whine that comes and goes, but I just ignore it and ride. I have not heard too many problems with the 01, but some of the later yrs started having frame problems and the 06 seams to be having some transmission problems. I would not be afraid of the 01.
Hope its Illusion Red as that is and will always be the fastest color.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The price very fair for the amount of miles that it has and no dents or marks on the bike. It has the fog light and speaker on the back but that's pretty much it.

If I got the serial number I should be able to call a Honda dealer and ask them or would they give me the run around.

·
Registered
284 Posts
the only time the early year bikes run how is if your traveling at 5~15 mph for extended time. THe cooling fans reverse and blow forward at slow speeds to keep the operator cooler. The newer bikes dont reverse the cooling fans. I am sure there is a really simple fix if it happends , poss just disableing a relay?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
the only time the early year bikes run how is if your traveling at 5~15 mph for extended time. THe cooling fans reverse and blow forward at slow speeds to keep the operator cooler. The newer bikes dont reverse the cooling fans. I am sure there is a really simple fix if it happends , poss just disableing a relay?
I have an '02 and LOVE it. Did the recalls (frame & cooling system), not a big deal.

Sounds like a great deal -- I'd jump all over that before someone else does!

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Buy it :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,243 Posts

the fans on the Gl1800 do not reverse direction at any speed or stopped to my knowledge

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
I tried reading that a few times - sounds to me like it's saying that the 2001 fans blow forward away from the rider and 2002-2009 blow back toward the rider. The fans blow in the same direction: forward, away from the rider. And the only time they come on is when traveling below 25 MPH (or so). As I understand it, earlier models had the fans coming on only below 15 MPH as stated above, and that caused some overheating when in parades on hot days when moving at around 20 MPH. There was a recall to replace the ECM and change that to the current 25 MPH speed. Above 25 MPH they never come on at all.

I've read where a few people have reversed the direction of the fans but it is far from a simple job.

I wouldn't consider any of that a deal breaker though. I'd just make sure the recalls were done on it and if you like it - go for it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't ssee no reason for the fan to travel in the opposite direction. But since it's a DC fan I quess changing the wires would make the fan turn in the opposite direction.

I still have to sell my X. Have some guy caoming tomorrow to look. lets see what happens.
Here is a shot of the X I'm selling

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Right now I own a VTX1300 which I have for sale. There is a guy in RI selling a 2001 with 13000 miles for $10500.

I know this was the first year of production for this bike. Is this somthing I should buy. Did the 2001 have problems. I heard from some one that they had over hearting issues.

Help out a fellow honda riders and let me know as much as possible.

Sounds like a great deal for such low mileage...........
Check the recall history to make sure they were all done and if it looks cosmetically fine I'd go for it.
The 2001 was one of the best years IMHO...........I had mine for 8 years.

btw - the fans on all years of GL1800 (2001 - 2009) operate in the same direction.........blowing air forward.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
My '01 Illusion Red with 146,000 + smiles on the clock has been a fantastic bike. Afraid to get rid of it because it's replacement might not be as good. Go for it. :thumbup:

2,732 Posts
Great bike

The Canyon Dancer is a 2001 and have had no problems with it. Bought it new, have had it checked for all recalls, no issues except the kill switch was replaced under a recall. 2001 is the best year or one of the best years anyway for the Goldwing. I've only got 56,000 on mine and I hope to get up to the 200,000 mark like some of the other 2001 owners have.

The fans running in reverse (blowing forward) has been debated endlessly here on this forum. Honda wanted to keep the rider from getting hot from the radiator heat and at a slow speed the fans keep the hot air away from the rider, a good idea in my opinion. My 2001 has never overheated even tho some of the mountain passes in Colorado surely would have made it an issue if it were to have been a problem on my 2001.

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
It will be easy to check the frame. Fred has a graphic of where to look. As far as the ECM recall goes the dealer puts a small dimple just under the first letter of the serial number that is stamped into the right side of the engine block. Just pull off the right side cover (where you check the oil). The stamped serial number is right in front of the oil dipstick. The serial number probably starts with an SC and there will be a small dimple under the S. The mechanic that did the ECM and temp wire harness recall is supposed to put this dimple there with a center punch to let everyone know that the recall was done.

Walt

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
You would be better off if you went with a 05 and up model. The 01 to 04 models will always be suspect for frame cracks in the frame tubing behind the passenger floor boards. Honda redesigned that area of the frame in the late 04 models to correct the problem.

Honda has so far been standing behind the 01 to 04 model and replacing cracked frames out of warranty..but who knows for how long Honda will continue to do that. I would stay away from those models unless the frame was already replaced with the newer spec'd frame from Honda.

If the frame doesn't look like this, I would pass on that bike.

Here's what the 01 to 04 models look like

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
You would be better off if you went with a 05 and up model. The 01 to 04 models will always be suspect for frame cracks in the frame tubing behind the passenger floor boards. Honda redesigned that area of the frame in the late 04 models to correct the problem.

Honda has so far been standing behind the 01 to 04 model and replacing cracked frames out of warranty..but who knows for how long Honda will continue to do that. I would stay away from those models unless the frame was already replaced with the newer spec'd frame from Honda.

If the frame doesn't look like this, I would pass on that bike.

Here's what the 01 to 04 models look like

yeah but the 01 trannys don't blow up

get the 01 they are the best ones have a dealer run the vin to check on any recall items

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This s ounds just like the VTX forums. How a bout stearing bearing. The X had alot of those problems.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts