GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the specifications listed that it holds 6.6 gallons of fuel. Is that correct?
When I fill up I fill it up into the small filler neck about 1/3 of the way up. As full as I can get it without making a mess of spilled fuel.
I typically get 41 to 42 miles per gallon.
When the fuel gauge reads almost completely empty after around 200 miles, I stop to fill up and it usually only will take 4.6 to 4.8 gallons. Do I really have another 1.8 gallons of fuel in the tank?
If so, I can go another 70+ miles before running out.
Is that your experience?
Do you watch the fuel gauge or go by mileage on the trip meter?
Thanks for your suggestions or advice!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I ran my '13 completely out of gas and pushed it to the fuel pump and only got 6.4 in it. Maybe I could have gotten another .2 in it but not sure.

Reactions: copper wing

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know....and I wouldn't push it all the way to empty....but there's a big difference between 6.4 gallons and 4.6 gallons. Maybe I will have to try it one time with a spare gallon of fuel in the side case to see what it will really do on a tank. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
240 miles divided by 6.6 gallons means you'll possibly a pedestrian with a fuel mileage of ~36.3 MPG.

270 miles divided by 6.6 gallons is ~40.9 MPG

You'll run out of fuel somewhere between those two values the majority of the time.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Why running the tank to empty is a bad idea. (Car or Motorcycle)

1. You run the risk of running out of fuel. Duh!

2. The in-tank fuel pump is cooled somewhat by the fuel.

3. If you're running from a wildfire you have a chance. This is not a joke!

4. On a motorcycle it's time to get off and walk around after a couple of hours. More often if your old like me!

I always fill up at 1/2 tank. (Car or Motorcycle) I never worry about running out of fuel.

I'm sure their are other reasons, but these are enough for me!

Dang, I'm off the subject again. Sorry!

Ride safe,

Rayjoe

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've put 6.5+ gallons in mine once and wasn't completely dry (but it had to be close), so it will hold at least that much.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Looking back quickly thru my log book unless I've been towing the trailer I've gotten 44-46 mpg consistently whether two up or solo. Longest range on a tank this season was 256.5 miles/5.527 gallons (46.55 mpg). It's not my longest range, or best mileage, for the 2001since I've owned it but the "best" this season. It's getting colder now so mileage will drop off a bit.
I've put a bit over 6 gallons in at one time but that was a ride deep into the "red zone". Without digging into last year's log book memory seems to recall 275 miles that time.
Disclaimer: Miles and mileage based on odometer readings which are exaggerated by 2.5%.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have put 6.3 gallons in mine once, but should not run it that low. Fuel keeps the fuel pump cool on motorcycles, cars and airplanes. Stop when you have a quarter of a tank left as a rule of thumb.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When My low fuel warning light comes on, I know I have 1 gallon left in the tank. I’ve only let it go that low a few times, but each time it was the same. 1 gallon left when light came on. Since I average 40 mpg without the trailer, that means I have at most 40 miles before I’m pushing it.

I try to fill up at 1/8 to 1/4 tank, except when in the mountains then I get fuel when it’s near 1/2 tank.

The older I get, I usually need a rest stop long before the Wing does. 😎

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Yes, the tank capacity is 6.7 U.S. gallons.
No, I don’t intentionally try to take advantage of that generous amount.

I pay less attention to the fuel gauge than I do to the trip odometer. If I haven’t pre-planned my fuel stops (as I usually do) I start looking for fuel opportunities when the ODO hits about 180 miles. I often fill up with 4-5 gallons - plenty to spare.

YMMV.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
2001-2010 have 6.8. The book on my 2001 listed 6.8 in the book. I think somewhere around 2006, Honda dropped the listing to 6.6 without actually changing anything. I have pumped 6.6, 6.7 gallons often and occasionally 6.8 knowing I was on fumes on all of my 2001, 2002, 2006, and 2010's. The 2012-2017's likely also have 6.8 tanks as I don't think they changed the tank for those years.

·
Registered
963 Posts
At least virtually all the tank capacity is "useable". On the ST1300 the rated capacity was 7.7 if I recall, and there was aprox .3 gal that was in areas of the tank (lower corners, etc) that didn't drain out into the lower tank where the fuel pump sump was.
I had almost 400 miles on a tank with the 1300.

·
Registered
20,896 Posts
My 2002 has never been run out of fuel, my goal is typically to fuel sometime after 220 miles. Have put in 6.6 gallons a few times and once according to the pump I actually put in 6.7 gallons.
My Goldwing averages 43 mpg often more in the summer and less in the winter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
240 miles divided by 6.6 gallons means you'll possibly a pedestrian with a fuel mileage of ~36.3 MPG.

270 miles divided by 6.6 gallons is ~40.9 MPG

You'll run out of fuel somewhere between those two values the majority of the time.
That sounds right. I check my fuel mileage at every fillup and don't remember getting below 40 mpg....but that's always possible!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the great information. I don't plan to run it down below 5 gallons, but wanted to verify that it really holds over 6 gallons. And for the peace of mind if the gas station is closed that I planned to stop at, knowing that I can go another 60 miles or so before pushing it the rest of the way. Really appreciate all the great feedback....this is what makes this such a great forum!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts