GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a F6b, looking at my 1st Trailer, this one is 5 hours from me, owner has had since 2006. Needs lock, locked himself out and broke, and a crack in lower rear of fender, can see in pick. Is asking $1,500. is 12 years old and probably a few other nicks and whatever. Would be 5,000+ in today's world. your thoughts please. Choptop

Attachments

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Overall it's a good price - the age is a minor item, mine is much older and still works like a champ. Any body shop that's used to working with fiberglass (corvettes, etc.) can do a bang-up repair on that fender, and the lock isn't very expensive. Offer less and go get it, if he doesn't want to budge - then you have to decide how much you want a trailer.

But in my opinion it's a good price, and even counting the price of repairing the fender and lock it's still a decent price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate it. I will offer less, he talked like he had to put a lock in it, I can do that. I wish it was closer, It would take me a good 8 hours to get their, a hotel and back, a weekend gone and I wold have to trailer it home. All food for thought.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
First question is, "Do you like that particular style?" Next, I would contact Bushtec and see if the new style lock will work, and if it will, install it. Much better than the older push button locks they used to use. Next, make a couple of enlarged photos of the trailer and take them to a body shop or 2, and ask for a ballpark estimate, with the understanding the price could go up once they see the actual damage, and determine exactly what repair(s) are actually needed. If you plan on painting the entire trailer, no problem. However, if you hope to leave it black, you will have to do something about that God-awful orange. In any event, the pinstriping will have to be touched up, or removed. After you have acquired the needed info, and made a decision or 2, then you will know if it is worth your time and trouble. I suspect w/o the damage, if it is in "normal" condition, it would sell between $2000, and maybe $2500. As to the travel involved to pick it up: You could stay home and do chores and yard work, or, you could go ride your Wing for a couple of days, getting plenty of fresh air along with peace and quiet. Naturally, this is just my $.20 worth. YMMV.

I have 4 Bushtecs for sale as I type this. I have a couple in that price range that only need a good home.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First question is, "Do you like that particular style?" Next, I would contact Bushtec and see if the new style lock will work, and if it will, install it. Much better than the older push button locks they used to use. Next, make a couple of enlarged photos of the trailer and take them to a body shop or 2, and ask for a ballpark estimate, with the understanding the price could go up once they see the actual damage, and determine exactly what repair(s) are actually needed. If you plan on painting the entire trailer, no problem. However, if you hope to leave it black, you will have to do something about that God-awful orange. In any event, the pinstriping will have to be touched up, or removed. After you have acquired the needed info, and made a decision or 2, then you will know if it is worth your time and trouble. I suspect w/o the damage, if it is in "normal" condition, it would sell between $2000, and maybe $2500. As to the travel involved to pick it up: You could stay home and do chores and yard work, or, you could go ride your Wing for a couple of days, getting plenty of fresh air along with peace and quiet. Naturally, this is just my $.20 worth. YMMV.

I have 4 Bushtecs for sale as I type this. I have a couple in that price range that only need a good home.
Yes I like that style and realize that it will need some work to be what I want. I am WAY ahead of myself on the possible purchase of a trailer, I have no trailer hitch, if I did, it would be a great road trip to see it even if I didn't buy it but the weather, rainy and cool, here in Wi, will keep me off the road for a week, but if he still has it in a week...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have the same trailer...same year. Very nice! Rides very well! Most of the time I forget it's back there. I think the price is high for that type of damage. But...as said above...Call Bushtec and tell them what it is and what is wrong with it. They can tell you it the crack is going to be a problem or not. Lock is a small thing unless there is shell damage. Good luck...Be patent and make offers....There are a ton of trailers out there to be had at a good price if you can wait for a deal! Got mine for $800. Low miles...Only some paint chips from an autistic child beating car door into trailer!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
If you can locate a trike installer close by, you can usually get a take off hitch for a good price. I got my Bushtec hitch for $100.00.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I just replaced the lock in my 05 Roadstar with the newer style(need key to lock) Bought it from Bushtec at a rally I think $30.

Great trailer

·
Registered
407 Posts
you might be able to buy a new fender from Bushtec. in the picture it looks like its added on after they pull it out of the main body mold. call them to see:thumbup:

offer the guy $1000

1 - 9 of 9 Posts