GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set the FM1/FM2 radio preset to six difference stations. If I am on FM1 and I hit the #1 button and it is set to 90.5 if I go the #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 they are now all set to 90.5
Radio does the same on FM2. Fuses are all okay

·
Registered
19,862 Posts
I am reluctant to use the word impossible, because I have seen some bizarre things happen in electronics over the years. But this symptom is at the least highly unlikely. The microprocessor is not capable of storing presets in more than one memory location at a time. The more likely scenario is that you are not noticing something that is giving the appearance that this is happening.

We will need more info in order to help solve the problem. You will have to test a few things to find out what is really happening.

1. When you press each button, does the display show the corresponding preset number 1 through 6?
2. If you try to store a different station at a different location, such as preset 3, does it store that station. You have to go to a different station and then hit the preset to see if it comes back.
3. If you try to store something other than 90.5 at preset 1, does it change all the presets to that new station?
4. When you store a preset, are you verifying that the data was saved. When you hold down the preset button, the display will change and show that preset number. If you have "Beep" enabled, the radio will give a beep confirmation that the preset was stored. It usually takes about 2 seconds of holding the button down.

·
Vendor
15,871 Posts
Are there any small sand pebbles in any of the buttons ??? Are any of the buttons being held down with chrome bling or something like that ???

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You need Larry the Radio Guy!!! (y) ;););)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I set the FM1/FM2 radio preset to six difference stations. If I am on FM1 and I hit the #1 button and it is set to 90.5 if I go the #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 they are now all set to 90.5
Radio does the same on FM2. Fuses are all okay
yes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am reluctant to use the word impossible, because I have seen some bizarre things happen in electronics over the years. But this symptom is at the least highly unlikely. The microprocessor is not capable of storing presets in more than one memory location at a time. The more likely scenario is that you are not noticing something that is giving the appearance that this is happening.

We will need more info in order to help solve the problem. You will have to test a few things to find out what is really happening.

1. When you press each button, does the display show the corresponding preset number 1 through 6?
2. If you try to store a different station at a different location, such as preset 3, does it store that station. You have to go to a different station and then hit the preset to see if it comes back.
3. If you try to store something other than 90.5 at preset 1, does it change all the presets to that new station?
4. When you store a preset, are you verifying that the data was saved. When you hold down the preset button, the display will change and show that preset number. If you have "Beep" enabled, the radio will give a beep confirmation that the preset was stored. It usually takes about 2 seconds of holding the button down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I send my radio to Sierra Electronic and it checked out okay. When I get it back I will try to set the stations and I will answer you back with the results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Larry I got my radio back from Sierra Electronics and all is good with radio. I plug the radion in problem not fixed.
I set the FM1 1 Button to 90.5 I hold down the 1 button until I have a beep. Set 2 button to 91.5 until I hear a beep, so on
for button 3, 4 , 5 ,6. Then I press the 2 button and I get station 91.5 , hit the 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and get 91.5 station.
Help

·
Registered
19,862 Posts
I admit that this is perplexing me. I cannot think of anything in the radio that can cause this, and can't think of anything you could be doing wrong.

So let's try an experiment. Program just one button. Pick 6. Go up to a station up at the higher end, say 105.7 or so. Store that station with button #6. Don't store anything else. Using the manual up/down lever on the left handlebar, go down to a mid station around 98.5, away from your stored station. Now press your newly stored station at # 6. What station is displayed? If it did not go to your new station when you pressed #6, what memory location is shown on the display? Whenever you land on a station that is programmed into memory, the display will always show that preset number.

if it did store your new station, now press #1. What station did it go to, and what preset is displayed?

My logic here (no pun intended) is that I want to verify each station as it is programmed. Both of your tests were identical the way you described them, programming them all and only verifying at the end. This way might tell me something about the problem.

One last question. Did Sierra record the serial number of the radio on the invoice, or better yet, do you still have the top shelter off so that you can read the serial number? If so, can you post that number. It's on a silver label on top of the radio chassis. it begins with WDxxxxxxx

FWIW, there is nothing external to the radio that can affect memory programming. The microprocessor is in the radio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I admit that this is perplexing me. I cannot think of anything in the radio that can cause this, and can't think of anything you could be doing wrong.

So let's try an experiment. Program just one button. Pick 6. Go up to a station up at the higher end, say 105.7 or so. Store that station with button #6. Don't store anything else. Using the manual up/down lever on the left handlebar, go down to a mid station around 98.5, away from your stored station. Now press your newly stored station at # 6. What station is displayed? If it did not go to your new station when you pressed #6, what memory location is shown on the display? Whenever you land on a station that is programmed into memory, the display will always show that preset number.

if it did store your new station, now press #1. What station did it go to, and what preset is displayed?

My logic here (no pun intended) is that I want to verify each station as it is programmed. Both of your tests were identical the way you described them, programming them all and only verifying at the end. This way might tell me something about the problem.

One last question. Did Sierra record the serial number of the radio on the invoice, or better yet, do you still have the top shelter off so that you can read the serial number? If so, can you post that number. It's on a silver label on top of the radio chassis. it begins with WDxxxxxxx

FWIW, there is nothing external to the radio that can affect memory programming. The microprocessor is in the radio.
I turned the key on and then i disconnected the battery, then i turned the key off wait 5 minutes and turned the bike back on and i programmed the radio and all is okay. I also was holding the station key to long. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts