GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since a local dealer "reassembled" my bike from doing the frame recall (in 2006), my cruise control has not worked. I have a feeling they forgot to connect it, but am not sure. The dealer did a sloppy job with reassembly. I found I had to go back and reassemble certain areas of the fairing that were loose. Anyway, I hope someone may have run into a problem with their cruise control not working after having the bike serviced or taken apart by a dealer. If you have any suggestions or tips to look at, please advise. If it is necessary for me to remove the housing and check, I am ok with that too. I simply want it to work again and don't want to bring back to the dealer. A note: the cruise worked the day I rode the bike into the dealer. They said they'll look at it, but will have to charge labor for the job because it can't be proven that they were the cause. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Do you have a Shop manual? If so go to the back and start tracing the diagram from one starting point looking for a loose or unconnected connector. You can count on it being in the most deepest place :shock: It is a Murphy law to not be obvious.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ever since a local dealer "reassembled" my bike from doing the frame recall (in 2006), my cruise control has not worked. I have a feeling they forgot to connect it, but am not sure. The dealer did a sloppy job with reassembly. I found I had to go back and reassemble certain areas of the fairing that were loose. Anyway, I hope someone may have run into a problem with their cruise control not working after having the bike serviced or taken apart by a dealer. If you have any suggestions or tips to look at, please advise. If it is necessary for me to remove the housing and check, I am ok with that too. I simply want it to work again and don't want to bring back to the dealer. A note: the cruise worked the day I rode the bike into the dealer. They said they'll look at it, but will have to charge labor for the job because it can't be proven that they were the cause. Thanks.
They are gonna charge you for it ????

I think I would go to the top and have somebody's job !
But I just noticed its been since 06.....might be kind of hard to do that.

Mike

·
Registered
20,029 Posts
They are gonna charge you for it ????

But I just noticed its been since 06.....might be kind of hard to do that.

Mike
I didn't notice that. I thought the bike was an 06. Yeah, if you waited three years to go back and tell them they didn't do something right, you are out of luck dude. Dealers have a responsibility to back up their work, but the customer has a responsibility to report problems promptly.

Before you start tearing things down, check the fuses.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the orange cruise light coming on or is the whole cruise system dead?
When I flip the switch to turn on the cruise control, the power comes on. However, when I flip the switch to set the speed, nothing happens. I did see the light come on once last week, but then it went out. It lasted maybe a couple seconds.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't notice that. I thought the bike was an 06. Yeah, if you waited three years to go back and tell them they didn't do something right, you are out of luck dude. Dealers have a responsibility to back up their work, but the customer has a responsibility to report problems promptly. Before you start tearing things down, check the fuses.
It's been three years but the mileage since their service has only gained by 100 miles. I'm sad to say I hadn't driven the bike more than a few miles over the last couple years, primarily because I was attending graduate school. Now that I am finished with school, I am riding again.

The dealer should still fix it. The mileage at the time of service was around 11,500. The mileage now is about 11,680.

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,670 Posts
It is probably one of the cancel switches, brake lever, clutch lever, or back brake pedal. Odds are, it is the rear brake pedal switches, dealers tend to screw that one up when doing frame work and engine pulls.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is probably one of the cancel switches, brake lever, clutch lever, or back brake pedal. Odds are, it is the rear brake pedal switches, dealers tend to screw that one up when doing frame work and engine pulls.
Thanks. I'll look into it and see about these. You're probably true too. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
:agree::agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
21,517 Posts
good advice but anyone of those switches could fail at any time, might not have anything to do with the dealers work

i had a 2001 wing and rite from new the cruise control would shut off occasionally for no apparent reason, everytime i took it to a dealer to get fixed it would work perfect for them so they always suspected i was the one causing it to shut off, finally after about 30,000 miles the cruise control completly quit working, the dealer put a new switch on the right handlebar under warranty and it worked perfect the rest of the time i owned it

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your comments.

Update... the other day, I rode my bike to work. On the way home, got stuck in the pouring rain. After driving the highway for about 15mins, got off on way home and thought of trying to cruise. The cruise actually worked now, which was very odd.

I told my dad the story and he said that he had a similar experience with his '97 Aspencade, same thing when the dealer put the bike back and the cruise didn't work until my dad was in a rain storm and then it suddenly worked.

I haven't tried the cruise since the rain storm because it's been raining, but will soon to see if it's still working.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.