GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I remember reading about the speedometer sticking on the 2001's when left in the sun for a while and didn't pay it much heed as I didn't own a wing at that point. Well now that I have the 2001, guess what, it does.

Pretty funny actually I was riding in a 35mph zone and wondered why all the others around me were also doing my indicated 20mph so I thought, "to hell with this funeral procession, I am crancking up to the 35-limit." I wrapped on a handfull and the speedo never moved and then suddenly I recalled the sticking issue and slowed back down with everyone else. <vbg>

I have done some searching but can't find if there ever was a fix for it or is it something I have to live with?

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
There was a re-call on the sticking speedo. Take it to your dealer and he can check to make sure it hasn't been done, and get a new speedo (or face plate) for you. It's a warranty issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Solution to Stickt Speedometer

I had exactly the same problem . .

The solution is a new speedometer . . .better hurry up before the warranty expires !

If you shine a light on the face of the speedometer you will probably see a light "rub mark" where the short end of the pointer is when you are travelling 40 - 60 mph. On mine the pointer was rubbing on the black face of the speedometer . . .

A new unit solved the problem !

John

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mine is an 01' as well. I am not sure if my speedo is sticking or not. It seems to read 85MPH most of the time.

Hmm, I did notice that letting off the throttle seems to remedy the sticky situation.... :lol:

Bulldog

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
the speedometer on my 2001 only stuck once the first year but the second year it got stuck often when the sun was bright on the speedometer. Not sure if it was a recall item but Honda will replace it free under warranty. :yw1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts