GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 with 50,000 miles on it and have not had any problems to speak of with my suspension yet. I do spend most of my riding time going to the mountains.

I would like to begin to upgrade the suspension as I believe I will keep this bike as opposed to buying new. I would appreciate if someone could "Draw me a Map" as to where to start. I know you can spend $$ on the Full Monty but I was hoping to start with things that would make the biggest difference first. I do not live near a Traxxion shop and figured I could do the work myself one step at a time thus keeping the cost down. Fred raves about the Triple Clamp so I thought that might be the first investment. Can all this work be done by most in the garage? Also can most upgrades be done quickly without a whole lot of down time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
That is an awful lot of variables to factor in. You have just started what is going to be a long thread. I hope you are up to it. :lol:

Before you can get any useful information form answers, the question that has to be asked is, what are you hoping to accomplish with a suspension upgrade? Are you just looking to refresh your suspension, or are you looking to see how much you can improve it from what it was like when new.

Depending on how bad the roads are that you ride on, 50K many times means that at least your springs are worn out. You can get a lot of bang for your buck by just rebuilding the front end and installing springs from Progressive, Traxxion, or Racetech.

From there, the options become complicated, and the cost vs benefit becomes less obvious.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
First...replace the fork springs, seals/bushings, oil and disconnect the anti-dive. A straight wound spring for your weight would be best...Traxxion, Racetech or Hyper something or other. Replace brake pads with OEM.

Second...the Traxx-Rite clamps are terrific and come with the AllBalls bearings. They really tighten up the front end.

Third...fork brace (if you feel the need after the clamp install)

Forth...this is where the arguments begin.

Down time is a matter of your ability and correct tools. Research the tools needed and have all parts on hand before starting your project. First tool should be Fred's DVDs.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I would start with a set of Traxxion springs only and the fork brace. Of course the lower bushings will probably need replacement. Possibly a set of AllBalls for the steering head.
That would be my suggestion, you'll see a big difference with that change and cost would be about $400.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
On my 02 with about the same mileage I went with the Progressive springs and new bushings and seals. Right now I don't plan on doing anything else anytime soon.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have an 02 with 50,000 miles on it and have not had any problems to speak of with my suspension yet. I do spend most of my riding time going to the mountains.

I would like to begin to upgrade the suspension as I believe I will keep this bike as opposed to buying new. I would appreciate if someone could "Draw me a Map" as to where to start. I know you can spend $$ on the Full Monty but I was hoping to start with things that would make the biggest difference first. I do not live near a Traxxion shop and figured I could do the work myself one step at a time thus keeping the cost down. Fred raves about the Triple Clamp so I thought that might be the first investment. Can all this work be done by most in the garage? Also can most upgrades be done quickly without a whole lot of down time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I'm going to be pretty blunt. I hope that you'll see I'm trying to help, not trying to attack. Your first question shows a lack of knowledge. As a first step, looking to be cost effective, a new triple clamp for almost $1000 is not a good idea. A $100 fork brace would be more like it. But there are good choices and bad ones on that. This is more complicated than you think. The Traxxion full Monty is aimed right at you. You don't need to learn anything, just show up with money.

Otherwise, knowledge is your friend. You need it to make good choices about what to do, nobody can give you a road map. The advice you get will vary widely, and, on the Internet, it's difficult to sort good from bad.

All that (and more below) said. The first thing in any suspension work is to know the stock stuff is in good condition. On a 2002, with 50K, you must pull the forks, replace the fork bushings and oil. New seals are cheap, and you'll want to pull them anyway, to replace the bushings. Most would say to put new springs in at this time, to save work. I'd say you don't know which springs to buy, and what you're trying to accomplish with the change. You can do springs later, and not even have to pull the forks. You'll find many opinions here on which springs to buy, and you won't know which to take. You must also grease and adjust the steering bearings, most would also say replace those while you're there. Better advice, but not necessarily correct. The stock bearings in good repair are not as bad as their reputation. If you do end up eventually getting the triple clamps, you'll be doing it again.

Those steps alone will likely make a difference on a bike that old. The next big difference is the springs, Hondas choice is really a mystery to me. So everybody likes the springs they got, since it's hard to do worse. Relatively few have either tried more than one, or analyzed which to get. Here's a thread that flushed some out, including me. You'll see the variety of opinion.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296207

The following is meant very seriously. It's the best advice I can give, and I've done exactly what you want to do. Piece by piece, modify my suspension myself, trying to be cost effective. If you want to do this yourself, piecemeal, your very first purchase should be this. Hands down.

http://www.amazon.com/Techs-Motorcy...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316876521&sr=1-3

4-1/2 of 5 stars on Amazon. It's written by a vendor, and there's a little salesmanship, easily ignored, but it's by far the best book out there on this stuff, written by a serious expert, detailed, and readable. I believe the author used to be the boss of the owner of Traxxion. After you've read the chapter on springs, you can read some discussions about springs here, and make a good choice. As a bonus there are many, many pictures of the internals of the fork, and how to do the work. Move your mouse over the picture of the book and click table of contents for a preview.

A far worse alternative is to just listen to a bunch of guys on the Internet talk about modifications they've done, and how happy they are with them. Modify your motorcycle, step by step, according to popular vote, and who has the most enthusiasm. After you read the book you'll be able to make much better judgments.

Good luck. Sincerely.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Mine 02- 116000mi on clock. At 69000mi. Started on front end New seals, bushings, all balls, fork brace, springs, disabled anti dive. Back- New take off from Flea-bay coplete rear shock with acuvator and spring. Had our mechanic install all, complete out of pocket expence less than $800. parts and labor. Bought most of items off Flea-bay. At 69000 rear shock was shot and leaking oil machnic discovered it. Nice to have a mechanic that really looks over your ride and looks for things that needs to be addressed either now or in the future. :bow:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Let me suggest another option. Contact Rick at Cogent Dynamics.

http://www.motocd.com/cd/

He does custom work and is an certified Race Tech and Ohlins Tech. He is more than capable of providing a solution. He uses Ohlins and well as Traxxion components and can modify both to suit. A visit to his shop will convince you.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts