GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a break in my frame on one side a a crack in the frame at the same spot on the other. Shop has sent pictures to Honda but haven't heard back from them yet. Has anyone seen this before? Any idea what caused it? I've had it a year. It rode fine going in summer trip in May. I did notice rear axle didn't seem even when I got back. It's even now but I had slight wobble in ride a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

·
IronMan
17,634 Posts
Older bikes had frame issues . Hopefully wont deny cause trike kit ! ?? Think was recall ??

·
Vendor
17,813 Posts

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
You can read through the various recalls here (SB-14, SB-17, and SB-18). To my knowledge, none of the frame recalls included that area.

http://www.justwings.com/RecallsBulletins.html
:agree: Welcome to the board. There’s no recall for the small tube breaks and the first thing Honda will do is say it was stressed too much being triked. Welding these tubes is not a good idea either, they are very thin walled and chances are it will just make it more brittle and break again. Your best bet is to find a good used 05 frame to swap over to, the late model year 04s and everything after have frames that are beefed up in these spots with longer gusset plates and reinforcing pieces welded onto them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honda will not cover any frame problems in that area. I have first hand knowledge of this because of mine being broken in same place. I talked Honda personally and there is no recall or warranty. I'm still looking for a salvage bike to replace the frame on mine. Good luck

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I would consult a reputable welder. I had a frame crack on a Harley and Harley no longer made the swing arm so I found a welder that knew what he was doing and repaired it with bar stock. This is more complicated than the break that I had but hey you never know...

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Techdude I need to find one with a title so I can take two and make one bike. To much of a headache to try and get one retitled.

·
Vendor
17,813 Posts
Thanks Techdude I need to find one with a title so I can take two and make one bike. To much of a headache to try and get one retitled.
At some point, at least for most, cost will become a factor. Buying a used whole Wing is not cheap. You can always buy a wrecked one, but that comes with a salvage title, and that may not be desirable either.

Another option is to purchase a new frame. Part #3 in the fishe below. A new frame will probably be cheaper than a wrecked Wing. I believe to title that, you then cut the old steering head with the VIN, and take that with your title, and GoldWing with its new frame into you local licensing department. Every state will be different. Actually, you might want to find out what your options are by calling your licensing department first.

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053ec7ff870021c54be425c/frame

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Greg makes a good point, you should check with your DMV and see what needs to be done if you bought the one on Ebay.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
At some point, at least for most, cost will become a factor. Buying a used whole Wing is not cheap. You can always buy a wrecked one, but that comes with a salvage title, and that may not be desirable either.

Another option is to purchase a new frame. Part #3 in the fishe below. A new frame will probably be cheaper than a wrecked Wing. I believe to title that, you then cut the old steering head with the VIN, and take that with your title, and GoldWing with its new frame into you local licensing department. Every state will be different. Actually, you might want to find out what your options are by calling your licensing department first.

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053ec7ff870021c54be425c/frame
Greg, just curious, have you ever swapped one of these frames yet?

·
Vendor
17,813 Posts
Greg, just curious, have you ever swapped one of these frames yet?
No ... but one of the most challenging part to transfer will be the main harness. I've replaced a couple of them on older 5th gens, and because the harnesses get old and stiff, I'd be concerned about pulling an old main harness between the frame rail supports ... of coarse in hopes that all the old crimps survive. Probably the best way to do that is to remove everything else first to make the area less crowded. A frame swap would be very labor intensive ... especially for someone not familiar with the routing of everything ... and everything really means everything !!! Most don't understand how important routing is on GoldWings. It is critical. Years ago when I started pulling engines for transmission repairs, I spent hours studying those routing diagram. Over the years it has paid off ten fold. If I hadn't, I would not want to work on what I had just repaired !!!

Occasionally I get a Wing in that has had an engine pull, or a frame swap, that was obviously done by someone who really didn't know what they were doing. The issues almost always has to do with routing. The last one was about 4 month ago. The customer had recently bought a Wing and wanted a major service done (24k service). After about an hour, I stopped and called the customer saying that this is a Wing I have no interest in working on. Sometimes harnesses, hoses, tubing, etc can be so messed up that reinstalling any part can become labor intensive. For example, a wire harness that is misrouted that covers up a side cover grommet. So to get the side cover back on, one has to prob from the back side with a 90 deg pic trying to push the harness out of the way to push the cover's boss into the grommet. Once you get all lined up, now you gotta deal with a harness wanting to push the side cover out of it's boss.

Here is one that probably had a warranty transmission repair. See picture 1, circle #4. Actually, look at the pictures in the entire thread.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/129...e-pull-2-pictures-21-installation-errors.html

Below is a good example. See the gap in 45 ??? Most would pull the tray off from around fuel cap, fit it all back together, so the gap is corrected. Then go to put the shelter on, only to find out that when they opened the fuel cover, the gap is back. So they take the shelter off again and refit the tray. But see that harness that is routed above the tank vent and between the RF corner of the tray ??? The harness is pushing up on the tray. The tray will never fit right, unless everything in that picture is corrected. Look how pulled the wires are because of the routing in 46. And in 50 the ECM stay is missing a shouldered bolt that properly positions the ECM stay. That mean that the entire stay for the ECM is out of alignment.

Sorry, for the long post. 1/2 through writing it I realized I had pictures of a seriously messed up one from long ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My new-to-me 2004 had hairline crack in same area... Later research showed that this is a Very common problem for the early years of the 1800.
As others mentioned, Honda's recall for the Frame Crack was not for this area, and not only will Honda not touch it, but you likely will not find a Honda Dealer that will even "Look" at it, for fear that they will then have to work on it... which they (5 Honda dealers in my experience) refuse to touch it.

I ended up going to a local Motorcycle Frame Builder/Repairer who beefed up the frame in this area, trying as best we could to match the more beefy design of later years. So far so good after 1 year of riding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts